garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 11:37 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
What panel are you referring to?
I believe he means the 888LM control panel. I also had one fail at one point and replaced it myself.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:51 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
I believe he means the 888LM control panel. I also had one fail at one point and replaced it myself.
Is it those units in particular that are prone to fail or any of the Liftmaster units? I have different panels.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:59 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bonehead
Is it those units in particular that are prone to fail or any of the Liftmaster units? I have different panels.
I don't really know. I had my 8500's installed in 2014. In 2018 one control panels failed. I have had no issues since then. These are the only panel model I have had.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:31 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 244 Posts

Wow that’s tight!!! You must almost touch the ceiling when your raising the lift before you let it back down to let it lock.
Originally Posted by anselmw
Here is a shot of my garage, ceiling height is just under 10ft. I can't fit my e90 M3 underneath, it just misses by an inch or less, it fits if I lift the car slightly above the locks but not if it is on the locks.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:52 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by anselmw
I do oil changes, brakes, exhaust, suspension but I do have the sliding trolley jack. for my 4 post lift.
Thanks for both of your recommendations for the sliding trolley jack. Looking at the photos, the width of the jacks appear static, and you can slide them from front to back. Are the width of these adjustable so that you can use the jackpoints, or do you jack on the undercarriage of the car? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:58 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah it's the 888LM (which comes stock with the 8500), literally this one on Amazon:
Liftmaster 888LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Wall Control Upgrades Previous Models 1998 (and later), Black - Garage Door Openers - Amazon.com Liftmaster 888LM Security+ 2.0 MyQ Wall Control Upgrades Previous Models 1998 (and later), Black - Garage Door Openers - Amazon.com

If it fails none of the remotes will open or close the door, nor will the wall panel button. You'll think your system is totally hosed. Door can randomly open when it's in that state (we watched it do it on our security cam). Original installer came out and was like yeah, they can do this, and replaced it temporarily with a single button dumb panel while he ordered the replacement. Takes two mins to replace, and I ordered another one so if it happened again I was covered. Ours was only five years old when it happened. Dunno if they have a random fail rate or what, but installer was not surprised at all.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:31 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 748 Posts

I put in a high rail kit and 8500 on one of my doors. It used to randomly open when I had it hooked up to wifi. I presume randomly. Since disconnecting it I haven't had issues. Then last year it kept loosing its bottom limit settings and wouldn't close all the way. It meant having to retrain it every time which got old. They replaced the whole control unit, works fine for now but hasn't gotten much use through the winter. It's only been 2 years. Have read many complaints online. Not sure why so hard to build a good quality opener.

Anybody know of commercial solutions that can work in residential applications? Not to replace mine but for future installs.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:01 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Wow that’s tight!!! You must almost touch the ceiling when your raising the lift before you let it back down to let it lock.
definitely tight just enough space to get it off the locks without touching. If you get up and look sideways it is about 2 inches or less clearance!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:03 AM
anselmw
Racer

Originally Posted by WP0
Thanks for both of your recommendations for the sliding trolley jack. Looking at the photos, the width of the jacks appear static, and you can slide them from front to back. Are the width of these adjustable so that you can use the jackpoints, or do you jack on the undercarriage of the car? Thanks.
I only have one trolley jacket. Haven’t needed two as I do 4 wheel stuff in the ground. For the width you pull out the arms. If they are not long enough then there are attachments to make it extend longer. Not ideal but it works. Assume this depends on trolley jack arm size. I have to use extenders for the one I have with most cars.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:52 AM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

Direct Lift makes a trolley jack that extends out more than enough to reach the jack points on my 997s and 991s.

Jack arm at full extension
Old 03-02-2021, 10:54 AM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ryantt
Direct Lift makes a trolley jack that extends out more than enough to reach the jack points on my 997s and 991s.

That looks like it would work great! Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-02-2021, 12:37 PM
anselmw
Racer

That is great, it was one of the few things I was not aware of when I got my trolley jack. I think issue is my lift center point is not that big so I assume the trolley width doesnt allow for longer arms to extend.

Other item to be aware of is, do you want a manual jack or air. I tried manual then switched to air powered as there is not that much room under there to crank the jack.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:03 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking into this for a HD-9. I sent an email to a distributor to see if they have any experience with compatibility.

Does the jack slide forward and backwards fairly easily? It is hard to tell from the images. I know the Benpak jack has wheels that engage some inner rails. But the Bendpak is overkill for my use case.

Does the Pro Jack sit on these feet?

Or does it sit on this metal arm?

Old 03-05-2021, 04:55 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

The direct lift sits on the top part of “L” bracket — it has a thin piece of hard slippery material on the underside that allows the jack to slide along the ramps (you can see it both in my picture and the marketing picture taken off their website). The arms that the L bracket attaches to are adjustable to fit various width lifts. You tighten the silver hex head bolt above the hydraulic line of the hand pump when you have the sliding arms adjusted between your lift ramps.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:09 AM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

Bend Pak makes an RJ45 series (think they make a low profile and normal version) bridge jack. I have two of them on my HD9 and it's an amazing setup. You can get under the car for all types of service work, and then you can put the car up with its wheels raised off of the lift for suspension access, and you can raise the entire setup by raising and lowering the entire 4 post.

Quick Reply: garage car lifts