Sponsored by:

991 GT2RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017 | 11:24 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
The guy's clueless and the GT2RS is way above his pay grade, he lusts after cat D 996s FFS
Old 11-05-2017 | 12:55 PM
mariusl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TB993tt
The guy's clueless and the GT2RS is way above his pay grade, he lusts after cat D 996s FFS
Thank god I already have two cat D 996s - so I may enjoy the GT2RS!
Old 11-05-2017 | 12:58 PM
disden
Drifting

hard to form an opinion about a car without driving it, wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-05-2017 | 01:28 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Originally Posted by mariusl
Thank god I already have two cat D 996s - so I may enjoy the GT2RS!
I had a 996 GT2, and 3RS, but missed out on the Cat D, was it Ltd Build...... PTS Etc......
Old 11-05-2017 | 01:56 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

I agree. I need 700hp on the road like I need forks stuck into my eyeballs. Plus it's PDK only, looks rice in any color other than black, and it sounds much worse than a 2.7 NA base Boxster. Could think of hundred better ways to spend 1/2 $million.
Old 11-05-2017 | 05:46 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by signes
^ That’s hilarious (and so true)
Originally Posted by disden
hard to form an opinion about a car without driving it, wouldn't you agree?
Originally Posted by hf1
I agree. I need 700hp on the road like I need forks stuck into my eyeballs. Plus it's PDK only, looks rice in any color other than black, and it sounds much worse than a 2.7 NA base Boxster. Could think of hundred better ways to spend 1/2 $million.
Watch December Top Gear for related piece.

Last edited by Nizer; 11-06-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2017 | 05:57 PM
thegoat
Instructor

The article is right that the GT2RS is overkill for the road. But so is the 3RS and pretty much any 911. I'm sorry he doesn't like the 911 for the track - it is actually fabulous there. The GT cars are so popular and in such demand because they are that amazingly good on the track. Lap after lap you can get consistent, dominating performance and, if you wish, can drive the car to and from the track in comfort. (Although now you'll have to stop and add water for the GT2RS on the track - such a bummer.)

I wasn't a fan of the 911R concept. I didn't try to get one (couldn't have even if I tried) and didn't see the big deal of it. If I wanted a fabulous road car, I'll go drive my 914/6. You don't need 20/21" wheels with 500hp to feel exhilarated driving. In fact, the limits on all of these cars are so high that you can't even get close to them on the road without risking jail time. Because of that, they are actually less fun to drive up a mountain road than something from 25+ years ago with analog parts (provided it's all running fine).

I guess what I'm saying is that it is silly to criticize any modern sports car for being best and with most purpose on the track. Only vintage cars are cars for enjoyable road driving, at least imo.
Old 11-05-2017 | 07:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by thegoat
The article is right that the GT2RS is overkill for the road. But so is the 3RS and pretty much any 911. I'm sorry he doesn't like the 911 for the track - it is actually fabulous there. The GT cars are so popular and in such demand because they are that amazingly good on the track. Lap after lap you can get consistent, dominating performance and, if you wish, can drive the car to and from the track in comfort. (Although now you'll have to stop and add water for the GT2RS on the track - such a bummer.)

I wasn't a fan of the 911R concept. I didn't try to get one (couldn't have even if I tried) and didn't see the big deal of it. If I wanted a fabulous road car, I'll go drive my 914/6. You don't need 20/21" wheels with 500hp to feel exhilarated driving. In fact, the limits on all of these cars are so high that you can't even get close to them on the road without risking jail time. Because of that, they are actually less fun to drive up a mountain road than something from 25+ years ago with analog parts (provided it's all running fine).

I guess what I'm saying is that it is silly to criticize any modern sports car for being best and with most purpose on the track. Only vintage cars are cars for enjoyable road driving, at least imo.
It just depends on what performance level of car you're driving on the road.

an E46 330i is completely accessible for public road thrashing, and much more powerful cars than that, provided you scope out the roads first.

When I attack the back roads, it's almost always at night. Before driving at the limit I'll make a slow pass to check for parked cops, cyclists, pedestrians, etc.
Old 11-05-2017 | 07:34 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Originally Posted by Argon_
When I attack the back roads, it's almost always at night. Before driving at the limit I'll make a slow pass to check for parked cops, cyclists, pedestrians, etc.

IMO, that's real risky, regardless of the ethics of that type of performance driving on public roads....here in Ontario, after dark is when the wildlife moves out of the woods and fields to the roadsides - way more likely to have these collisions after dark.
Old 11-05-2017 | 07:55 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by jmh981
IMO, that's real risky, regardless of the ethics of that type of performance driving on public roads....here in Ontario, after dark is when the wildlife moves out of the woods and fields to the roadsides - way more likely to have these collisions after dark.
Fair enough, if that's the conditions in your neck of the woods.

Where I live in the NE, the big wildlife aren't too bad at night. Most of the stuff that'd be in the road is small enough to be decapitated by my splitter.

Or would be. I'm a little too crippled for performance driving atm.
Old 11-05-2017 | 11:44 PM
ConcreteCowboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by faztaz
Has anyone in the US been able to place their order for PTS? For those who have ordered/spec'd their vehicles what options did you choose?
No i was politely told to choose a color from the configurator and that PTS would not be offered.
Old 11-06-2017 | 04:44 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

It just depends on what performance level of car you're driving on the road.

an E46 330i is completely accessible for public road thrashing, and much more powerful cars than that, provided you scope out the roads first.

Fair enough, if that's the conditions in your neck of the woods.

Where I live in the NE, the big wildlife aren't too bad at night. Most of the stuff that'd be in the road is small enough to be decapitated by my splitter.

Or would be. I'm a little too crippled for performance driving atm.
You're extremely lucky that you are still alive, solvent, and out of jail.
Old 11-06-2017 | 04:52 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

The GT2RS may be overkill for the road if you live in some speed restricted congested hell hole but drive your new RS out of the factory and you can be enjoying that 0-300 in 22.9s within 20 minutes legally. Porsche cars are made in Germany, land of the Autobahn so many of you including Mr Cat D 996 "i've never been beyond the M25" don't seem to understand that.

I'll just plonk this here in case any of you want to see what a 700+hp GT2 and the Autobahn looks like.
Old 11-06-2017 | 05:14 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Watch December Top Gear for a similar piece.
Have just read first review in Top Gear mag.

Not going to post pics here, as it's someone's copyright, but summary is that car performs as expected:

More civilised than previous 2RS, and can deploy all of its powers better than ever before. Not tame, but more useable. Doesn't feel assisted and has razor sharp responses.

The best sounding Turbo engine to date, and ahead of the 488's but not quite as good as the NA.

Ends up by saying it's an awesome car, but reviewer would still prefer 3RS as you 'have to work harder for your speed'. (Seems like dancing on a pin-head to suggests that a 500bhp PDK RS needs hard work to go fast, but there you go).

Conclusion: "When you completely absolutely have to have the fastest car out there...".

That, to me, is preferable to sticking forks in my eyes; others may differ ;-)
Old 11-06-2017 | 05:14 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

The GT2RS may be overkill for the road if you live in some speed restricted congested hell hole but drive your new RS out of the factory and you can be enjoying that 0-300 in 22.9s within 20 minutes legally. Porsche cars are made in Germany, land of the Autobahn so many of you including Mr Cat D 996 "i've never been beyond the M25" don't seem to understand that.
Accelerating to, and driving at >200km/h in a straight line doesn't do anything for me. All risk, zero fun -- achievable with a muscled out $10k Camaro. For me, the straights are both the riskiest and the most boring parts of any track.

The EVO guy only explained why he isn't interested in a gt2rs. Looks like the gt2(rs) is targeting a different clientele.

Quick Reply: 991 GT2RS