Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS - Won't Make the Same Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 11:20 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

I wouldn't advocate buying something you can't afford but if you can I wouldn't worry about paying a little over. It's a great car and RS's tend to hold value.

To get any future RS you are going to need a strong relationship to get whatever is next at MSRP.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Too many wanna-be penny pinching investors on here. Buy the car and drive the damn car.
Here here.

Zero interest on my part to buy a car and not drive/track it. RS is tempting. Waiting to see what shakes out in March with the .2GT3. I could see myself just opting for a .1 RS over the .2GT3 - allocation availability and "market adjustment" will factor in heavily for me.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:44 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

[quote=usctrojanGT3]They built a .2GT3, .2GT3RS, .2GT2RS, and a 4.0GT3RS in the .2 versions of the 997 platform, why would they only do a .2GT3 and .2GT2RS with the 991 platform in the .2 versions? Makes no economic sense and as they say...if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. [

Just can't figure out how to make the 991.2rs interesting. The gen 1 is amazing, the gt2rs will be like a super fast gen1 RS.

I'm sure they will make a limited edition nr plaque edition "cup edition"
Old 01-28-2017, 02:02 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

[QUOTE=997rs4.0;13916724]
They built a .2GT3, .2GT3RS, .2GT2RS, and a 4.0GT3RS in the .2 versions of the 997 platform, why would they only do a .2GT3 and .2GT2RS with the 991 platform in the .2 versions? Makes no economic sense and as they say...if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. [

Just can't figure out how to make the 991.2rs interesting. The gen 1 is amazing, the gt2rs will be like a super fast gen1 RS.

I'm sure they will make a limited edition nr plaque edition "cup edition"
They already made enough of those...it's called an R. Why limit the number of cars sold to 911 or 991 or whatever when they can pump out 5,000+ cars and sell all of them.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:10 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Interesting conversation with a local dealer today. My SA isn't 100 percent that he can get me a .2 allocation, so I've been calling around to see if anyone has a list that's still short enough to leave a chance of getting a car. Called a number of dealers, all very nice, all said the list is already so long, they've stopped taking deposits. One said they would take a deposit, but that their list is also fairly long and the chance I'd get a car is very low.

Except one dealer. They were an outlier. But not in a good way. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: "Curious, are you still taking deposits for the new GT3 or is your list already a mile long?"

Salesman: "Oh, we don't do a list for the GT cars."

Me: "Oh, do you just dole out the allocations to your best customers first and then offer any additional allocations to other customers?"

Salesman: "No, we don't give allocations to anyone. We spec all the cars the way we think the market is demanding and then we offer them for a market price."

Me: "So you don't let your customer configure any of your allocations."

Salesman: "No."

Every single GT car they get is dealer spec, ask/sell for a premium. That's a little wacked if you ask me.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:21 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

^ Complete travesty that a car cannot be built to order because the dealer is so greedy. Unfortunately, these dealer games have really hurt the ability for buyers to spec cars on their own. Something that Porsche should really think about and look into
Old 01-28-2017, 02:23 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Interesting conversation with a local dealer today. My SA isn't 100 percent that he can get me a .2 allocation, so I've been calling around to see if anyone has a list that's still short enough to leave a chance of getting a car. Called a number of dealers, all very nice, all said the list is already so long, they've stopped taking deposits. One said they would take a deposit, but that their list is also fairly long and the chance I'd get a car is very low.

Except one dealer. They were an outlier. But not in a good way. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: "Curious, are you still taking deposits for the new GT3 or is your list already a mile long?"

Me: "Oh, do you just dole out the allocations to your best customers first and then offer any additional allocations to other customers?"

Salesman: "No, we don't give allocations to anyone. We spec all the cars the way we think the market is demanding and then we offer them for a market price."

Every single GT car they get is dealer spec, ask/sell for a premium. That's a little wacked if you ask me.
Let me guess....

Old 01-28-2017, 03:32 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Auto Gallery? McKenna? Scottsdale? Do tell...
Old 01-28-2017, 07:42 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

LOL Karma?
I recall you jumping in on all the + MSRP threads to chirp in that it was free market blah blah blah... and how it's not dealers fault.. blah blah blah.. dealers should be free to do what they please..

Looks like you've come full circle... GL with the "market" price that you were defending.. I hope you pay what you deserve...
Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Smart way to run a business...not. I would never step foot again into a dealership like this. I've never been so smitten with a car that I would ever pay over MSRP for it, just based on principle. Lots of other dealers around, and lots of other marques to choose from. Porsche is not the only company that knows how to make a great car. Fortunately, my local Porsche dealership doesn't pull crap like this.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolute CRAP. My gut tells me, you'll get your wish and find an allocation. Best of luck.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

I g'tee you they have a short list of VIP whales that they let spec their GT cars. Not talking 918 vips, but a good portion that would be in this bucket are 918 guys also. I'm willing to bet, past their short list of longer-term customers that buy lots and lots of Porsche product from them every year, they dole out the rest dealer spec'd and "at market". And that's the story you got from them because you are not on their short list. I'm not advocating their model is correct but I am betting they have a group of customers that they would give a very different answer from what you received.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 01-28-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by DannieK
Let me guess....

The rep of this dealer is not too far off that.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Auto Gallery? McKenna? Scottsdale? Do tell...
No, more local to me. I will say that it was NOT Sonnen, Rector, Fremont or Stevens Creek.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by RealityGT
LOL Karma?
I recall you jumping in on all the + MSRP threads to chirp in that it was free market blah blah blah... and how it's not dealers fault.. blah blah blah.. dealers should be free to do what they please..

Looks like you've come full circle... GL with the "market" price that you were defending.. I hope you pay what you deserve...
I think you missed the point of my post. I'm mostly shocked by the fact that they won't let a single customer configure their car. On the premium side, just the fact that they're not selling some to their best customers at MSRP surprises me. I have no problem with the premium and expect I may have to pay one to get a car when the time comes. But if I did, it would have to be a configurable allocation.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS - Won't Make the Same Mistake