Sponsored by:

GT3.2 to have a 6spd? and a 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:02 AM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

There is no news in this article, just some possible affirmation...
For me the main reason is a hope (only a hope though) that .2 will have more reliable engine. Other reason is I want to spec my car exactly the way I want. I was too late with .1 and had no chance to order it new.

So if .2 will still have PDK as an option, will have a bit better lap times and I'll be able to get an allocation - I'm in.

I don't care if it's NA or FI, I don't care about engine size or redline. If it drives, looks and sounds like GT car - I'm totally in.

As long as there is a hope to better reliability. If this car will just have a G engine with a bit added power - I'm out. I'm pretty sure my car will get G engine after another 3000 track kilometers. Or another 6000, if 3000 will only provide me another new top end. I have no trust in this engine's durability.

I also don't like this GT4'ish nose, but we'll get used to it as we do with most design changes.

Last edited by levd; 07-19-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^macca
Quit fretting about mate, we early .1 adopters endured some pain and suffering
But will prove to become one of the best
GT MSRP buys period . My bet the price
Bump will be a higher ratio than performance bump for .2 ...
As far as some dude getting by me in a
4 nada happening , my sights set RS hunting happily in pursuit
and then sometimes seen shrinking in my mirror

Last edited by R.Deacon; 07-19-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:34 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
^^^macca
Quit fretting about mate, we early .1 adopters endured some pain and suffering
But will prove to become one of the best
GT MSRP buys period . My bet the price
Bump will be a higher ratio than performance bump for .2 ...
As far as some dude getting by me me in
4 nada happening , my sights set RS hunting happily in pursuit
Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
That said if the redline truely is 8800 (I suspect they have just used the 991.1 Gt3RS tacho in the mule) then it could point to a 3.8L unit because they WILL NOT launch a manual 1390kg GT3 next year with 4.0L engine that has a greater rev limit than the 8500 rpm 911R "halo" car or else surely they will be crucified?
I think the redline for the R is 8,600 (per the tach), but the limiter intervenes at 8,800 (at least in lower gears).

This is same for GT4 (tach face shows 7,600 redline, but all literature states max revs at 7,800 and the limiter cuts in there)

I think the GT3 will be the 4.0 with 8,600 showing on tach (photos kinda confirm this - not the RS tach, since it would have PRND PDK shift pattern and the "GT3" logo is centered), but 8,800 allowed at least in low gears (same as R). - Click on photos to expand...
Attached Images     

Last edited by GrantG; 07-19-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:53 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

My two cents. Porsche wants out of the 3.8L from a liability stand point. There is almost no additional cost for them to move to the more robust 4.0L motor. This motor is proving itself as a reliable motor in racing. If the GT3.2 is offered with a manual trans what will the gear ratios be. That is the question. Porsche missed the boat with the GT4 ratios and you can't change them.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:56 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
My two cents. Porsche wants out of the 3.8L from a liability stand point. There is almost no additional cost for them to move to the more robust 4.0L motor. This motor is proving itself as a reliable motor in racing. If the GT3.2 is offered with a manual trans what will the gear ratios be. That is the question. Porsche missed the boat with the GT4 ratios and you can't change them.
I would think the same as the R. Why change it?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I would think the same as the R. Why change it?
Of course they will drop in the identical gearbox (ratios included). In addition to lightweight flywheel, I would love to see a short-track (lower) gearing option as well, but that is unlikely.

The absolute gearing of the 911R is a little shorter than the GT4, but because of the 1,000 rpm higher redline, the speeds in each gear are higher than those in the GT4 (i.e. 2nd gear is around 87 mph instead of 82 mph in the GT4, but mph per 1,000 rpm is a little lower for better thrust in each gear, even if power and torque were the same in both models).
Old 07-19-2016, 01:16 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

maybe to differentiate the 2 products a standard 7 speed manual ?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
maybe to differentiate the 2 products a standard 7 speed manual ?
It would be crazy to develop two manual gearboxes to mate to the same motor in two similar products (911R and GT3). Not very efficient and not something that could be justified by Porsche.

The 7 speed used in the Carrera could not be used, as the gearing would be totally unsuitable for the much higher redline of the GT3.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:32 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by GrantG
It would be crazy to develop two manual gearboxes to mate to the same motor in two similar products (911R and GT3). Not very efficient and not something that could be justified by Porsche.

The 7 speed used in the Carrera could not be used, as the gearing would be totally unsuitable for the much higher redline of the GT3.
sure? the GT3.1 mule was tested back in the 2012 with a 7 speed manual tranny later discarded only bc of lap time performance

i don t see such a difference between GT3 and RS engines is basicaly the same engine also from tq and power curves pov,
which are the tranny design parameters
Old 07-19-2016, 01:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
sure? the GT3.1 mule was tested back in the 2012 with a 7 speed manual tranny later discarded only bc of lap time performance
If they had just thrown in the 7-speed from the Carrera, then of course the laptimes would be awful. It would be geared for 240 mph or something absurd. But hopefully they adjusted the final drive ratio at a minimum to give the manual a fair shot (though the spacing of the gears would still be lousy for the GT3).

And using the 7spd which is based on the PDK case means they wouldn't get the 66 pound weight loss by using the 6 spd in the 911R.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM
fxz
Race Car

If they had just thrown in the 7-speed from the Carrera, then of course the laptimes would be awful. It would be geared for 240 mph or something absurd. But hopefully they adjusted the final drive ratio at a minimum to give the manual a fair shot (though the spacing of the gears would still be lousy for the GT3).

And using the 7spd which is based on the PDK case means they wouldn't get the 66 pound weight loss by using the 6 spd in the 911R.
no arguments using the R with also its light flywheel
would be great

btw the R is just the classic 7speed MT ditched 7th speed and of course ratios no such "exoteric" thing
Old 07-19-2016, 02:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
btw the R is just the classic 7speed MT ditched 7th speed and of course ratios no such "exoteric" thing
Really? You are saying that it is basically same as the 7spd in the Carrera which uses the PDK case?

I don't think so or where would the weight savings come from?

And if true, it would be a bad idea to get rid of the 7th gear (you could make much better performance with 7 close ratios). And how does it shift so much better than the Carrera gearbox if it's basically the same (with the crazy mechanical mapping translator that is necessary with the PDK box to make the shift pattern in the correct order).

I really think it is a totally different gearbox, but if you have more info please let me know.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Didn't AP say in an interview that the crank in the RS was a high 4 digit item? Are they going to put this in the GT3? Also, I'd think that if they really wanted to drop the 3.8 engine they wouldn't have built any 2016's. Is the 4.0 engine really a better design or does it just have updates (oiling, coatings) similar to the G model 3.8 engines.

I haven't seen anyone confirm the maximum engine speed in the R. I'd be very surprised if the car with a manual gearbox has a staged rev limit and even more surprised if it revs higher than the RS in the higher gears. I think they made it a consistent 8600 across all gears.

Some people with December RS builds will just be getting their cars when the new 4.0 GT3 is coming out? I don't think I've ever seen Porsche do something like that. Of coarse these are all my biased thoughts and opinions.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Really? You are saying that it is basically same as the 7spd in the Carrera which uses the PDK case?

I don't think so or where would the weight savings come from?

And if true, it would be a bad idea to get rid of the 7th gear (you could make much better performance with 7 close ratios). And how does it shift so much better than the Carrera gearbox if it's basically the same (with the crazy mechanical mapping translator that is necessary with the PDK box to make the shift pattern in the correct order).

I really think it is a totally different gearbox, but if you have more info please let me know.
From what i have read, its the same 7 speed box with one cog removed.

Im fine with either one the 6 speed or 7 speeds (with closer ratios from 1-6 ans 7 overdrive)

Quick Reply: GT3.2 to have a 6spd? and a 4.0?