Sponsored by:

911R configuration thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Black gold
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
you sound like a class act and a total gentleman, but perhaps you missed the original post on this thread. let me copy and paste it here for you:
Anonymous 918 , I hope your 918 triples in value and Porsche gives you halo cars for cost in the future cause you had the b***s to fork out a mil , it's not a crime to be successful.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:00 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black gold
Anonymous 918 , I hope your 918 triples in value and Porsche gives you halo cars for cost in the future cause you had the b***s to fork out a mil , it's not a crime to be successful.
thanks but i don't care if it triples in value or not. i bought my 918 because I have been obsessed with Porsches since I was a teenager living on food-stamps. despite what 918 haters say, some of us are huge fans of the brand and die hard petrolheads. unfortunately lately it does feel like it is a crime to be successful
Old 03-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Black gold
Intermediate

thanks but i don't care if it triples in value or not. i bought my 918 because I have been obsessed with Porsches since I was a teenager living on food-stamps. despite what 918 haters say, some of us are huge fans of the brand and die hard petrolheads. unfortunately lately it does feel like it is a crime to be successful
As a teen I would ride my bike 50 miles just to see a new Porsche , I know what you mean about obsession
Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxt
I'm not particularly interested in this one but might be interesting for some.

Just been given confirmation that contrast stitching is now available for the R and can be ordered on cars with scheduled build date from week 22/2016.

Colors available will be: Black, Red, Racing Yellow, Acid Green, Lava Orange, Stone Grey, Luxor Beige, Espresso, Cognac, Garnet Red

Let's hope next step will be a PTS window!!
Originally Posted by Apolo1
Hi M
Hope you are well...Thanks for this. IMV This was needed...
Hello you 2 , I'll see you at spa in the 997 4.0 and Brumos
Imv
Respectfully

Btw I went black ultralight spec

Waaaaaaaaa

Last edited by wtdoom; 03-16-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:40 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Affirmative - a sound better than Bose or Burmester - a bit of individualistic analog in an all too homogeneous digital world.

P.S. Instead of putting together a kit to save 50+ kg on the R as I am contemplating if there is enough interest around the world, I wish there was a market for 300 kg as this would be truly remarkable.
im uk based and am up for parts as mental as you want to go
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 44 Posts

When will these new options show up on the configurator? Don't have many of the options that have been talked about on the website configurator.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:27 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
im uk based and am up for parts as mental as you want to go
I'm pretty sure you don't need us to egg you on, but DO IT (pleeeease)!!! That's going to be one ridiculous ride!!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

How low in weight we can go is a matter of time and, to an extent, money; although, in the case of the R, good enginnering is the defining factor and endless money cannot compensate for poor engineering.

I would suggest that we first set out to eliminate 50 to 60kg from the R, look we are and then the group can decide if we should go further. Two more things:

1. I think the goal should be the best driver's car we can create - and by that I mean something in which each of you would be happy to be for hours, either alone or with another, and smile without stop about the pure fun of it. In that regard, I would urge that we not create a Cup Car with a few comforts but, instead, a comfortable street car which handles at a level close to a Cup Car and without attracting the attention of a race car or a so-called hyper car. In other words, brilliant but understated.

2. I would be happy to turn the net profits from the kits over to two or three good causes among which could be: (i) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, which a Porsche enthusiast, Paul Newman, founded and (ii) TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors).
Old 03-17-2016, 03:32 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,321 Likes on 618 Posts

How low in weight we can go is a matter of time and, to an extent, money; although, in the case of the R, good enginnering is the defining factor and endless money cannot compensate for poor engineering.

I would suggest that we first set out to eliminate 50 to 60kg from the R, look we are and then the group can decide if we should go further. Two more things:

1. I think the goal should be the best driver's car we can create - and by that I mean something in which each of you would be happy to be for hours, either alone or with another, and smile without stop about the pure fun of it. In that regard, I would urge that we not create a Cup Car with a few comforts but, instead, a comfortable street car which handles at a level close to a Cup Car and without attracting the attention of a race car or a so-called hyper car. In other words, brilliant but understated.

2. I would be happy to turn the net profits from the kits over to two or three good causes among which could be: (i) The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, which a Porsche enthusiast, Paul Newman, founded and (ii) TAPS (Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors).

I'm in
Old 03-17-2016, 05:16 AM
wtdoom
Pro

Agreed with all the above , it must remain comfortable and I'd add another challenge ; it must look reasonably stock and keep carpets etc
Safest way to do it is offer a part by part basis some people may want to go too extreme
Old 03-17-2016, 05:44 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 561 Likes on 359 Posts

Robert, would it possible to create a specific thread about this project?
For the moment, there seems to have many in parallel.

Even if not directly concerned, I appreciate the idea of a specific aftermarket kit that would reduce the weight of an R.
I think it must be easily reversible, so no modification of original parts would be better.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:39 AM
16'991GT3
Pro

If it feels like a crime to be successful put me in jail right now! I'm sure it gets annoying but the fact the you get to wake up to a garage with 2 918s in it must remove all of that annoyance
Old 03-17-2016, 09:10 AM
FLAT6KING
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Agreed with all the above , it must remain comfortable and I'd add another challenge ; it must look reasonably stock and keep carpets etc Safest way to do it is offer a part by part basis some people may want to go too extreme
Great idea! I would look for well kept 991 C4S manual cars (for the wide body), and then remove the shaft to the front axel making it RWD. Then work in sections power train, interior, suspension, and such for development of option groups for people to choose from. Of course a full fat package of everything as well. I was even thinking about using a 50th as the base for my own project.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:44 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Re-imagined by Linton!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only being fortunate to own a 918 not being something to hide or be ashamed of, it should be a source of pride and a symbol of accomplishment. However, what upsets many Porsche and car enthusiasts is those owners who could care less about the greatness of the car and actually revelling in the thrill of driving it but is rather focussed on the prestige intrinsic to owning the car.

While an automobile can be an object d'art it is far more than a painting or a sculpture because not only it is a thing of beauty bringing the viewer pleasure by simply observing it, if offers the even greater thrill of its intended purpose, namely driving it. The true car enthusiast will always focus on the exhilaration of getting behind the wheel and experiencing the potential a car has to offer.

Quick Reply: 911R configuration thread