Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TPG
Car has 45k miles. Misfire happens on any gear at high revs. 2nd gear is easy. Rev it to 8k and leave it up there for a couple seconds and it triggers a reduced power warning.
This for me did not wrk even though i had a misfire on Cyl #2 about a month ago. Porsche swapped out plug 2 and 3 then said the misfire was due to a bad injector. Now when i go to 2nd gear i can’t get pass 8500 rpm on certain occasions
Old 12-10-2021, 01:00 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Took the car out this morning to go to wrk drove it a few miles came to a stop at a light and got this message. Just randomly came on at a stop light. I shut the car off and turned it back on and message was gone. I’ll drive the car later when i get out of work and see if it comes on either way I’ll be calling the dealer to set up an appointment. I was actually supposed to take the car to the dealer yesterday due to low oil light even though they did an oil change about 3 weeks ago.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:55 PM
64% Cacoa
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think Santa may be bringing you a new motor for Christmas! I haven't been out in my GT3 since the plug swap 'repair' but think it likely I'll have a similar experience in the New year.... Enjoy the G6
Old 12-10-2021, 03:04 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I’m crossing my fingers that’s the out come. Hopefully they get it that this issue/misfire will keep coming back keep you guys posted.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:22 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Just checked code on my FOXWELL and this is what came up

Old 12-13-2021, 10:09 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Spoke with the dealer today. Was told it is most likely the engine. Shop foreman is checking something tomorrow and they will know for sure by the end of the day.
My service advisor told me that there are no engines in the us right now and that one would have to shipped from Germany and that I might be responsible for shipping. He would try to have Porsche cover the shipping and try and rush it. Does that sound correct? Does anyone have a way to check if there are any engines in the us?
Old 12-14-2021, 06:28 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Gtfo no way do you have to pay for that. I would reach out to US headquarters. GL
Old 12-14-2021, 11:36 AM
itrsteve
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by TPG
Spoke with the dealer today. Was told it is most likely the engine. Shop foreman is checking something tomorrow and they will know for sure by the end of the day.
My service advisor told me that there are no engines in the us right now and that one would have to shipped from Germany and that I might be responsible for shipping. He would try to have Porsche cover the shipping and try and rush it. Does that sound correct? Does anyone have a way to check if there are any engines in the us?
I know a local owner reached out to me stating the same availability issue but there's no way in hell that you should be paying for shipping.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:41 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TPG
There are no engines in the US right now, that much is true, or, at least I've heard the same thing from my dealer. I've been waiting for mine for a few weeks, its expected at the end of this month. Regarding shipping, that's not on you. The replacement should be 100% free of charge regardless of where the engine has to be shipped from.

Last edited by Dub911; 12-15-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:50 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dub911
There are no engines in the US right now, that much is true, or, at least I've heard the same thing from my dealer. I've been waiting for mine for a few weeks, its expected at the end of this month. Regarding shipping, that's not on you. The replacement should be 100% free of charge regardless of where the engine has to be shipped from.
Was just told by my SA that I will indeed need a new engine. Metal shavings in the oil and scoring on the cams. How long did it take you to get Porsche approval? Also when did you order your new engine. I’m being told I should have my car back mid Jan.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:56 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TPG
Was just told by my SA that I will indeed need a new engine. Metal shavings in the oil and scoring on the cams. How long did it take you to get Porsche approval? Also when did you order your new engine. I’m being told I should have my car back mid Jan.
lucky SOB lol I’m still pushing mine. I went to the dealer showed them i had a misfire on cylinder 3 and they cleared code configured something with injectors and sent me on my way :/ very disappointed. I spoke to the mechanic and he said ehh due to the cold weather these cars throw misfires blah blah blah. I said I’ll be back you’ll see.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:01 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TPG
The approval didn't take that long, getting parts so they could open the engine took two weeks though. The car has been at the dealer about three weeks now.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:05 PM
Dub911
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rhdjon
lucky SOB lol I’m still pushing mine. I went to the dealer showed them i had a misfire on cylinder 3 and they cleared code configured something with injectors and sent me on my way :/ very disappointed. I spoke to the mechanic and he said ehh due to the cold weather these cars throw misfires blah blah blah. I said I’ll be back you’ll see.
The difference in dealerships when it comes to this issue are vast. In my case, the car went into limp mode once, with no codes or CEL. I then drove it over 350 miles, hit the redline numerous times but could not trigger limp mode again. I took it to the dealer and they immediately advised that I have the engine opened and a visual inspection performed. They explained that if it was NOT the issue I would be charged for the parts and labor to open it (Approx. $4K). I thought that was a fair gamble, so I had them proceed...and sure enough.

Last edited by Dub911; 12-15-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:18 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dub911
The difference in dealerships when it comes to this issue are vast. In my case, the car went into limp mode once, with no codes or CEL. I then drove it over 350 miles, hit the redline numerous times but could not trigger limp mode again. I took it to the dealer and they immediately advised that I have the engine opened and a visual inspection performed. They explained that if it was NOT the issue I would be charged for the parts and labor to open it (Approx. $4K). I thought that was a fair gamble, so I had them proceed...and sure enough.

Wow that’s a gamble. I will tell you this next time i get some sort of warning light i will be driving it 350 miles as hard as it will let me.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:41 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rhdjon
Wow that’s a gamble. I will tell you this next time i get some sort of warning light i will be driving it 350 miles as hard as it will let me.
mine would go into limp mode immediately once I tried to get on it.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?