Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3RS - Won't Make the Same Mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I g'tee you they have a short list of VIP whales that they let spec their GT cars. Not talking 918 vips, but a good portion that would be in this bucket are 918 guys also. I'm willing to bet, past their short list of longer-term customers that buy lots and lots of Porsche product from them every year, they dole out the rest dealer spec'd and "at market". And that's the story you got from them because you are not on their short list. I'm not advocating their model is correct but I am betting they have a group of customers that they would give a very different answer from what you received.
Could be, but the actual conversation was a little longer than I posted and he made it clear that they don't give configurable allocations to anybody. Given the location of the dealer and the money around, I find that hard to believe myself. Interestingly, of all the SA's I've talked to at dealers so far, this guy was the only one who sounded like a douche from start to finish.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:29 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I have spoken to the 2 dealers I have done business with before and both have changed their GT sales policy because ownership felt too much money was being left on the table by adhering to the former MSRP policy.

The out of the area dealer placed me first on the list, but said this time around I will get skipped over if locals line up behind me. In the past, since I was a past GT client I was not skipped over. Secondly, this dealer is now selling at a market premium, but not the full premium if a past customer.

My local dealer intends to sell at market price and it's unclear what role the list will play. Probably, they will go down the list and see who bites at the biggest premium in a type of free-for-all. Alternatively, I suspect they will elect to spec some of the allocations themselves and place them on the floor for open bidding.

Not sure I want to play these games anymore, so hopefully Porsche addresses this problem with higher production.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

We'll just let them sit on their cars. Bad news for Porsche if this happens. A lot of unsold gt3s sitting in showrooms at dealer markups makes Stuttgart think there is less demand and therefore will produce less cars.

I doubt a lot of buyers will be happy to pay the premium now when we all know they can be had for MSRP later in the production cycle.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:26 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Nashville deal has been clear - they are going to charge a market adjustment, period. I'm on the list and they have a cc auth deposit from me for whatever that is worth. I expect when push comes to shove if they offer me a configurable slot I'll bend over and pay the premium. If they don't then the hunt begins for an allocation or a flipped car I guess. Good news is I like my .1 GT3 and will run it until I get a .2 deal that works for me.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:25 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Humble suggestion. 918 VIP guys may not want a "lowly" gt3.. they just bother with RS and above. talk to them about their allocations. Maybe they'll be kind enough to just pass it on to you.. best part is, they are guaranteed PTS. Don't tell anyone I said This.

(Now im Going Back into hiding until spring 2018)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Humble suggestion. 918 VIP guys may not want a "lowly" gt3.. they just bother with RS and above. talk to them about their allocations. Maybe they'll be kind enough to just pass it on to you.. best part is, they are guaranteed PTS. Don't tell anyone I said This.

(Now im Going Back into hiding until spring 2018)
I'll miss you Alex. Talk to you next year.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
I'll miss you Alex. Talk to you next year.
Hiding ON THAT PARTICULAR SUBJECT I meant.. (you can breath easier now Aldo)
Old 01-28-2017, 10:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Hiding ON THAT PARTICULAR SUBJECT I meant.. (you can breath easier now Aldo)
Shhhhhhhhhh
Old 01-29-2017, 01:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,687 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No, more local to me. I will say that it was NOT Sonnen, Rector, Fremont or Stevens Creek.
oh, michael stead....
well... the man wont be around long
and u talked to perry e.?
or was it mike?
i know all of them.
i used to go visit the receptionist.
that's about all that's good there.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:55 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mooty
oh, michael stead....
well... the man wont be around long
and u talked to perry e.?
or was it mike?
i know all of them.
i used to go visit the receptionist.
that's about all that's good there.
Not Stead. Couldn't even get them on the phone. You can probably figure it out now, only two left.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:02 AM
SZFL6
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership in question have a white RS coming in Feb and they will give potential buyers "the privilege to reserve the car" by agreeing to pay 75-100K over. WTF!!!
Old 01-29-2017, 02:30 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Not Stead. Couldn't even get them on the phone. You can probably figure it out now, only two left.
You just need to increase the premium you are willing to pay. Outbid the competition and I guarantee you will get an allocation. Don't be so cheap!
Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
You just need to increase the premium you are willing to pay. Outbid the competition and I guarantee you will get an allocation. Don't be so cheap!
If I can't get an allocation from my dealer, I'm gonna wait and see what the premiums look like and decide then. If it's a reasonable number and I really want the car, I'll have no trouble paying a moderate premium, particularly if it's a configurable allocation. That's the key for me, because I want a fairly stripper car and it seems so many of the cars on the secondary market are bloated builds. And all those unwanted options, plus a premium and it gets kinda nuts.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by SZFL6
The dealership in question have a white RS coming in Feb and they will give potential buyers "the privilege to reserve the car" by agreeing to pay 75-100K over. WTF!!!
My dealer has a fantastic build RS on it's floor with a similar premium. Really nice car, but it's been sitting there a long time. I do believe they sold some of their RS's at sticker though, but not certain.

Another dealer texted me yesterday offering me an RS they have coming in. I texted back 'at sticker?'... RS is too much car for me or I would have followed up to find out more.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

My dealer has a fantastic build RS on it's floor with a similar premium. Really nice car, but it's been sitting there a long time. I do believe they sold some of their RS's at sticker though, but not certain.

Another dealer texted me yesterday offering me an RS they have coming in. I texted back 'at sticker?'... RS is too much car for me or I would have followed up to find out more.
At $75k-$100k over they'll be sitting on the car for longer.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3RS - Won't Make the Same Mistake