Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MANUAL transmission enthusiasts: 991.2 GT3 manual, or GT3 RS PDK if forced to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

991 GT3 is meant for the track, using OEM tires. It happens be comfortable so you can go to/from the track without trailering. Given the car's speed and capability, PDK makes the most sense. Putting manual in the car would be like giving a sprinter shoes that don't fit well.

Manual makes more sense in the 997 and 996 GT3 because those cars were from another era - and they feel like it.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:17 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
991 GT3 is meant for the track, using OEM tires. It happens be comfortable so you can go to/from the track without trailering. Given the car's speed and capability, PDK makes the most sense. Putting manual in the car would be like giving a sprinter shoes that don't fit well.

Manual makes more sense in the 997 and 996 GT3 because those cars were from another era - and they feel like it.
You and I see eye to eye on a lot of things, but not when it comes to the GT3 being a track car. I think the GT3, any variant, is more a super sports car than a track car. It's got cup holders, insulation, navigation, leather, a PDK (need the pneumatic sequential), etc. Just my opinion of course - I admit it's a bit strict but I've driven race cars and they are very hard to drive right and extremely 'twitchy.'
Old 03-06-2016, 12:35 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
You and I see eye to eye on a lot of things, but not when it comes to the GT3 being a track car. I think the GT3, any variant, is more a super sports car than a track car. It's got cup holders, insulation, navigation, leather, a PDK (need the pneumatic sequential), etc. Just my opinion of course - I admit it's a bit strict but I've driven race cars and they are very hard to drive right and extremely 'twitchy.'
Agreed. It's a track capable car that is fun on track. It's no race car and while we're at it...GT3 and RS are much much closer than any RS owners are willing to admit to themselves. It's a cars and coffee play...
Old 03-06-2016, 01:06 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

It appears to me Porsche is sending a message and it bodes well for those who bought the GT3 RS. The RS is for the track- that, occasionally can be driven to Dairy Queen. The GT3 will become sort of a hybrid and be the gate way drug the the full track car experience. They should not put a manual in the RS; and I get it.

The Germans are marketing geniuses. Think hard about everything right now. From the GT4-GT3-RS. You build stepping stones and brand loyalty. There whole business was built upon this from the Carrera to the S to the Turbo ect.. They are building a similar structure on the GT-side. They also want a little of what Ferrari has and the last year and a half they proved they can be Ferrari by shorting the market on their marquee brand. Look at all of us. They are sitting back eating popcorn and loving this. But - we are loving it too because we will get the car each person wants - within reason
Old 03-06-2016, 01:11 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
It's a cars and coffee play...
Subjective, but ludicrously inaccurate in my opinion. I just tracked my 991 RS for the first time and the car is incredibly capable and most importantly rewarding to drive on the track. The fact that it's a stock street car on street tires trumping race prepped vehicles is rather nuts. I agree in theory the car doesn't make a lot of sense, but in practice it's fantastic. I typically hate driving any street cars on a circuit.

Certainly not built for (though sadly often used for) cars and coffee. That's a people problem...not a manufacturer problem
Old 03-06-2016, 01:43 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,513 Posts

For me sports car = manual, race car = self-shifter. If a manual GT3 really is on the way I'd want one without that rear wing.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:52 AM
Michael ZZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A year or two back, I would have insisted on a manual. Since owning the 991 GT3 however, I would go for the PDK if I got the 991.2 GT3. The GT3 is targeted more towards daily driving and the RS is for track. The way traffic is building in all places I travel in, the PDK makes more sense given the auto mode.

Having said this, in the ideal world, I would have the RS for track days, a GT3 for day to day and the 911R for those special weekend mountain pass drives where traffic is not an issue.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:57 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Subjective, but ludicrously inaccurate in my opinion. I just tracked my 991 RS for the first time and the car is incredibly capable and most importantly rewarding to drive on the track. The fact that it's a stock street car on street tires trumping race prepped vehicles is rather nuts. I agree in theory the car doesn't make a lot of sense, but in practice it's fantastic. I typically hate driving any street cars on a circuit.

Certainly not built for (though sadly often used for) cars and coffee. That's a people problem...not a manufacturer problem
Fair enough.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

PDK s for RS
stick for GT4
Old 03-06-2016, 02:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Any new 911 is PDK for me.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:26 AM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a silly question if you can afford both and the dealer is not marking up the cars. You have the space, money and allocations...spec and buy both. You do the right and you will have NO issue selling the RS, and a MT GT3 will not hang around either. Either car is great, but forced to chose it would have to be the RS.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 AM
R35driver
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a dct and a manual in the garage. Both are great in their own ways.

I think that a majority of 991.2 gt3 cars will still be pdk just because of how versatile it is. But this will make the manuals rarer and much more sought after.

When people are looking to buy a 991 gt3 in the future.. the manual, lwb, pccb 991.2 will be the hot ticket. I really can't see the 992 continuing to have a NA flat-6 and being competitive.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:51 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Subjective, but ludicrously inaccurate in my opinion. I just tracked my 991 RS for the first time and the car is incredibly capable and most importantly rewarding to drive on the track. The fact that it's a stock street car on street tires trumping race prepped vehicles is rather nuts. I agree in theory the car doesn't make a lot of sense, but in practice it's fantastic. I typically hate driving any street cars on a circuit. Certainly not built for (though sadly often used for) cars and coffee. That's a people problem...not a manufacturer problem
^^^^ this! You are bang on with this post. And this is what I don't understand about the word "purity" does purity mean put a manual in any car and all of a sudden it's a car for the purist (rhetorical)? As mentioned, this car is very capable and very rewarding to drive on circuit. It will do all you ask of it. And that to me is what "purity" is. What a car!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,491 Posts

I make a distinction between street car vs track car vs race car.

A Camry is a street car. Comfortable on the street, and a capable driver won't attempt to track it unless he wants to see it malfunction. Simply not designed for the track. They generally don't come with R-comp tires.

The GT3 and RS are track cars. Comfortable enough on the road, and very rewarding to drive on track for a capable driver by simply upgrading the brake fluid (they should come with decent fluid in the first place) and maybe the brake pads. They're designed so that even a capable driver can hammer them on track all day, day after day, and they'll take it. They're faster than some race cars. Some track cars may be enjoyable to drive on the road at sane speeds, but some will be fairly boring at those speeds. Manufacturers may (and should) vouch for the cars being track cars by explicitly covering track use under the warranty.

Race cars aren't compromised for street use, and thus not street legal. Slicks, suspension too stiff for the road, real track seats, full cage, etc. Race cars may or may not be faster than the GT3 and RS, but some, like the 997 cup and 991 cup, are much faster.

I would say that the non-GT Porsche sports cars are close to being track cars rather than street cars, but tend to not be as rewarding and durable for track use as the GT cars, and so they're better suited for street use with only occasional track use. AP seems to have said as much about the R.

Last edited by Manifold; 03-06-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:09 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Except, that's not a very good way of collecting that data. As we already know (from some of the people above that like to hang out in the 991 forum), there are a lot of people who will vote for the manual on principle, but have no real intention of buying a car. That's why real numbers on something like the M4 are so telling. BMW enthusiasts are just as serious about "proper" transmissions, they have overwhelmingly spoken with their wallets.
amen.

i remember the fussing in the ///M fanbase - hopefully also MT available and than hell yeah drivers car - i will buy MT - ,.....

337 pcs M4 for sale at mobile.de (whole EU)
just 20 pcs with MT
thats 5,9%

maybe on a 991.2GT3+RS it would be 10% but not more.

if the 991R would be offered also with PDK - i could bet that maximum 20% would be equipped with MT.

Quick Reply: MANUAL transmission enthusiasts: 991.2 GT3 manual, or GT3 RS PDK if forced to choose?