Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 01:08 PM
N99x_
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhdjon
I have the same thing going on with mine after i got it back from dealer with a misfire on Cyl #2 but I’m definitely trying what steve said.
What code reader does the community approve of for these cars? For my other cars (VAG cars) I've just used the VDCS software, is there something comparable for our cars?
Old 12-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by N99x_
What code reader does the community approve of for these cars? For my other cars (VAG cars) I've just used the VDCS software, is there something comparable for our cars?
not sure I’m sure someone will say
Old 12-03-2021, 10:18 PM
cms432
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats, if I am reading it right there was only one day between dropping the car off for diagnostics last and hearing that finger follower wear was present? If so that's pretty phenomenal, My car has been @ dealer this entire week and not a peep about what the problem could be.
This is correct. Dropped my car off Tuesday morning, got the call Wednesday morning. I felt like this would be the ultimate result, but I expected to go through a few more intermediate steps like replacing spark plugs, etc. Especially since the dealer didn't do much to investigate the week before. I did make sure to remind them of the known wear issue and special 10-year engine warranty. My engine was due for new plugs and and oil change and I expect those will now be included with the replacement engine
Old 12-03-2021, 10:26 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cms432
This is correct. Dropped my car off Tuesday morning, got the call Wednesday morning. I felt like this would be the ultimate result, but I expected to go through a few more intermediate steps like replacing spark plugs, etc. Especially since the dealer didn't do much to investigate the week before. I did make sure to remind them of the known wear issue and special 10-year engine warranty. My engine was due for new plugs and and oil change and I expect those will now be included with the replacement engine

nice. For mine they did the replacement on plugs in Cyl 2 and 3 they also replaced 1 injector.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:46 AM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey guys, so a couple months ago I had a misfire on one of the cylinders. I took it in to the dealer and they recommended changing coils and plugs. I ended up changing the coils and plugs myself and I’ve been driving the car since then with no issues. I went to the track on Saturday and halfway through the day I got a misfire again on cylinder 6. This time it feels a little different. I swapped the coil and plug and it’s still misfiring on the same cylinder. I tried the leave it in second gear and rev it to 8500-9k rpm and it immediately throws a code. Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow let’s see what they say.
Also should I tell them it happened on the track?
Old 12-07-2021, 06:59 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TPG
Hey guys, so a couple months ago I had a misfire on one of the cylinders. I took it in to the dealer and they recommended changing coils and plugs. I ended up changing the coils and plugs myself and I’ve been driving the car since then with no issues. I went to the track on Saturday and halfway through the day I got a misfire again on cylinder 6. This time it feels a little different. I swapped the coil and plug and it’s still misfiring on the same cylinder. I tried the leave it in second gear and rev it to 8500-9k rpm and it immediately throws a code. Taking the car to the dealer tomorrow let’s see what they say.
Also should I tell them it happened on the track?
Tell them nothing just bring the car in and tell them you have the misfire again. I’m surprised that they didn’t take your car in the first time to do the diagnostics. How many miles do you have on your .1 ? Also what gear did you experience this misfire ?
Old 12-07-2021, 04:04 PM
64% Cacoa
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading the latest few posts in the thread with interest, I've just had much the same experience. My '15 F engine GT3 tripped a CEL and showed reduced power on dash warning, missfire code cly 2. PO302 last month. After a three week wait to get it into the shop, P Dealer in Bellevue, swapped coil pack and spark plug around, then fitted a new set of plugs and a coil pack, cleared code, apparently didn't set code again? However, I think it highly unlikely they brought motor up to 8.5 - 9K rpm in town, so it it really fixed? They only put 6 miles on it test driving in town at low speed? I think I ended up with $2K bill for an oil change and plugs and one coil pack, all on a motor that still isn't sorted? Guess I have to keep driving (hard), what do I do the next time this throws the code? We shouldn't be in the position of having to wait for failure, this clearly should have been a full recall, PAG / PCNA seem to have avoided this by drip feeding the replacement motors.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:51 PM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 64% Cacoa
Reading the latest few posts in the thread with interest, I've just had much the same experience. My '15 F engine GT3 tripped a CEL and showed reduced power on dash warning, missfire code cly 2. PO302 last month. After a three week wait to get it into the shop, P Dealer in Bellevue, swapped coil pack and spark plug around, then fitted a new set of plugs and a coil pack, cleared code, apparently didn't set code again? However, I think it highly unlikely they brought motor up to 8.5 - 9K rpm in town, so it it really fixed? They only put 6 miles on it test driving in town at low speed? I think I ended up with $2K bill for an oil change and plugs and one coil pack, all on a motor that still isn't sorted? Guess I have to keep driving (hard), what do I do the next time this throws the code? We shouldn't be in the position of having to wait for failure, this clearly should have been a full recall, PAG / PCNA seem to have avoided this by drip feeding the replacement motors.
Sounds very familiar to my story. Unlike yours the one thing different they did was swapped out 1 injector and claimed that was the reason for the misfire. As far as your bill that should’ve being covered due to your CEL light. I didn’t pay 1 cent
Old 12-07-2021, 08:20 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

The 14 and 15 cars had coil packs ending in 04. These have proven to fail and the new coil ending in 07 are much better. Hi revs are not what harms these motors, it is the opposite. Low revs driving around town are what kill these motors. Lack of proper oiling is the main culprit. The damage done in town just raises its ugly head at high revs.
The following users liked this post:
jfr0317 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 10:06 PM
TPG
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhdjon
Tell them nothing just bring the car in and tell them you have the misfire again. I’m surprised that they didn’t take your car in the first time to do the diagnostics. How many miles do you have on your .1 ? Also what gear did you experience this misfire ?
Car has 45k miles. Misfire happens on any gear at high revs. 2nd gear is easy. Rev it to 8k and leave it up there for a couple seconds and it triggers a reduced power warning.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:59 PM
64% Cacoa
Track Day

I was moving uphill at >100mph when the CEL set, but as you write, 'low revs driving around town are what kill these motors' i.e. It's a fatal design flaw in the oiling system in 991.1 GT3 motor.
Given the nature of the issue, the diagnostic pantomime at the dealer should now really include a visual inspection of the cams, not just swapping parts around and clearing the code followed by a quick trip around the block. FYI: The 'old' spark plugs they changed only had 410 miles on them, and the coil pack changed was Cly 4 not the one throwing the code, that was Cly2. Still, I've got fresh oil and spark plugs (;-0)) for winter storage. The single coil pack was $117 plus tax, I'm glad they didn't change them all given that a set of 6 OEM is only around $320 elsewhere, I'll hold off buying 5 more though as I suspect the missfire will be back in the Spring.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:00 PM
64% Cacoa
Track Day

deleted duplicate post

Last edited by 64% Cacoa; 12-07-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:19 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by carz80am
sent pm Macca. What makes this great for me is that I bought the car used from a porsche dealership, had to wait almost a month to have it delivered to me, within 24 hours I get overfill light and check engine lights. Took to my local dealer who I despise since I had my name on the gt3rs list and they are selling my spot because I don't want to pay $150k over msrp for the allocation
the overfill light is super common on those, don’t necessarily have to take to the dealer. Porsche boutique shop might even be a better fit. At least in my area, the boutique Porsche service shop is way more skilled. Food for thought.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:07 AM
N99x_
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joining the party with my recently acquired '15 GT3... was aware of the "lottery" when I bought the car private party. I had only put about 200 miles on the car before experiencing issues, just a tick over 14K miles.

During some spirited driving, I experienced bad high RPM (8300) misfire, which quickly progressed to running pretty rough and noticeably down on power. The workshop light didn't turn on until I let the revs fall <3k. After letting the car sit, it did not want to start at all. Towed the car home, took an oil sample to send to Blackstone, changed spark plugs. The oil sample was pretty clean, no glitter. Have not received blackstone report yet. The car is now at the dealership awaiting diagnostics. Last time I tried to start it up, it sounded like absolute mechanical mayhem while stumbling to a high idle. Two of the six exhaust headers were cold after the ~10 seconds of barely idling. The others were scalding hot. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best.
Originally Posted by itrsteve
Certainly sounds like you won. Normally when these things go it's simply limp mode and you trot over to the dealer below 4k, but your situation sounds like chaos.

Best of luck on your Christmas miracle
Originally Posted by Mthrice
200 miles, I believe that’s the record!

Just heard back from dealer today, misfire verified and camshaft code is stored in the ECU. SA tells me it looks like a pretty cut and dry valvetrain related failure and engine warranty should be applicable. If the engine gets ordered this week, should only be a few weeks for transit + a couple days for install. Time to start curating a list of twistys to go drive during break-in!
Spoiler

Last edited by N99x_; 12-08-2021 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:59 AM
Rhdjon
Rennlist Member

That’s great news ^. GL

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?