Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 08:41 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
I am one of those people. I do drink coffee however.

I am a degreed Mechanical Engineer and have rebuilt my share of engines. Track reliability is one of the reasons I stuck with Porsche for so many years. They stand up well to this use and this car was sold as engineered for it. Agree completely on the fact added wear happens on the track, but this is a bit too short (11k miles, 1000 miles on track) for a rebuild. I also agree the top end decision is BS, hence the reason I went to customer care and took an oil sample. Even so as you say I have no choice.
Carmen,
Sorry about your issue. Hope you can make Instructors Weekend.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:32 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
Delivery in Jan 2015 means, CDinSings car has the older heads. Engine number would be interesting anyway.

@ Jamie: your car also has the old heads, right? It hasn't any fix since delivery? I'm very interested to see the results of your testing! Will you also make cams with even more power / high rpm optimized timings?
Mine is all original, so I've got the original incarnation of the heads and cams.

We also have cranks, rods, and pistons drawn up for 4.0-4.3L builds. But first we fix the heads, then we move on to power!

A solid lifter style cam does allow for faster ramp open and closed, but we don't really want to make the valve acceleration too much more than it is now to start, especially since we're not planning on changing valve springs/seats etc...

One step at a time...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 11-11-2016, 10:00 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
No offense taken, as I too have a ticking timebomb in a 2014 GT3 with 7k miles that I track regularly.

One way to know is we're setting the lash (distance between the cam and finger follower), not hoping that oil pressure and the hydraulic lash adjuster get it right. By decoupling the lash from the oil pressure, we're ensured enough space to get oil in between the cam lobe and the finger follower.

The next is that we will measure the parts going in and on regular intervals there after to verify the lack of wear.

The company making the parts also has world class DLC coating capability and can measure the DLC coating thickness, so the plan was to install the parts, set the lash on all of them, Do dyno runs at various loads and rpms (our dynapack allows us to do this) simulating track usage and street usage.

Take them out and send for measurement.

After that it's continue to use and check, use and check.

This is how we plan to verify and demonstrate the solution works.
Sounds like a reasonable plan and statistics would recommend a larger sample using someone who tracks their car regularly, but drives it irregularly to test the worst care scenario of depleted oil film from time between starts.

Looks like I will be in the Porsche "new retrofit design" test group.

Good luck to us all!
Old 11-11-2016, 10:07 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
Carmen,
Sorry about your issue. Hope you can make Instructors Weekend.
Thanks! I volunteered to be a mentor, so I will be there even if it the car isn't but...I am hoping Porsche of Melbourne can get her back to me by Wednesday. They have been great to work with through this.

Carmen

Last edited by CDinSing; 11-11-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:49 PM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

2017 RSR engine from Evo mag. See second paragraph re valve train.

"Unlike the Ford GT and Ferrari 488, however, the 911 RSR is not turbocharged. Instead it’s powered by new four-litre water-cooled flat-six. The old RSR continued to use the illustrious Mezger engine, but with the 911 Cup and R powered by a more modern unit, Porsche took the decision to have a uniformed engine structure. The new engine also gets the direct injection and with LM-GTE rules designed to allow both turbocharged and atmospheric engines air to the engine is restricted to allow a level playing field. Depending on the size of the restrictor used the RSR’s engine can produce up to 503bhp.

The new flat-six does without any variable valve timing, as low-down drivability isn’t important in a race car, and this also simplifies the valve train improving reliability, necessary for long distance races like Le Mans 24 Hours."
Old 11-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Sent you a PM.
Bronson, replied to you PM. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:24 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

A bit frustrated. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a decision from PAG? They have had documentation on my engine for a week, the car has been in the shop for 28 days and no indication of a solution. PCNA customer care has been worthless. Terrible customer service so far.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:34 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear this, but I told you there's little chance you'll have your car back till 18th.

Engine rebuild effectively equals to approx. 2-3 months. Reasons can be different, but outcome is mostly the same.

So mid-December or later.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:19 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

You were correct and I had hoped you were not. Hoped that Porsche would be more responsive. Local dealership has done everything to make this happen for me.

At this point it is on hold. The parts for the head and cam replacement came in last week. They removed the heads and found cylinder scoring. All stopped and sent pictures and documentation to PAG. Now waiting again.

Missing the last PCA DE event of the year at Sebring as well, doubly pissed.

Carmen
Old 11-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

You were correct and I had hoped you were not. Hoped that Porsche would be more responsive. Local dealership has done everything to make this happen for me.

At this point it is on hold. The parts for the head and cam replacement came in last week. They removed the heads and found cylinder scoring. All stopped and sent pictures and documentation to PAG. Now waiting again.

Carmen
Sorry about the troubles, Carmen. They will make the right call and get you an engine, just will take time.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They removed the heads and found cylinder scoring.
These are actually very good news.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:53 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 603 Posts

Carmen
On the positive side, now you have a solid case for getting the latest and greatest version of the engine with zero miles on it.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

I'd gladly wait on a new updated engine.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:28 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^I agree.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:51 PM
Match-Lave
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will chime in and say they will do the right thing. There is good history on this thread of PAG standing by what I continue to beleive is a fantastic car that is having its bugs worked out. Hang in there Carmen!

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?