Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:26 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I don't think I've seen a post here about a single Canadian allocation yet. I wonder if they skipped us for the first round since there's not much use for the cars up here in winter anyway. Maybe our deliveries will start in the spring?
That's what I'm hoping for. This year is a write off.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
.... a chance to give him an extra $25k?
No, for some reason, I don't get that vibe from this dealer, but who knows. I told every dealer I talked to straight up that I had zero interest in anything other than MSRP. He's one of three that's still talking to me, though some others took my info just in case. I've decided I'm not paying a premium. Don't need the car.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
anybody else not worried about not getting a car because $160K can buy you a lot of other things?
Exactly. When you step back and realize how much that money buys, it gives perspective to everything.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:45 AM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No, for some reason, I don't get that vibe from this dealer, but who knows. I told every dealer I talked to straight up that I had zero interest in anything other than MSRP. He's one of three that's still talking to me, though some others took my info just in case. I've decided I'm not paying a premium. Don't need the car.

Cool! good luck! Out of state?
Old 04-15-2017, 01:38 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

As another data point, I talked with my East Coast dealership SA (I bought a GT4 from him, the dealership management apparently liked me for the GT4 despite the fact that I'm a nobody; I was just fortunate to have a 993 and a 944, was local, and not a flipper). I was told that, regarding the 991.2 GT3, they are currently in discussions internally about how to allocate the cars to customers. They are thinking that MSRP is possible, despite the comment a year ago that future GT cars would be sold at market price. Also, they'd want to sell to current GT owners who would trade in to them, and who would not be flippers.

So, my immediate thought is that if the GT3 could be had for MSRP, you're paying several thousand $$ by losing a bit in trading in to them. However, you're likely saving in the tax area, so it would probably be a wash, or at least close. But not paying $20-30k over is certainly good! My thought is that, after the initial demand, hoopla, and surcharge for this car, things will settle down and settle out and, when folks who are high on lists pass on the car, those further down will be able to get the car, and probably at or close to MSRP. Lists may or may not be adhered to, as well. When hunting for a GT4, I was on a list (pretty far down, no deposit) at another dealership and was called by them, too. But I was never on a list at the dealer I bought from. If they like you, and fit their profile, they will sell to you. And relationships count. YMMV, though! Now I have to figure out if the GT3 would be a fit for me, and how to steal/print/earn for it if I decide that it is.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Cool! good luck! Out of state?
Yes, out of state unfortunately. I still give it a very low probability, but I figure if I spread my net wide enough, ya never know. Out of all the out of state dealers I've contacted, I'm guessing about 4-5 of them have my name in their rolodex now in case they ever have an allocation unsold. I've told them all that I'll pay all cash, but it has to be configurable and sold at sticker. So I figure my only real chance going that route is if the market turns or hysteria dies down, and more likely at a small market dealer that those factors would lead to an open car. My best bet is still my local dealer eventually getting me a car before the run ends and I'm just gonna wait it out.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:46 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yes, out of state unfortunately. I still give it a very low probability, but I figure if I spread my net wide enough, ya never know. Out of all the out of state dealers I've contacted, I'm guessing about 4-5 of them have my name in their rolodex now in case they ever have an allocation unsold. I've told them all that I'll pay all cash, but it has to be configurable and sold at sticker. So I figure my only real chance going that route is if the market turns or hysteria dies down, and more likely at a small market dealer that those factors would lead to an open car. My best bet is still my local dealer eventually getting me a car before the run ends and I'm just gonna wait it out.

My suggestion if you want to increase you chance is:

1. Tell them you're willing to build a slightly higher MSRP car, in fact give them a Porsche code. Sometimes sales manager one day will be a Fxxx it, just put it in order since he already have your build in hand.

2. Tell them you're willing to finance and don't mind them marking up the interest rate a bit. Like Martin have asked me before, dealer loves this. If they mark up your rate 1-2%, bank will give them kick back of around 5-10k (depending on actual rate, which bank, and how much financed). Since that is because the bank calculates it based on you completely the 60-72 month term, because they assumes you can't write a check for 100k+ if you're going to finance. However, you can just pay off the bank after 3 months and you only paid $400 per month on interest. Just make sure you do pay at least 3 billing cycles or the bank will retract the kick back and dealer will be screwed over and you'll probably lose future chance of getting cars from them again.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:49 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 247 Posts

2. Tell them you're willing to finance and don't mind them marking up the interest rate a bit. Like Martin have asked me before, dealer loves this. If they mark up your rate 1-2%, bank will give them kick back of around 5-10k (depending on actual rate, which bank, and how much financed). Since that is because the bank calculates it based on you completely the 60-72 month term, because they assumes you can't write a check for 100k+ if you're going to finance. However, you can just pay off the bank after 3 months and you only paid $400 per month on interest. Just make sure you do pay at least 3 billing cycles or the bank will retract the kick back and dealer will be screwed over and you'll probably lose future chance of getting cars from them again.
This is something I learned only several years ago. People used to say walking in with cash created leverage but these days the kick backs from financings really boost your leverage.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:59 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by jlee504
This is something I learned only several years ago. People used to say walking in with cash created leverage but these days the kick backs from financings really boost your leverage.

Yea, there is literally zero leverage for paying cash. To most dealers, they are the worse customers.

Once a customer is approved, the bank sends the dealer the amount for the entire car, and the dealer is off the hook forever. Dealer is not taking risks.

You might see some dealers favoring cash customers where the Sales Manager is extremely lazy and doesn't want to submit credit apps, call banks, or deal with uncertainty that you might get not approved. Usually at super volume dealers like Nissan and Toyota, but most of these dealers still prefer financing or leasing. Plus with market research, leasing customers are like 5 times likely to turn to the same dealer within 2-3 years to buy another car compare to cash buyers.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Yea, there is literally zero leverage for paying cash. To most dealers, they are the worse customers.

Once a customer is approved, the bank sends the dealer the amount for the entire car, and the dealer is off the hook forever. Dealer is not taking risks.

You might see some dealers favoring cash customers where the Sales Manager is extremely lazy and doesn't want to submit credit apps, call banks, or deal with uncertainty that you might get not approved. Usually at super volume dealers like Nissan and Toyota, but most of these dealers still prefer financing or leasing. Plus with market research, leasing customers are like 5 times likely to turn to the same dealer within 2-3 years to buy another car compare to cash buyers.
How much extra would the cost of having a lease for 3-4 months and then paying the car off in full. Does it provide the dealer more benefit than using financing?
Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
How much extra would the cost of having a lease for 3-4 months and then paying the car off in full. Does it provide the dealer more benefit than using financing?

No.... leasing is almost twice the APR as financing, and you have to pay acquisition fee. And no it doesn't provide more benefit.

Leasing is only advantageous if you lease throughout the whole time you own it (to save that 15-17k excise sales tax), you actually save more money than paying cash. You'll have to keep the car for less than 4 years to be advantageous to you.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:06 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

No.... leasing is almost twice the APR as financing, and you have to pay acquisition fee. And no it doesn't provide more benefit.

Leasing is only advantageous if you lease throughout the whole time you own it (to save that 15-17k excise sales tax), you actually save more money than paying cash. You'll have to keep the car for less than 4 years to be advantageous to you.
Careful, the tax advantage of leasing varies by state. In Texas for example, you actually pay sales tax on the full value of the leased car, not just the leased value, just as if you were buying it.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Careful, the tax advantage of leasing varies by state. In Texas for example, you actually pay sales tax on the full value of the leased car, not just the leased value, just as if you were buying it.

Yup, exactly, I was more pointing towards Martin's case.

In Texas, you'll also be able to deduct your trade in car's value to off set the sales tax, so if you trade in a car at same value as your new car, you pay almost 0 tax.

In California, Michigan, Kentucky, Hawaii, Virginia and Maryland you cannot do so, so people often consider lease a lot more to avoid paying a hefty amount of sales tax.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:28 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1

And to add on, if anyone is interested: the states that require upfront sales tax are New York, Texas, Illinois, Georgia, Minnesota and Ohio.

The rest of the 44 states you'll be able to pay only the monthly sales tax.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Not to my dealer. In the past, when I was waffling about financing a car because money was so cheap, they were very happy when I said I'd just write a check. When I was discussing the chance of getting a GT3 with my SA, he said that in the past, lots of the people that said they wanted cars but then wound up not being able/willing to write the check/line up financing. Caused them a bunch of headaches. He knows I mean what I say and there will be no finance needs, and that was a plus to him. In the end, he said they are deciding who gets their cars based on three criteria. What have you bought from them in the past, how much service do you have done at the dealership, and whether you're local or not. He did say, a bigger build has an advantage, but only to a point. I've got about $20k in options, which he said was fine. My issue is simply that I've only bought two cars from them and only had about a 30 month service relationship. I only got back into cars after a bad motorcycle crash about 2-1/2 years ago left me unable to ride anymore. I'm sure there are a lot of people ahead of me based on the criteria, though he has so far indicated that I've got a shot.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread