Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top center marker on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone was asking about a link to gaffer's tape that happens to be cut the right width:

http://www.findtape.com/JVCC-Mini-Sp...dx=0&tid=0

(no affiliation).
Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Yea, 1/2 gaffer tape works. Everyone on this forum is going to end up with huge amounts of tape for just that little steering wheel piece. We should just have one of us buy one roll, use it, then mail it off to the next guy around the world who needs it, and write a little message on it to the next guy. When they receive it they take a pic and post it here... Watch that roll of tape slowly get smaller as it travels around the world. Cheesy idea I guess but...
Old 02-02-2016, 01:26 PM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
That is a cool idea, should work out great. One question though, how do you knot the end of the thread so it doesn't unravel?
I started the wrap in the Seam and wrapped over it a couple of times to hold it then wrapped across to the other side. I then used a needle to pass the free end back under the wrap and pulled it tight and cut the excess off. Holding nicely so far. No adhesive. No visible seam or knot. Friction is your friend......applicable to so many aspects of life.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
I started the wrap in the Seam and wrapped over it a couple of times to hold it then wrapped across to the other side. I then used a needle to pass the free end back under the wrap and pulled it tight and cut the excess off. Holding nicely so far. No adhesive. No visible seam or knot. Friction is your friend......applicable to so many aspects of life.
Can you show a pic of what you're talking about? I just ordered some gaffer and am curious
Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

I thought this worked pretty well. Stretch it while you are wrapping, 2 turns and leave the seam at the back.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-B...-550/100054213
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's definitely a vinyl, cloth feel to it. Not smooth like masking tape. Picks up dirt, but easy enough to change and I got enough that I can probably use it on my next Porsche if need be .
Well, I ordered some in red, will be here tomorrow so I'll try it out. I'll have 60 yards of 1/2" gaffers tape so plenty for everyone. CAlexio's idea was a good one if slightly impractical...
Old 02-02-2016, 03:44 PM
HoustonGT3
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to a theater/movie store and bought two types of tape: Pro Spike Gaffers tape and a PVC tape. The spike gaffers tape (top in pic) has a cloth texture to it as opposed to the PVC tape (bottom in pic) which is just red electricians tape. I chose the gaffers tape to try on the steering wheel and the results are OK. I think I pulled the tape too tight, but it will work for now.

If anyone wants to try the tape, PM me and I will send it to you as long as you agree to send it to the next guy.

Thanks for all of the input.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:52 PM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yea, 1/2 gaffer tape works. Everyone on this forum is going to end up with huge amounts of tape for just that little steering wheel piece. We should just have one of us buy one roll, use it, then mail it off to the next guy around the world who needs it, and write a little message on it to the next guy. When they receive it they take a pic and post it here... Watch that roll of tape slowly get smaller as it travels around the world. Cheesy idea I guess but...
Love this idea! I HATE buying something like this to only use a tiny bit and have the rest waste away!

Waste not, want not. Or in my case...waste LESS, want LESS (to a degree!!)
Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonGT3
I went to a theater/movie store and bought two types of tape: Pro Spike Gaffers tape and a PVC tape. The spike gaffers tape (top in pic) has a cloth texture to it as opposed to the PVC tape (bottom in pic) which is just red electricians tape. I chose the gaffers tape to try on the steering wheel and the results are OK. I think I pulled the tape too tight, but it will work for now. If anyone wants to try the tape, PM me and I will send it to you as long as you agree to send it to the next guy. Thanks for all of the input.
Yes relax it a little and use at least two layers. Then spend some time flattening it with your fingers. That Oro Soike tape is exactly what I used.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I'm waiting to see what the texture of the tape is like that I ordered. The "cloth" finish of some tapes is probably perfect for an Alcantera wheel. The stuff I ordered looks like it has a smoother finish which I'm hoping will match well with my leather wheel.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I ordered the same thing Mike ordered. I'll bring it to the Spring Smokies event for any of you that might be attending.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I ordered the same thing Mike ordered. I'll bring it to the Spring Smokies event for any of you that might be attending.
I'll try to remember to bring some of the other colors in case anyone wants to try something crazy. You've all managed to do much better than my first attempt!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:32 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Sorry for the delayed response.

1080 Wrap Matte Red

15/32" wide. 4.3" length

Last edited by awew911; 02-02-2016 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Updated photos...
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (10-08-2020)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by awew911
Sorry for the delayed response.

1080 Wrap Matte Red

15/32" wide. 4.3" length
Looks great! The texture goes well with a leather wheel. Where does one buy that wrap? Does it come in that size or did you cut to fit?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:23 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
I really like this idea with the thread. I have the tape, yet to install though. Was wondering what type of thread did you use? Did you just look for the strongest type of sewing thread?

Quick Reply: Top center marker on steering wheel