Sponsored by:

garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 06:19 PM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 5teve
I use the standard steel ramps that came with the HD9. I back onto the lift and with the front axle lift don't have any problems. I have even forgot to raise the front axle when removing the car, and it didn't scrape either (although got really close).
Awesome, thanks! I have an HD7 on order.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:19 PM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

I use the standard steel ramps that came with the HD9. I back onto the lift and with the front axle lift don't have any problems. I have even forgot to raise the front axle when removing the car, and it didn't scrape either (although got really close).
Originally Posted by AlexOz
I have this lift and bought the optional long aluminum ramps with it. They are lighter and longer than the standard ramps and make life a lot easier. When the lift is in the up position, I flip the ramps up and rest them on the car with plenty of padding. When the ramps are flipped down they are weapons of mass destruction for anyone who walks into them -- ask me how I know. My main garage is 28x50 feet and so there's plenty of room to flip the ramps up and down with the doors closed. If your garage is tighter, e.g. like the photo from @5Steve above, it would be a royal pain to remove the ramps every time you want to use them. They're lighter than the standard ramps, but still heavy. HTH!
Thanks! Super helpful. What did you guys go with for air compressor?
Old 10-12-2021, 06:27 PM
5teve
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JCN83
Thanks! Super helpful. What did you guys go with for air compressor?
Any small air compressor will work. I already had a 4 gallon compressor similar to this one that I've had for years. That size compressor works well enough for air powered tools, HVLP spray guns, woodworking, etc. Using an air powered die grinder continuously obviously is not ideal as the compressor needs to cycle often, but works well enough for the limited number of times I need that much continuous air flow.

Last edited by 5teve; 10-12-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:32 PM
JCN83
Rennlist Member

Any small air compressor will work. I already had a 4 gallon compressor similar to this one that I've had for years. That size compressor works well enough for air powered tools, HVLP spray guns, woodworking, etc. Using an air powered die grinder continuously obviously is not ideal as the compressor needs to cycle often, but works well enough for the limited number of times I need that much continuous air flow.
Awesome. Really appreciate the info. I definitely won't need continuous air so something small sounds great.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:14 PM
AlexOz
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a big commercial compressor for air tools and it's way more than needed to activate the BendPak locks. A small pancake compressor would work just fine.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:27 AM
kaylie
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Iridium
One thing which may not be obvious depending on which unit you are looking at and from what retailer: at least with Bendpak you can order 110V or 220V setups. When I was ordering mine everything shown was 220V and I was about to go through the pain of getting an electrician in to add 220V where it was going to go, and then the dude I was ordering it from asked "you want the 110 or the 220 version of the motor?" and obviously I went with the 110. It moves slightly more slowly than the 220, but I don't care (it's not slow). Plugs into a normal outlet and made things significantly easier for my install.

I suspect it's the same with the other lift manufacturers. Would have sucked to have found that out after the fact ;-).
interesting. I’m looking at hd9 standard does that come with 110v I don’t see the manual or specs noting that.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:47 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,745 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by kaylie
interesting. I’m looking at hd9 standard does that come with 110v I don’t see the manual or specs noting that.
The motor on the HD9 series already draws a lot of current at 220v, at 110v you would require even more, pretty much double, probably why 110v is not an option.

For a 208 to 230 VAC, single phase circuit, use a 25 amp fuse.
I would suggest looking at one of the other lifts, many of them have 110v motors.

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-06-2022 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:01 AM
TheDangerZone
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a long garage but a ceiling height that is suboptimal. Something like 9 feet.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to fit a lift at the far end of the garage and lift the car just high enough to park a second car underneath from just the hood onward? There’s not enough garage height for them to completely fit underneath each other roof to roof but if both cars are 911s I believe this could work. Trying to see if this would be an option for me and if there are any flaws in this plan.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:33 AM
thunderdent
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDangerZone
I have a long garage but a ceiling height that is suboptimal. Something like 9 feet.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to fit a lift at the far end of the garage and lift the car just high enough to park a second car underneath from just the hood onward? There’s not enough garage height for them to completely fit underneath each other roof to roof but if both cars are 911s I believe this could work. Trying to see if this would be an option for me and if there are any flaws in this plan.
I’d imagine that would work if you have the length.

——-
New garages I’m doing I ran 220 to a few areas for future plug in electric or PHEV, and out on where the lift and air compressor were going just in case.

My Dad has a BP and compressor that both run on 110 though. It’s not that slow.

The following users liked this post:
TheDangerZone (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 10:12 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 775 Posts

I have a HD9 110v for 4 years. Works great, always have a car on it. It's technically slower than a 220, that was the decision point when I bought. I didn't want to put in a new electrical line, just because I didn't want to over invest in infrastructure in current house.

I wouldn't call it slow. One wouldn't even question it if you didn't know it was the slower of the two.

Get 220 if you have it or want to run a line. If not, 110 is no issue.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:47 PM
5teve
Instructor

Originally Posted by kaylie
Yes, the HD9 and all the HD9X series in fact have the option of either 220v or 110v. I just checked and it isn't super clear from their website, but you can see a reference in the installation manual for wiring that lists both options. https://www.bendpak.com/HD-9-Four-Po...23-BendPak.pdf

I have the HD9ST with the 110v option, and the speed is totally fine for occasional lifting of the car, which is likely the most used case in residential garages. I hear that 220v offers about twice the speed for lifting, but definitely not really necessary unless you are raising and lowering cars many times a day (like a commercial shop).

Old 02-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, the HD9 and all the HD9X series in fact have the option of either 220v or 110v. I just checked and it isn't super clear from their website, but you can see a reference in the installation manual for wiring that lists both options. https://www.bendpak.com/HD-9-Four-Po...23-BendPak.pdf

I have the HD9ST with the 110v option, and the speed is totally fine for occasional lifting of the car, which is likely the most used case in residential garages. I hear that 220v offers about twice the speed for lifting, but definitely not really necessary unless you are raising and lowering cars many times a day (like a commercial shop).
Great info, I see on Page 74 the the input to the motor can be rewired for 110v, curious what the current requirements would be for that arrangement. Did your's come from Bendpak wired for 110v, if yes there should be some reference to the current draw on the motor?
Old 02-06-2022, 01:11 PM
5teve
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Great info, I see on Page 74 the the input to the motor can be rewired for 110v, curious what the current requirements would be for that arrangement. Did your's come from Bendpak wired for 110v, if yes there should be some reference to the current draw on the motor?
If you order from Bendpak they'll ask which configuration you want for the motor. Mine came wired for 110v with the plug already installed. No need to do any wiring on my end. I thought that the motor was actually different for 110v or 220v, but just took a picture of my motor and it does list both specs on it. I see it does list 15.5A for 110v, but I just have it plugged into a regular 15 amp outlet and never had it trip the breaker.

Old 02-06-2022, 01:25 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If you order from Bendpak they'll ask which configuration you want for the motor. Mine came wired for 110v with the plug already installed. No need to do any wiring on my end. I thought that the motor was actually different for 110v or 220v, but just took a picture of my motor and it does list both specs on it. I see it does list 15.5A for 110v, but I just have it plugged into a regular 15 amp outlet and never had it trip the breaker.

Thanks for uploading the picture, worth a thousand words! I see motor 5585014 listed in the manual and it's wiring for 110v.

The FLA (full load amps) of 15.5A is at the limit of a regular circuit and as long as there isn't much else working at the same time you operate the lift you are fine especially as the load is only during the actual operation of the lift.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:09 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,183 Likes on 775 Posts

If helpful…..

Option selected when ordering
The following users liked this post:
Westcoast (02-06-2022)

Quick Reply: garage car lifts