Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 10:33 AM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 163 Posts

posting to encourage those with low ceilings. Mine is 114". Each of my cars is 51" tall, and the tracks eat 5" of vertical. That leaves 7" to split between clearance above the lower car, and space above the upper car for lifting off the locks. It's enough, but I'll never be able to fit an old muscle car into this plan. I also use this Bendpak HD9 lift a lot for wrenching, and agree with others that jacking off the moveable cross bar to do wheel-off projects is no problem at all.

The following users liked this post:
Kama_Supra (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 12:49 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Beezupra
posting to encourage those with low ceilings. Mine is 114". Each of my cars is 51" tall, and the tracks eat 5" of vertical. That leaves 7" to split between clearance above the lower car, and space above the upper car for lifting off the locks. It's enough, but I'll never be able to fit an old muscle car into this plan. I also use this Bendpak HD9 lift a lot for wrenching, and agree with others that jacking off the moveable cross bar to do wheel-off projects is no problem at all.
Thanks for posting. I am building a new two car detached garage and the maximum allowed finished ceiling height is 114”. The restriction is due to local zoning daylight plane and the location of the garage which is 4ft off the property line. Unfortunate bureaucracy of living in SF Bay Area.

I had almost crossed of the bend pack due to concern of being able to disengage the locks on 2x 51” tall cars. I am so glad you posted as you have the exact same setup. With your 114” finished floor to finished ceiling how much clearance to the ceiling do you have with the locks disengaged? Also which model of lift?

Last of all what type of garage door solution did you use in front of the lift?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2021, 06:15 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
I had almost crossed of the bend pack due to concern of being able to disengage the locks on 2x 51” tall cars. I am so glad you posted as you have the exact same setup. With your 114” finished floor to finished ceiling how much clearance to the ceiling do you have with the locks disengaged? Also which model of lift?
Last of all what type of garage door solution did you use in front of the lift?
Glad the info is of help. My lift is Bendpak HD9 Revision M (no other letters after the HD9 part). My door company did a great job of changing the upper rails to hug the ceiling, and installed a Liftmaster 8500. When the lift is sitting on the locks at the right notch for both cars to be parked, there is 3" clearance above the lower car, and 4" clearance above the upper car. You have to move the lift up at least 1 1/2", but better 2 to 2 1/2", to be sure it has cleared all the retracted locks. So if I lift 2" to clear locks, the upper car has 2" of clearance left to the ceiling. In my case, if I were to accidentally go up a full 4", the next-higher set of lock-notches could engage and trap the car against the ceiling. This got much easier once I thought of making marks on a post I watch during operation, see pic below. (I added text to the indicator arrows in case I keel and someone else has to deal with the cars)

Last edited by Beezupra; 03-27-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:38 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 258 Posts

I would so scared that while I’m raising the car it would hit the ceiling..
Old 03-29-2021, 02:07 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

Aanyone using the challenger lifts, specifically the CL4P?

Thanks

Viv
Old 03-29-2021, 04:23 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar

Thanks

Viv
I have the 9000lb-rated Challenger four-post (CL4P9S). Been very happy with it. I went with Challenger for a few reasons: 1) Made in U.S. out of high-quality domestic materials, 2) ALI (Automotive Lift Institute)-certified, 3) doesn't require a separate air tank for the locking mechanism like other brands do. The only downside has been with the optional rolling bridge jacks that allow you to lift the car off the ramps to work on wheels/tires/brakes--the lifting arms of the bridge jacks don't spread wide enough to reach the jacking points of modern unibody cars. But this is solved with extension pieces that I sourced from a company called SVI International.

If you're interested and have the time, I posted a walk-through video of the lift, and a followup describing the extension pieces for the bridge jacks:

Old 03-29-2021, 11:42 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

excellent information!

many thx!

viv
paradocs98 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:27 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar

Thanks

Viv
I have 2 of them and they work great and don't need an air compressor to use them. Would buy them again.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:48 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I also have two Challenger CL4P9S. I've had them for about 4 years and haven't had any issues once I got them bolted down. Before they were bolted down, they did walk around the garage a bit and I wasn't thrilled They seem well made but I haven't experience with any other brand to really compare. Sometimes holding the lever while I lower the lift is a bit tedious but that is a small gripe. I'd probably gripe even more if I had to hook up an air canister or compressor to release the locks.

The ramps are pretty heavy. Not a real issue but nothing lightweight about the lightweight aluminum ones, LOL.
paradocs98 (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:12 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
I have 2 of them and they work great and don't need an air compressor to use them. Would buy them again.
Originally Posted by Semitone
I also have two Challenger CL4P9S. I've had them for about 4 years and haven't had any issues once I got them bolted down. Before they were bolted down, they did walk around the garage a bit and I wasn't thrilled They seem well made but I haven't experience with any other brand to really compare. Sometimes holding the lever while I lower the lift is a bit tedious but that is a small gripe. I'd probably gripe even more if I had to hook up an air canister or compressor to release the locks.

The ramps are pretty heavy. Not a real issue but nothing lightweight about the lightweight aluminum ones, LOL.
Thank you. I'll be bolting mine to floor.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:00 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone

Check out race ramps. They make some made for lifts. I got some of those for one of my lifts and love them. Can literally hold them up with 1 finger under the lip that attaches to the lift.
Semitone (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 12:30 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
I have two Revolution RFP9N000 by Rotary 4-post lifts.

They have 120 VAC hydraulic pumps to lift and need no shop air to release the locks. Just hold the interlock release lever while using the hydraulic release valve to lower in a nice, controlled fashion.

I looked at BendPak (nice lifts) but didn't have plumbed-in shop air.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=30912
i have the same lift un-bolted and it has never moved a bit i did'nt want all the trouble with air systems either. not to get into a pissing contest the revolution lift is a superior lift.
How many bendpak lifts do you see the pros use?
Old 04-02-2021, 01:02 PM
buddalun
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 56 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the auto stacker which I believe is made by BendPak? I’m only interested in extra parking space so this seems like a decent option.

https://www.autostacker.com
Old 04-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buddalun
Does anyone have experience with the auto stacker which I believe is made by BendPak? I’m only interested in extra parking space so this seems like a decent option.

https://www.autostacker.com
I know a guy hold on i'll get his review, here ya go I've seen it, nice, he was a new camaro on top and a jag SUV underneath .. i cant fit my macan under my 4 post

I do have the auto stacker. I find it to be a great and versatile lift. that takes up less space than a four post style. When extended it doesn't block the area like the 4 poster and when on the ground is less obtrusive. Holds most suvs and midsized vehicles. Mechanism is compact and allows for easy egress from the lower vehicle. It also allows for variable high vehicles as it has numerous stops to accommodate for height differences. More expensive than a four poster but well worth the money.

Last edited by Sweeper; 04-03-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:34 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Where to buy

Pretty much all of them listed and reviewed here. I bought three from this company and they have been good to work with. That was pre-covid of course.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com
Sweeper (04-02-2021)

Quick Reply: garage car lifts