Sponsored by:

garage car lifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 08:36 AM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
also looking at Advantage Lifts. what has been your impression thus far and how did the install go? i was initially considering their double wide lift, but i think i'm now leaning towards two singles side by side. just curious of your thoughts on the Advantage Lifts - quality and components on them seems very good.
thanks!

left the image to get satco's attention - sorry for that.
rsabeebe,
Did you ever go with the Advantage. I ordered mine just about the time you posted this to get satco’s attention. My installation is scheduled for next Wednesday (Mar 10). If you didn’t order one, just be aware of the long lead time. I should’ve ordered two. This lift will be used for my 1967 GTO and 1970 Trans Am. I wanted to see how much I liked it before ordering another one for the Cayman and the GT3. I’d really like to have a single-column lift for the two Porsches, but I’m not sure my concrete floor has the necessary thickness. I do have a 2-post Mohawk service lift in one bay, but would want someone to tell me a single-column would be sound before ordering one, otherwise, I’ll just get another Advantage lift.

@satco - I’m going to ask the installation guys this same question, but any idea how difficult would it be to roll the lift out of the garage (if yours has casters) and move it into another? While my 3-bay shop and 2-car garage are attached, there is a wall between them so if I was going to try the lift in both places, it would have to come out of one onto the driveway and then wheeled over to the garage.

I will definitely post some pics of the install next week.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:33 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOutside
rsabeebe,
Did you ever go with the Advantage. I ordered mine just about the time you posted this to get satco’s attention. My installation is scheduled for next Wednesday (Mar 10). If you didn’t order one, just be aware of the long lead time. I should’ve ordered two. This lift will be used for my 1967 GTO and 1970 Trans Am. I wanted to see how much I liked it before ordering another one for the Cayman and the GT3.
i have not. i went through a rather extensive remodel of my garage - down to the studs, raised the ceiling to 12', enlarged the door opening, custom 20' wide door, etc. and the project turned into quite the ordeal with covid and the contractor. by the time they finally wrapped everything up, we were in december. the project started in early august. they estimated finishing in 3 weeks to start. long story short, i was exhausted with the project and decided to wait until spring to bring in the lifts. i have local company i hope to use, as i still need to refinish the floor and they can do it all. the plan now if for two 4-post Atlas lifts.

crazy that you have a '67 GTO. i've had 2 and sold my most recent one about 2 years ago. triple black, 4 speed car.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:05 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Ok cool. Funny, I put in my Mohawk 2-post when I bought the house back in 2016, but waited until I finished my floors (and insulation) before settling on a storage lift. I also had fewer cars. LOL.

Your ‘67 sounds like it was a beauty. Mine is a 400 HO car, 4-spd. Red on red.

The following users liked this post:
Rick GT3 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 03:44 AM
anselmw
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

@satco - I’m going to ask the installation guys this same question, but any idea how difficult would it be to roll the lift out of the garage (if yours has casters) and move it into another? While my 3-bay shop and 2-car garage are attached, there is a wall between them so if I was going to try the lift in both places, it would have to come out of one onto the driveway and then wheeled over to the garage.

I will definitely post some pics of the install next week.
I didn't get the castors for mine but I rebuilt it when I moved and moved the pieces around with a floor jack and moving dolly's. With the castors it should moved fairly easily unless you have a very high lip at the threshold into your garage
Old 03-08-2021, 10:55 AM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Ok cool. Funny, I put in my Mohawk 2-post when I bought the house back in 2016, but waited until I finished my floors (and insulation) before settling on a storage lift. I also had fewer cars. LOL.

Your ‘67 sounds like it was a beauty. Mine is a 400 HO car, 4-spd. Red on red.

very NICE '67 GTO, that's a real early Muscle car!!!
Old 03-10-2021, 07:41 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

So I got my Advantage 9K lift installed today. It only took the two guys about 2.5 hours. Really happy with the install and it fits the space perfectly. I am using this one for my other “P” cars, but am probably going to get another one for the GT3 and GTS.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrOutside:
Bossing (03-11-2021), Rick GT3 (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 07:44 PM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

That looks great Mr. Outside. How tall is your ceiling?
Old 03-10-2021, 07:48 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9INE97
That looks great Mr. Outside. How tall is your ceiling?
Thanks. Ceiling is a little under 12 foot. I think 11’ 10” to be exact.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:11 PM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks. Ceiling is a little under 12 foot. I think 11’ 10” to be exact.
Good to know, thx.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:01 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

So I got my Advantage 9K lift installed today. It only took the two guys about 2.5 hours.

awesome pair of pontiacs! always loved the gen2 T/As.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:03 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

my triple black '67 4 spd.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:23 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

OK OK. I will play. One more post off topic....Black on Parchment. 400 HO 4 spd.

The above has actually been really helpful. My ceilings are about 10' 8". Hoping to get a lift in the garage primarily for service (so thinking two post), but if I go four post I can park one of the other P cars under it. Not sure what direction to go in.

inverterman (03-26-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 05:07 PM
amsmike
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

This thread is not helping, i have been looking for lifts for the last few months as well as a 389 GTO tri-power, I already did a garage door high lift with wall mounted jackshaft opener....now to find that perfect GTO!
Old 03-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd advise against Advantage or Backyard Buddy (owned by Advantage). Mine arrived in Dec and still leaks fluid every time I use it. They have sent techs out, shipped replacement parts, and now are telling me that they will ship me a new cylinder and it's my problem to hire a tech or do it myself. At one point they offer me a free LED kit for my trouble; why in the world would I want an LED kit on a lift that leaks fluid on the car under it?

Absolutely terrible product and customer service imo.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:09 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
OK OK. I will play. One more post off topic....Black on Parchment. 400 HO 4 spd.

The above has actually been really helpful. My ceilings are about 10' 8". Hoping to get a lift in the garage primarily for service (so thinking two post), but if I go four post I can park one of the other P cars under it. Not sure what direction to go in.

I have a 2 post and two 4 post at home. If I only had one lift it would absolutely be the 4 post with a integrated rolling jack to lift the car when needed. That is the most useful of the 3 I have, The 2 post could theoretically be used to stack cars but no drip pans. There is very little I cant do on the 4 post using the jack to get the wheels off the ramp and I can also use it to stack cars. MY Bendpak HD9 series has a wide setting for the ramps. The tires are near the inner edge so the entire undercarriage is accessible. Plus it is so much easier to just drive up on the 4 post. Lifting the cars on the 2 post is always a little bit of a process.
If you think you need the 2 post I would be curious what specific maintenance you are planning that would require it? I use my 2 post for full builds where I am removing the entire suspension and just supporting the body. Everything else I accomplish easily on the 4 post with jack.
Beezupra (03-27-2021)

Quick Reply: garage car lifts