Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I'm at 14,000 mikes, 43 track days and about to do my 6k track maintenance next month. The heat slowed me down this year but I'm trying to make up for it in the fall. 😀 I had two injectors replaced but otherwise it has been running fine on 10w40. I think Manifold is even farther along in terms if days. I let the car shift like Joe. Glad that doesn't seem to be linked to the engine issues. This thread still has me scared but I'm not going to worry about it too much and plan to track it as much as possible while it is still in the warranty period.
So you haven't had the miss fire issue with your car? Some reason I thought bf-clt said you had it happen last winter. I guess that's when you had the injectors replaced.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,145 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
I always felt a numbers matching thing was more for American muscle cars and not that big a deal on Porsches. To be honest, I have not seen much info that matches anything official to tie the engine, transmission and vin numbers together. Maybe I am unaware.
If you look at Porsche Certificate of Authenticity (can buy from Atlanta office), it has that info...

EDIT: Sorry for the bad info, Engine Number is no longer included on a COA (just engine model code). It used to be there long ago (like with my 73S).

Last edited by GrantG; 10-11-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
Thanks guys. Really appreciate all the support. I am so glad Porsche came through for me, and without any argument and without me asking for a new engine. I will keep you posted as the repair begins. Mark
Glad to see the NW porsche dealers doing the right thing! My plan is to drive the snot out of mine (just finished 2 days at Oregon Raceway park, probably 7 hours of total track time over 2 days, I'm whooped but the car was flawless!)

Will get the parts for the fix and test them as well, but honestly want Porsche to get this fixed correctly, also starting to investigate the differences with the 991.2 cup heads and oiling system, this could bear fruit for us 991.1 guys as well, wouldn't be the first time motorsports parts fix a street car issue...
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stay on top of it Jamie!! Your RL brethren are very appreciative. Keep us updated when you learn more on the changes. To be honest with you, I am hesitant to do your catted exhaust until I know if I am keeping the .1 My name is on the list for the .2 already, but I still love my current car.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:37 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Stay on top of it Jamie!! Your RL brethren are very appreciative. Keep us updated when you learn more on the changes. To be honest with you, I am hesitant to do your catted exhaust until I know if I am keeping the .1 My name is on the list for the .2 already, but I still love my current car.
If i am not mistaken their headers should work on the .2 as well
Old 10-05-2016, 06:02 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by levd
One of my friends just got infamous "Engine control fault" message on his GT3.

MY15, F engine, 17500 km, some track usage (1500-2000 km on track, AFAIK).
Update: Coils swapped, still misfire in the same cylinder. Rebuild or new engine, up to PAG. One more car is officially "in the club".
Old 10-05-2016, 10:22 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meaker
So you haven't had the miss fire issue with your car? Some reason I thought bf-clt said you had it happen last winter. I guess that's when you had the injectors replaced.
My car went into limp mode on the track but the dealer fix was to replace several injectors. I was skeptical that would address the issue but it has been running fine since then.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:45 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 371 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Either headers will work on the .2 as well! So you're good to get them and move them over or keep them on the 991.1!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:02 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,907 Likes on 982 Posts

Update: Coils swapped, still misfire in the same cylinder. Rebuild or new engine, up to PAG. One more car is officially "in the club".
Consider yourself lucky. I feel bad for the owner's that have engines let go when warranty expires.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:06 PM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by Nizer
Consider yourself lucky. I feel bad for the owner's that have engines let go when warranty expires.
It's not my car. It's my friend, who won luck lottery this time.

Mine already had a rebuild of second engine earlier this summer, so my time to get lucky again is not there yet. I expect my engine to fail again with lucky message about control fault mid-summer of 2017.

2017 will bring a lot of luck of this sort to .1 GT3 and probably RS owners, IMO.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:35 AM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another failure to report on 991 GT3 E engine (one of our club member).
24500 kms, car blocked on stop sale and delivered in DEC 14.
low activity on track.

Car failed on last event in Dubai. Dealer was unable to find the code in the history so they kept the car and luckily they were able to repeat the code after some driving. Misfire.

they opened one side only, one cam is scratched, others are just DLC coat removed at some area.
They have proposed him engine rebuilt for the moment. I advised him to check the opposite side and request for an other engine from factory.

he is waiting the report of the second side before asking the engine replacement. I will let you know the outcome.

Last edited by the-missile; 10-10-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:27 AM
levd
Pro

I actually know the easy fix. It's just a matter of time till they will apply it.

I think at some point they will re-write the code to bring misfire messages only when it's a really really bad series of misfires. Every car will get re-flashed on occasion. Maybe this "upgrade" will even be a complimentary for us, with zero cost.

VAG is very good at software coding, as we've got to know last year.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

They put DLC coating in 2014?
What reason would they have for expecting the other half to look any different?
Old 10-10-2016, 09:39 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
Another failure to report on 991 GT3 E engine (one of our club member).
24500 kms, car blocked on stop sale and delivered in DEC 14.
low activity on track.

Car failed on last event in Dubai. Dealer was unable to find the code in the history so they kept the car and luckily they were able to repeat the code after some driving. Misfire.

they opened one side only, one cam is scratched, others are just DLC coat removed at some area.
They have proposed him engine rebuilt for the moment. I advised him to check the opposite side and request for an other engine from factory.

he is waiting the report of the second side before asking the engine replacement. I will let you know the outcome.
If the dealer says the DLC coat is scratched on a 2014 with an E series that is not a good sign. Doesn't matter if he/she gets a new engine of course.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually know the easy fix. It's just a matter of time till they will apply it.

I think at some point they will re-write the code to bring misfire messages only when it's a really really bad series of misfires. Every car will get re-flashed on occasion. Maybe this "upgrade" will even be a complimentary for us, with zero cost.

VAG is very good at software coding, as we've got to know last year.
Are u suggesting that PAG will trick up the software so as to avoid showing real performance and problems? If they do then they did not learn anything fron VAGs die$$el debacle.

Quick Reply: How many 15-16 gt3's have engine replaced?