OT: Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fsts2k
What replica? I used to have a Superformance GT40... ton of fun
Its being built by ERA in CT. The build is slow but the quality is excellent. So far I have the body, chassis and engine done. I'll try to post some photos later.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:09 PM
fsts2k
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Its being built by ERA in CT. The build is slow but the quality is excellent. So far I have the body, chassis and engine done. I'll try to post some photos later.
ERA is great... they make beautiful cars although I didn't realize they were backing making them. Thought they had stopped. Good to hear they are at it!
Old 01-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fsts2k
ERA is great... they make beautiful cars although I didn't realize they were backing making them. Thought they had stopped. Good to hear they are at it!
They aren't making any new GT40s, just completing the previously produced chassis from when they stopped the program. I bought one of the last chassis made and there may be one or two after mine. I suppose its possible they will build additional GT40s in the future.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

August R&T issue has exclusive Ford GT road car instrumented test.

Here are Kim Wolfkill's impressions online: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...g-the-ford-gt/

Figures are quite disappointing given the grandiose claims that Ford execs made when the car was initially launched:

0-10 0.4
0-60 3.2
0-100 6.6
Qtr 11.1 @ 130.0

Appears to have a traction problem despite 325 section MPSC2 rears.

They estimate a curb weight of 3,250 lbs.

I had thought that the testing might have been compromised since Utah Motorsports Park is at altitude, but apparently R&T applies the same correction factors that C&D does, so that should not be the culprit.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 706 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
August R&T issue has exclusive Ford GT road car instrumented test.

Here are Kim Wolfkill's impressions online: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...g-the-ford-gt/

Figures are quite disappointing given the grandiose claims that Ford execs made when the car was initially launched:

0-10 0.4
0-60 3.2
0-100 6.6
Qtr 11.1 @ 130.0

Appears to have a traction problem despite 325 section MPSC2 rears.

They estimate a curb weight of 3,250 lbs.

I had thought that the testing might have been compromised since Utah Motorsports Park is at altitude, but apparently R&T applies the same correction factors that C&D does, so that should not be the culprit.
McLaren 720S:
0-100 5.5
Qtr 10.3 @ ? (but faster)
Curb weight: 2,917 lbs

GT MSRP: $450k
720 MSRP : $288k

Old 06-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
McLaren 720S:
0-100 5.5
Qtr 10.3 @ ? (but faster)
Curb weight: 2,917 lbs

GT MSRP: $450k
720 MSRP : $288k

I've been saying for months that Ford and Multimatic may have trouble selling all 1,000 cars.

The offering is well oversubscribed, but surely many of the purchase applicants cannot come correct with $500K+ to buy this car.

Ford and Multimatic have planned to deliver 250 cars / year through 2020 to move all the cars.

Who is dumb enough to stroke a $500K+ (or more!) check at the end of production to get a car that won a BOP-manipulated race in 2016 and will probably be slower than many sub $200K cars at that point?
Old 06-29-2017, 03:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

I've been saying for months that Ford and Multimatic may have trouble selling all 1,000 cars.

The offering is well oversubscribed, but surely many of the purchase applicants cannot come correct with $500K+ to buy this car.

Ford and Multimatic have planned to deliver 250 cars / year through 2020 to move all the cars.

Who is dumb enough to stroke a $500K+ (or more!) check at the end of production to get a car that won a BOP-manipulated race in 2016 and will probably be slower than many sub $200K cars at that point?
Agreed... there is a lot of hype surrounding this car, but it comes time to plunk the money down.. there are many more compelling options.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:59 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

There was a lot of hype surrounding it - now it's yesterdays news. It could be a case study in how to f**k up a car launch - along with the NSX. Ford has much bigger problems now, so they probably don't care.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:23 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I will tell you, and I am sure that CJ will confirm, the bona fide offers I have received OVER the rumored msrp, will buy several 720s, gt2rs etc. I dont care if the car was 1MM and mini cooper outruns it, I'd still buy it.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:36 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be the unpopular guy and say:

I highly respect the new Ford GT, but I find the interior styling to be uninspiring (and that's critical to me since I spend most of my time with the car inside it), and the performance #'s I'm seeing so far to be unworthy of the hype.

I'm no longer bitter that I got snubbed in the application process. I'm actually glad I can re-allocate the $500k to other cars.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I will tell you, and I am sure that CJ will confirm, the bona fide offers I have received OVER the rumored msrp, will buy several 720s, gt2rs etc. I dont care if the car was 1MM and mini cooper outruns it, I'd still buy it.
I understand there are some guys in your boat, but Ford has managed the hype machine (and moreso, timeline) quite poorly, in my assessment. The car was launced at Detroit 2015 but Ford and Multimatic couldn't get the thing ready for public consumption until essentially 2 years later? And whiffed on key performance figures like the weight? The media-led hype machine for domestic OEMs is currently focused on the Camaro ZL1 1LE, and soon it'll be targeted to the Dodge Demon instrumented testing, and so on.

How can Ford keep this car relevant until 2020? How many guys will decide they want to spend $500K+ (incl. taxes) on a car that is barely any quicker than a Corvette C7 ZO6 in a straight line, especially when there will be a new Corvette, including high performance variants, on the road before Ford GT production ends...

As a counterpart, I know a guy due a car next year who's not sure whether he wants the car (the outlay is a non-issue).

The weight claim made at launch:

When Ford's global performance vehicle chief engineer Jamal Hameedi started to tell us how his team was targeting "the best power-to-weight ratio," we figured the sentence would end with "in its class." Nope. Hameedi instead capped off the claim with "of any car on the market." Ford has yet to reveal the GT's weight, but we're expecting it to be crazy light. As for the engine, Ford promises more than 600 horsepower.
http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...rd-gt-supercar
Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Really surprised by the poor performance numbers. I was pretty bummed I couldn't order a car - maybe it's for the best.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:47 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I understand there are some guys in your boat, but Ford has managed the hype machine (and moreso, timeline) quite poorly, in my assessment. The car was launced at Detroit 2015 but Ford and Multimatic couldn't get the thing ready for public consumption until essentially 2 years later? And whiffed on key performance figures like the weight? The media-led hype machine for domestic OEMs is currently focused on the Camaro ZL1 1LE, and soon it'll be targeted to the Dodge Demon instrumented testing, and so on.

How can Ford keep this car relevant until 2020? How many guys will decide they want to spend $500K+ (incl. taxes) on a car that is barely any quicker than a Corvette C7 ZO6 in a straight line, especially when there will be a new Corvette, including high performance variants, on the road before Ford GT production ends...

As a counterpart, I know a guy due a car next year who's not sure whether he wants the car (the outlay is a non-issue).
I guess it depends on why you're buying the car. I don't really care about the performance figures. It's a cool car to me, its my "birkin".... I don't get in the race of chasing the latest and greatest, so if a car comes along I like, get it and enjoy it, there is always something faster, newer, better one generation away. To that point, I'm adding a 720 too, but if it were an either or situation, then yeah, I might pause a little. However...there is only one (now 2) ford gt's, with the next one a decade or more away?....there will be another mclaren come along.

The GT is fun, the owners groups are fun, the whole GT culture and experience is fun. None of the owners I know look at it as the fastest, lightest, etc....its just a unique car. Everyone I know with one, has lots of other cars in the barn/garage that will outperform it, and never once have I heard anyone complain about the value or statistics. Its just a car, buy what you like and enjoy it.

I hope your buddy backs out so my time will get here quicker!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,657 Likes on 5,110 Posts

The weight claim made at launch:

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook...rd-gt-supercar
Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I guess it depends on why you're buying the car. I don't really care about the performance figures. It's a cool car to me, its my "birkin".... I don't get in the race of chasing the latest and greatest, so if a car comes along I like, get it and enjoy it, there is always something faster, newer, better one generation away. To that point, I'm adding a 720 too, but if it were an either or situation, then yeah, I might pause a little. However...there is only one (now 2) ford gt's, with the next one a decade or more away?....there will be another mclaren come along.

The GT is fun, the owners groups are fun, the whole GT culture and experience is fun. None of the owners I know look at it as the fastest, lightest, etc....its just a unique car. Everyone I know with one, has lots of other cars in the barn/garage that will outperform it, and never once have I heard anyone complain about the value or statistics. Its just a car, buy what you like and enjoy it.

I hope your buddy backs out so my time will get here quicker!
+1

It's the same reason people buy, and lust after, a MT GT3.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:11 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

I look forward to it very much. Will push for a wacky PTS and Some other custom requests...

Quick Reply: OT: Ford GT