Sponsored by:

GT3.2 to have a 6spd? and a 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:54 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
Didn't AP say in an interview that the crank in the RS was a high 4 digit item? Are they going to put this in the GT3? Also, I'd think that if they really wanted to drop the 3.8 engine they wouldn't have built any 2016's. Is the 4.0 engine really a better design or does it just have updates (oiling, coatings) similar to the G model 3.8 engines.

I haven't seen anyone confirm the maximum engine speed in the R. I'd be very surprised if the car with a manual gearbox has a staged rev limit and even more surprised if it revs higher than the RS in the higher gears. I think they made it a consistent 8600 across all gears.

Some people with December RS builds will just be getting their cars when the new 4.0 GT3 is coming out? I don't think I've ever seen Porsche do something like that. Of coarse these are all my biased thoughts and opinions.
The stop sale of GT3s back in 2014 really threw a wrench in their plans. The 991 model could be the longest running in terms of years.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
From what i have read, its the same 7 speed box with one cog removed.

Im fine with either one the 6 speed or 7 speeds (with closer ratios from 1-6 ans 7 overdrive)
If you have a link, I'd be interested to read it.

And a cruising 7th gear has no place in a GT car, imo. A 7M should have same ratios as PDK-S.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:57 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again just some comments because I can't sit back and listen without firing off some responses regardless of which engine you discover in .2 GT3

As far as those that think that Porsche needs to "move on" from 3.8l because of the issues that have come up, this is far from true. Porsche does not need to give up on the 3.8L at all. In fact they could (and already have) make some further enhancements to improve reliability as many manufacturers do during a engine production cycle. They have learned a lot during development of 9A1 for racing teams over course of 16 months and much of the 4.0L discoveries can be passed down to 3.8L. 3.8L is still a less expensive engine to produce and they need to keep the price point in line with a marketing target Msrp that the bean counter analysts believe it needs to come to market at.

Many also mention it would be a no brainer just to switch to 4.0l engine but remember that it comes at a increase in manufactureing cost (namely the crank). On the plus side it's very likely they have figured out this far along how to reduce the cost to produce the 4.0l engine through several different means (not uncommon at this point in production) but it's unlikely that the unobtanium crank has gotten that much less expensive in manufacturing terms and it's a major reason the RS engine is not produced at same cost as 3.8L in GT3.

Last edited by sccchiii; 07-19-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:57 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
If you have a link, I'd be interested to read it.

And a cruising 7th gear has no place in a GT car, imo. A 7M should have same ratios as PDK-S.
How many GT3 engage 7th on a race track?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Really? You are saying that it is basically same as the 7spd in the Carrera which uses the PDK case? I don't think so or where would the weight savings come from? And if true, it would be a bad idea to get rid of the 7th gear (you could make much better performance with 7 close ratios). And how does it shift so much better than the Carrera gearbox if it's basically the same (with the crazy mechanical mapping translator that is necessary with the PDK box to make the shift pattern in the correct order). I really think it is a totally different gearbox, but if you have more info please let me know.
This has been discussed ad nauseam. It's not the same. The tranny casing is the same so it can bolt up to the 4.0 bell housing...
Old 07-19-2016, 03:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
How many GT3 engage 7th on a race track?
Nordschleife and autobahn. 7th gear in Carrera is not needed for either as top speed comes in 6th and 7th only exists to lower noise and fuel consumption (not priorities for me in a track car).
Old 07-19-2016, 03:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
This has been discussed ad nauseam. It's not the same. The tranny casing is the same so it can bolt up to the 4.0 bell housing...
Thanks!
Old 07-19-2016, 03:21 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

get the classic 7speed MT
ditch the 7th gear adjust ratio and plug a
lightweight flywheel (as optional)
and you get the R gearbox

weight saving was the reason
to ditch the 7th gear not ratios which
can be modified

neither their marketing went so far as somebody here
Old 07-19-2016, 03:26 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sccchiii
...it's unlikely that the unobtanium crank has gotten that much less expensive in manufacturing terms and it's a major reason the RS engine is not produced at same cost as 3.8L in GT3.
Some interesting points in your well-reasoned post. I just thought I'd throw out some possibilities at how they could provide the 4.0 in the GT3 without killing their margins:

1. Maybe there are some economies of scale by producing thousands of these cranks at one time.

2. Maybe the crank for the GT3 could be made from a less expensive material than the RS. Adding a small amount of stroke to the 3.8 crank doesn't "need" this material, I wouldn't think (though I'm sure it's better in some ways).

The rumor I've heard is that the 4.0 in the GT3 is even further developed in reliability from both the 991.1 RS and the GT3R race car (where the lessons were learned). If true, it should be really fantastic and its oiling beyond reproach.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
get the classic 7speed MT ditch the 7th gear adjust ratio and plug a lightweight flywheel (as optional) and you get the R gearbox weight saving was the reason to ditch the 7th gear not ratios which can be modified
So you're saying that Porsche interchanges internal parts between gearboxes?! Wow,that's a surprise!
How do you define " the same " ? If the ratios are different and it comes with one gear less,how are they the same?! What does Porsche need to change in a manual gearbox so they can be defined as " different " in your opinion?
Old 07-19-2016, 03:34 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Does somebody here really think that Porsche (suppliers)
designed a brand new manual gearbox
for the R ??
Old 07-19-2016, 03:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
Does somebody here really think that Porsche (suppliers)
designed a brand new manual gearbox
for the R ??
Whatever work they did to produce the box in the R, it clearly was intended to also be used on the 991.2 GT3 as well (and likely some other future models not yet known). So, several thousand units instead of 991 units.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:44 PM
fxz
Race Car

Whatever work they did to produce the box in the R, it clearly was intended to also be used on the 991.2 GT3 as well (and likely some other future models not yet known).
Point zero again
the Manual was already tested back in 2012 on the 991.1 GT3 mule
Old 07-19-2016, 04:13 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

GT2 also.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:18 PM
jbt_se
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii

Many mention it would be a no brainier just to switch to 4.0l engine but remember that it comes at a increase in manufactureing cost (namely the crank). On the plus side it's very likely they have figured out this far along how to reduce the cost to produce the 4.0l engine through several different means (not uncommon at this point in production) but it's unlikely that the unobtanium crank has gotten that much less expensive in manufacturing terms and it's a major reason the RS engine is not produced at same cost as 3.8L in GT3.
The GT3 crank actually priced about 10% higher than the RS crank as a spare part...

Quick Reply: GT3.2 to have a 6spd? and a 4.0?