Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Foxsasha
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
As compared to the GT3, there are less RS, they have less miles on average, and they have less track miles on average. So I don't think it can be concluded that they don't have similar engine issues just because less problems have been reported so far. This of course applies to the bubble-priced R as well, which has manual trans and therefore less protection against over-revs ...

My own GT3 has over 20K miles, and over 6K track miles. The engine hasn't failed yet, but that doesn't mean I don't have reason to be concerned that it will fail during the remaining warranty period. I'd expect to do a rebuild after the warranty ends (and had planned to keep the car for maybe 10+ years), but I don't see doing a rebuild during the warranty period as being reasonable, both because it would risk voiding the warranty and because I think the car should have designed to avoid the cost of a rebuild during the warranty period. I don't think heavily tracked 996 and 997 GT3s weren't routinely rebuilt during their warranty periods.
Do we know if the RS runs different valve train and lubrication system to the GT3? Any reason why the RS wouldn't suffer the same percentage failure rate based on the same use and mileage?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:08 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxsasha
Do we know if the RS runs different valve train and lubrication system to the GT3? Any reason why the RS wouldn't suffer the same percentage failure rate based on the same use and mileage?
The lower rpm limit. Much of the wear and potential damage from higher rpm is based on kinetic energy, which is square to speed. So a reduction from 9000 to 8700 rpm means a reduction of 7% of all kinetic energy based on rpm.

That is certainly a significant enough number.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:16 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The RPMs don't drop at all during upshifts or downshifts. The computer holds the RPMs on upshifts and rev matches on downshifts. Also pdk comes with a dual mass flywheel which is very smooth.
The finger followers lose their DLC due to lack of lubrication and score the cam lobes.
I would think that is impossible. There has to be a drop in rpms since the next gear on up shift has a different ratio. That is precisely the instance I am referring to. The exact mechanics of that shift differ from a MT. The bogging down of the motor most likely is more violent than a typical MT up shift because of the speed of the transition. Either way it was just a thought and wanted to lay it out there and see what members think.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:21 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
The lower rpm limit. Much of the wear and potential damage from higher rpm is based on kinetic energy, which is square to speed. So a reduction from 9000 to 8700 rpm means a reduction of 7% of all kinetic energy based on rpm.

So you are saying if i regularly shift in my F 2015 GT3 above 8,000 but below 8,500 then there should be no issues ever?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:39 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,588 Posts

Doesn't the RS have the same bore, but longer stroke? For the same rpm, longer stroke means higher piston speed, so you have to do some math to see how the kinetic energy, stresses, etc. compare when considering both rpm and stroke. I recall this being discussed previously in RL, with the conclusion that GT3 and RS have the same max piston speed.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Whoa. Way above my pay grade but great point.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:12 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Regardless of the rebuild schedule, the GT3 engine is eating itself and this is why so many are failing. Finger followers in an engine should not show wear patterns, period...

Engines get rebuilt for ring seal, valve guides, chain guide/tensioner wear or bearing wear (bmw's rod bearings especially for this one).

The issue with the finger followers is well documented at this point and will only start to surface more, unfortunately...
Jaime: Do we know if all the failures revolve around the cam wipe? I've read there have been other reasons.

Seems each generation from my reading has had issues with terminal failures. The 991 E & F are not alone. Again, they are remedied by PAG and in most cases represent a very small % of total engines. In fact with the E's they replaced all engines even though only a small number failed.

PAG is very protective of their "rep". Rightfully so. These cars are still amazing and predominate at local tracks compared to other high end performance machines for a reason.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:05 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Doesn't the RS have the same bore, but longer stroke? For the same rpm, longer stroke means higher piston speed, so you have to do some math to see how the kinetic energy, stresses, etc. compare when considering both rpm and stroke. I recall this being discussed previously in RL, with the conclusion that GT3 and RS have the same max piston speed.
Load-wise on the things that matter to keep the bottom-end together, I believe that's completely on point. But it is possible that the valve-train turning faster creates lubrication issues. You would probably see higher loads on the valve-train at 9000rpm than 8500, more valve inertia, more force on the cam lobes to control the valve position, friction, heat, not to mention different behavior in how the oil film stays adhered to the part surfaces. Whatever may be the answer, until there are Rs and RSs dropping like flies as is the case with GT3s, it's hard to really know if the lower RPM limit helps avoid the issue. Either way, I find it very surprising given how much development and even automated engine load cell tech they have that this was not identified WAAAAAY earlier. Porsche engineering prowess has definitely dropped a notch in my book for the things I care about (track worthiness).
Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
So you are saying if i regularly shift in my F 2015 GT3 above 8,000 but below 8,500 then there should be no issues ever?
All I'm saying is that it could move it into RS lifetime. You don't have the DLC coating, though.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:29 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Piston speed, yes.

But the speed of the cam lobe "rubbing" on the finger follower? I bet that whatever is doing the damage there (heat, or stress from repeated impact) is proportional to the square of rpm.

I also wonder about the speed with which the valves move. Valve opening speed should be increasing proportional to rpm increase (which means kinetic energy of the valve is square of rpm). Valve closing speed on the other hand is instead driven by the spring and will not depend on rpm.

I didn't think this through but is it possible that the valve behaves a bit like it is wedged (of course it isn't actually wedged, but something that makes it resist more). And the finger follower presses down on it when it isn't ready to do so when rpms are high?

That is one reason why I would like to get my flippers on a damaged finger follower. I think some easy to do analysis would make us able to tell whether the primary damaging factor is from heat (with normal force and impulse) or from abnormal force. For starters the former would undo some of the annealing. Of course we'd first have to see whether the steel used there is annealed originally. There are reasons why it might not. Those steel geeks can go on and on about that forever.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

I wonder how much of this is related to the time the engine spends at 8000-9000 rpm as compared to a manual car. Some tracks/drivers may result in a lot of time running at high rpms whereas one would have downshifted a manual car earlier or before a corner previously. The pdk makes it much easier to stay around 8500rpm without worrying about hitting the cutoff or miss-shifting. I wonder if Porsche didn't test on shorter high rpm tracks and under-tested this scenario.

Has anyone driven older and current GT3's on the same track and noticed where the average rpms are?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:43 AM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking to purchase a 2014 GT3 with 3175 miles. PCNA said the engine was swapped at the hub before delivery to the first owner. Serial has it as a "E" motor. Car has CPO for another 3 years +/-. Should I pass on this car or is it likely fine with the motor swap? I did not read the entire 141 page thread but these motors going up are concerning for long term ownership.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:30 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

First you need to decide on how you are going to use the car.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:28 PM
ZZinger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
First you need to decide on how you are going to use the car.
No track time 4000 miles a year spirited driving on public roads.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZinger
No track time 4000 miles a year spirited driving on public roads.
With CPO warranty, go for it.
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?