Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 713 Likes on 335 Posts

Besides Whoopsy's logical comments regarding a potential lack of connection to future motorsport (turbo) engines, will there even be enough time to include a .2 RS in the 991 product lifecycle? I thought the 992 was to be a 2019 model, which means it should be shown sometime in 2018 (Frankfurt/Paris?).

I agree with TRAKCAR that the GT2 RS will be the new RS, but that Porsche will also do a final LE 'cup' edition RS with a NA. Whether it's a 4.2 or 4.0 with extra light weight goodies remains to be seen.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:30 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Whoopsy.. will there be a limited edition end of production NA RS Unicorn? (Just nod vigorously if yes, shrug innocently if no)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 658 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Ignoring whether there are secret insider information or not. We can use common sense based on what's already out. .2 GT3 is gonna be shown in Geneva. GT2RS is gonna come out in the summer. in Porsche language, the 3 in GT models has always been NA cars and a 2 means turbo cars. Ever since FIA changed the names of the sports car racing to GTE, the GT3 and GT2 classes are no more, hence there isn't a direct connection with the names now. Their current race cars, the new Cup car is based on the .2GT3, the GT3R, which was just updated, is based on the current GT3RS. The GT3RSR, which has always been an extension of the GT3R, was just updated also to have a new mid-engine layout. All 3 cars are basically using the Gen 2 DFI 4.0L flat 6. Which will be the engine going into the GT3 as a Gen 2.5. This is all for 2017. Which was all set back in 2016. For 2018, Porsche might have no choice but to go to turbo engines to compete in the GTE class, which means no more racing NA engines, and no connections to road cars anymore. To maintain the connection to road cars, the incoming GT2RS can be used to homologate the 2018 race cars, GT3R and GT3RSR, and the turbo engine that will be in those race cars. Now, IF Porsche do a .2 GT3RS, what's the connection to their race cars? They only needed one if they want to stay NA for their 2018 GT3R, GT3RSR. Which seems highly unlikely. Ferrari, Ford has gone to turbo cars and left the Porsche cars in the dust. Aston Martin has already gone turbo with the DB11, that basically means the Vantage replacement will be having the AMG TT V8 soon, or even the TT V12. Their race cars will be going turbo also. The only reason Porsche will do a .2 GT3RS will be if their 2017 GT3RSR are highly competitive, winning most of the races with the NA mid engine layout. Then they might stick to NA engines for 2018 race cars and needed the .2 GT3RS as the base.
Whoopsy mic drop! Although I am sure most everybody was sand bagging at the Roar I'm skeptical but hopeful the RSR will be competitive with the Fords and Ferraris. But they were a second off most of the test. Anybody have any secret info?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Finally we have some meat... it's falling into place.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ Right, you either believe in a 4.2L or straight to as many as they can build non-LE GT2RS.
I don't know who started the 4.2L rumor (I know it wasn't you Peter), but it is parroted around this website by people who don't follow or understand endurance racing and who apparently don't understand the flat 6 engine architecture.

If the factory were comfortable with 4.2L swept volume (or any size larger than 4.0L), why haven't they done it years ago? They aren't, they won't.

Ignoring whether there are secret insider information or not.

We can use common sense based on what's already out.

.2 GT3 is gonna be shown in Geneva. GT2RS is gonna come out in the summer. in Porsche language, the 3 in GT models has always been NA cars and a 2 means turbo cars. Ever since FIA changed the names of the sports car racing to GTE, the GT3 and GT2 classes are no more, hence there isn't a direct connection with the names now.

Their current race cars, the new Cup car is based on the .2GT3, the GT3R, which was just updated, is based on the current GT3RS. The GT3RSR, which has always been an extension of the GT3R, was just updated also to have a new mid-engine layout. All 3 cars are basically using the Gen 2 DFI 4.0L flat 6. Which will be the engine going into the GT3 as a Gen 2.5.

This is all for 2017. Which was all set back in 2016.

For 2018, Porsche might have no choice but to go to turbo engines to compete in the GTE class, which means no more racing NA engines, and no connections to road cars anymore.

To maintain the connection to road cars, the incoming GT2RS can be used to homologate the 2018 race cars, GT3R and GT3RSR, and the turbo engine that will be in those race cars.

Now, IF Porsche do a .2 GT3RS, what's the connection to their race cars? They only needed one if they want to stay NA for their 2018 GT3R, GT3RSR. Which seems highly unlikely. Ferrari, Ford has gone to turbo cars and left the Porsche cars in the dust. Aston Martin has already gone turbo with the DB11, that basically means the Vantage replacement will be having the AMG TT V8 soon, or even the TT V12. Their race cars will be going turbo also.

The only reason Porsche will do a .2 GT3RS will be if their 2017 GT3RSR are highly competitive, winning most of the races with the NA mid engine layout. Then they might stick to NA engines for 2018 race cars and needed the .2 GT3RS as the base.
Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Whoopsy mic drop! Although I am sure most everybody was sand bagging at the Roar I'm skeptical but hopeful the RSR will be competitive with the Fords and Ferraris. But they were a second off most of the test. Anybody have any secret info?
I've been told the RSR was carrying around some large bags of sand at the Roar, but I'm afraid that the Stuttgart boys will need to be supplicating for some sweet, sweet BOP to make them competitive.

Even if the 2017 IMSA and - more importantly - WEC seasons are a washout for Porsche I don't see them moving to a turbo lump for GTE/GTLM until the arrival of the 992 (or whatever it's called), which will herald the arrival of an all-new GT race car. When has Porsche ever done that sort of thing? Much easier to lobby for helpful BOP until there is an opportunity to right the ship with the 992.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 546 Posts

Ignoring whether there are secret insider information or not.

We can use common sense based on what's already out.

.2 GT3 is gonna be shown in Geneva. GT2RS is gonna come out in the summer. in Porsche language, the 3 in GT models has always been NA cars and a 2 means turbo cars. Ever since FIA changed the names of the sports car racing to GTE, the GT3 and GT2 classes are no more, hence there isn't a direct connection with the names now.

Their current race cars, the new Cup car is based on the .2GT3, the GT3R, which was just updated, is based on the current GT3RS. The GT3RSR, which has always been an extension of the GT3R, was just updated also to have a new mid-engine layout. All 3 cars are basically using the Gen 2 DFI 4.0L flat 6. Which will be the engine going into the GT3 as a Gen 2.5.

This is all for 2017. Which was all set back in 2016.

For 2018, Porsche might have no choice but to go to turbo engines to compete in the GTE class, which means no more racing NA engines, and no connections to road cars anymore.

To maintain the connection to road cars, the incoming GT2RS can be used to homologate the 2018 race cars, GT3R and GT3RSR, and the turbo engine that will be in those race cars.

Now, IF Porsche do a .2 GT3RS, what's the connection to their race cars? They only needed one if they want to stay NA for their 2018 GT3R, GT3RSR. Which seems highly unlikely. Ferrari, Ford has gone to turbo cars and left the Porsche cars in the dust. Aston Martin has already gone turbo with the DB11, that basically means the Vantage replacement will be having the AMG TT V8 soon, or even the TT V12. Their race cars will be going turbo also.

The only reason Porsche will do a .2 GT3RS will be if their 2017 GT3RSR are highly competitive, winning most of the races with the NA mid engine layout. Then they might stick to NA engines for 2018 race cars and needed the .2 GT3RS as the base.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 658 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I don't know who started the 4.2L rumor (I know it wasn't you Peter), but it is parroted around this website by people who don't follow or understand endurance racing and who apparently don't understand the flat 6 engine architecture. If the factory were comfortable with 4.2L swept volume (or any size larger than 4.0L), why haven't they done it years ago? They aren't, they won't. I've been told the RSR was carrying around some large bags of sand at the Roar, but I'm afraid that the Stuttgart boys will need to be supplicating for some sweet, sweet BOP to make them competitive. Even if the 2017 IMSA and - more importantly - WEC seasons are a washout for Porsche I don't see them moving to a turbo lump for GTE/GTLM until the arrival of the 992 (or whatever it's called), which will herald the arrival of an all-new GT race car. When has Porsche ever done that sort of thing? Much easier to lobby for helpful BOP until there is an opportunity to right the ship with the 992.
Thanks for the RSR info Guest 89...
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
The reason that there are only 2 is that due to emissions regulations everyone switched to turbo. Comments like this suggest that incremental HP gains would have hit a brick wall if not for emissions regulations forcing us to turbo. Whilst I agree that the commercial drivers for Porsche to innovate in the NA space are diminished, based on commentary from Porsche themselves I think they recognise that there is still a market for small volume high margin NA cars (and potentially a market that they have exclusive ownership of).

The turbo race cars' advantage is not the HP. it's the torque output, especially low down. it's the first 50-100m after corner exits that make the big difference. If one car can gain an advantage there, the rest of the pack will playing catchup for the whole straight.

That's Porsche's current racing philosophy, which they applied to the 919 race car and the 918 hybrid. One reason why the 918 is suppose to be slower on paper but it isn't. It gets up to speed quicker and while it might achieve a lower ultimate top speed on straight, it just covers the area under the curve quicker.

N/A engine is already hitting a brick wall if you haven't noticed, 120-130HP per litre is basically the current wall. To add more power to an NA engine, one has to either have a bigger displacement or spin it faster. Neither of which are attractive. Spinning something faster means more exotic materials and that drives up cost, while bigger displacement means worse fuel economy and higher insurance costs. For street cars, a turbo engine is attractive as it is cheap and easy to add power, basically just turn up the boost. The engine won't be spinning as fast hence cheaper, while it does need stronger material but those aren't expensive. Smaller displacement means during off boost government test cycles they will have a great showing, and the lower displacement also move the cars to a lower insurance bracket for certain countries.

Porsche can always keep the GT3 around for NA cars to fulfill a NA niche product, they don't need to keep around a NA GT3RS. An RS is always the hardcore track car that race cars are based on.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 277 Posts

Well if you boys are correct, it sounds like the .2 GT3 will be NA while the 991 GT2RS will be the turbo version of the .2 GT3RS. Exciting time we live in
Old 01-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

Even if the 2017 IMSA and - more importantly - WEC seasons are a washout for Porsche I don't see them moving to a turbo lump for GTE/GTLM until the arrival of the 992 (or whatever it's called), which will herald the arrival of an all-new GT race car. When has Porsche ever done that sort of thing? Much easier to lobby for helpful BOP until there is an opportunity to right the ship with the 992.
They don't have to do both engine and body change over at the same time.

If the NA engine remains competitive, yes, they could keep it around for one more season before the change over. But if it's not, they could change over the engine first and then let the body catch up. It would mean they can gain an extra year of development for the 992 race car engines.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Its why they brought the super duper slower R back.

RS to keep up with the competition (BTW I think the TTS motor and PDKS are a perfect combo) and the slower, clunkier, funner manual for the purist that thinks a great 964 or 997 is too pure or fun, or out of warranty.

The R made it cool to buy the slower cheaper clunkier purer funner GT3 next year.
First by making it LE it drags the whole manual market up, only to then position the GT3 and let the market down gently.

R owners don't care at all. It's a LE and always willl be.
No one who owns a 997GT2RS will care about all the manual Turbos.

Leave off the CF front end, magnesium roof and diffuser and I bet good money it's the GT3.
Awesome car, everyone will be happy.

NA will be missed but there's just no room for a lower NA RS even though it's an awesome car.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Porsche can always keep the GT3 around for NA cars to fulfill a NA niche product, they don't need to keep around a NA GT3RS. An RS is always the hardcore track car that race cars are based on.
I feel this may be part of what AP alluded to when he previously suggested the GT3 and RS will be diverging more and more. I believe we will see even greater differences in the power plant, transmission, chassis, materials, and purpose (purist driving experience vs all-out race performance) of these two cars in the future. Who knows, and who really cares, if the RS remains a "GT3" variant, a "GT2" variant, both, or something entirely different. It remains the ultimate. If the GT4 and R have taught us anything, I believe it is that the GT3 will be reincarnated as the GT3 (or some other similar moniker) for quite some time to fill the enthusiast driver market segment that worries less about shaving seconds off lap times and more about feel and involvement.

Thanks Whoopsy for your insights and info!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

^^ Right, the GT4 also has room for an R. With GT3 motor.
I can see stripped out R models in the future without RWS even.

R basic basic light. In 911 and Cayman.
GT3 fun but slower and cheaper. In 911 and Cayman.
RS lowest laptime. 911 960.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

The turbo race cars' advantage is not the HP. it's the torque output, especially low down. it's the first 50-100m after corner exits that make the big difference. If one car can gain an advantage there, the rest of the pack will playing catchup for the whole straight.

That's Porsche's current racing philosophy, which they applied to the 919 race car and the 918 hybrid. One reason why the 918 is suppose to be slower on paper but it isn't. It gets up to speed quicker and while it might achieve a lower ultimate top speed on straight, it just covers the area under the curve quicker.

N/A engine is already hitting a brick wall if you haven't noticed, 120-130HP per litre is basically the current wall. To add more power to an NA engine, one has to either have a bigger displacement or spin it faster. Neither of which are attractive. Spinning something faster means more exotic materials and that drives up cost, while bigger displacement means worse fuel economy and higher insurance costs. For street cars, a turbo engine is attractive as it is cheap and easy to add power, basically just turn up the boost. The engine won't be spinning as fast hence cheaper, while it does need stronger material but those aren't expensive. Smaller displacement means during off boost government test cycles they will have a great showing, and the lower displacement also move the cars to a lower insurance bracket for certain countries.

For the same reasons above - torque off corner exit - a 4.2L WOULD make sense if the factory thought that displacement were feasible. Alas, they don't.

They don't have to do both engine and body change over at the same time.

If the NA engine remains competitive, yes, they could keep it around for one more season before the change over. But if it's not, they could change over the engine first and then let the body catch up. It would mean they can gain an extra year of development for the 992 race car engines.
Right if they stagger they would do bodywork first; key for marketing.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:00 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ Right, the GT4 also has room for an R. With GT3 motor.
I can see stripped out R models in the future without RWS even.

R basic basic light. In 911 and Cayman.
GT3 fun but slower and cheaper. In 911 and Cayman.
RS lowest laptime. 911 960.
I kind of had the feeling this is where things might be headed also, but perhaps with the exception that any future 'R's wouldn't be LE, but just low production volume (ie probably not called an R).

Low production volume allows them to skirt emissions issues, and positioning them as "drivers" cars which would win ECOTY awards every year helps to position the Porsche brand.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS, GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, Mission E - Update