Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,790 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Tre
I was thinking about this thread while watching this video the other day but forgot to post. I know it's about a different marque, but the essence of the video is very fitting for the nostalgia and desires of why people are describing their 911R desires the way they are.
Cool video. Always liked the 308 GT4 and remember when nobody wanted them and they could be bought in the $20's.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
There it is! Will be hard to improve on that.
Agreed. The apparently insurmountable hurdle is size. As long as it's based on 991 body it will never fit what many of us are after.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,036 Likes on 2,299 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
...i think with the recent gt4 sales phenomenon, pag management is more convinced than ever that simpler/lighter/purer driving cars have a viable niche market worldwide among enthusiasts... within the confines of their parts bin and modern regs they will try to deliver more of them

but of course try as they might (even in the shadow of the VW debacle) to do so, their niche vehicles will not/can not harken back to uber-restored relics like singer/accumoto etc etc etc... those cars are from a different era
I agree, but think that there's usually a tradeoff between performance potential vs. engaging road feel. When the chassis, suspension, tires, etc. are designed to make a car highly stable and capable, seems that takes something away from making cars fun on the road, makes a lot of cars 'too good' for the road. And I presume that the 991R is intended for the road, since we already have the GT3 for the track. 991R seems like a watered down GT3, and I don't know if that's the solution. But our GT4 will be arriving any day now, and maybe it'll make me rethink this.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
...and the ticks of time and phases of change march relentlessly on...it's just how it is

...i think with the recent gt4 sales phenomenon, pag management is more convinced than ever that simpler/lighter/purer driving cars have a viable niche market worldwide among enthusiasts... within the confines of their parts bin and modern regs they will try to deliver more of them

but of course try as they might (even in the shadow of the VW debacle) to do so, their niche vehicles will not/can not harken back to the degree of distilled 911 essence that uber-restored relics like singer/accumoto do etc etc etc... those cars are from a different era that was long long ago
Accumoto if you can afford it.
Cheaper than the Singer, not as advanced but same driving fun and beauty.
Maybe a bit more usable due to no CF body on track.

http://jalopnik.com/this-shop-in-wis...26q%3DAccumoto
Old 11-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I agree, but think that there's usually a tradeoff between performance potential vs. engaging road feel. When the chassis, suspension, tires, etc. are designed to make a car highly stable and capable, seems that takes something away from making cars fun on the road, makes a lot of cars 'too good' for the road. And I presume that the 991R is intended for the road, since we already have the GT3 for the track. 991R seems like a watered down GT3, and I don't know if that's the solution. But our GT4 will be arriving any day now, and maybe it'll make me rethink this.
Agree. The road feel and thrill of driving is lacking in 991 911s. Several times over the past year, I went to dealerships looking to buy a 991 911 convertible to replace my current 997 C2S cabriolet which is my DD.
After 3-4 different test drives, including a 991 GTS, I just kept noticing that I enjoyed the drive home in my 997 much more than I enjoyed driving the newer 991s, which feel too big, steering is numb, road feel and low speed sense of occasion is gone.

The only real sports cars in the 991 lineup are the GT3 and the RS. The 991 911 isn't a sports car, just a nice luxury car, and the 991.2 looks to be even more than way.

I'm not planning on purchasing a new non-GT 911 ever again. My 991 GT3 thankfully does feel like a real sports car and I enjoy her on long trips and at the track. For a daily however, I may just drive my 997 until the wheels fall off.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ AMG GTS like SaminTX
Old 11-08-2015, 01:41 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
^^ AMG GTS like SaminTX
dunno,

A big, long, heavy, double clutch, turbo car is kinda the opposite of a smaller, lightweight, nimble, manual, NA sports car.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-08-2015 at 01:41 PM. Reason: .
Old 11-08-2015, 02:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drifting
dunno,

A big, long, heavy, double clutch, turbo car is kinda the opposite of a smaller, lightweight, nimble, manual, NA sports car.
Meant to say that if you would be willing to go that route buy it from the appropriate brand.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Meant to say that if you would be willing to go that route buy it from the appropriate brand.
ah, I see your point
Old 11-08-2015, 03:05 PM
sparkyglenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting thoughts Drifting.

I wonder if PAG is tiring to take the 911 from a sports car to a Grand Touring car. Try to hit new markets in Asia or elsewhere.

The GT division then becomes the place to buy the more classic sports car and PAG makes another $$$ in extra profit.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Are we talking manual transmissions or automatics??? I'm assuming manuals right.. What column mounted manual transmission can you name?
Please refer to the section on shifter placement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

My dad had a few. Maybe my clearest recollection were some dodge cars circa 50s.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:27 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,970 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
Please refer to the section on shifter placement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

My dad had a few. Maybe my clearest recollection were some dodge cars circa 50s.
wow.. i had never seen anything like this!!!! i learned something totally new.. thought those column shifters on american cars were all automatics, PRNDL's... very cool.

well, this is the one I was referring to.. only non-floor mounted manual I had ever seen.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 79 Posts

wow.. i had never seen anything like this!!!! i learned something totally new.. thought those column shifters on american cars were all automatics, PRNDL's... very cool.

well, this is the one I was referring to.. only non-floor mounted manual I had ever seen.
Well I'm dating myself here but they were on a lot of cars and pick up trucks. Pretty easy to shift as well... Can't row though

Last edited by Nacelle; 11-08-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:06 PM
sparkyglenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 on the tree Bronco

Old 11-08-2015, 07:28 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viens faire un tour en Renault 4 - YouTube
I can think of another

I must say I love the idea of this r . At one point they even considered a single seat option
Old 11-08-2015, 08:08 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
At one point they even considered a single seat option
Very interesting! I take it you heard this through your vip 918 contacts? Any other info you can share?

Quick Reply: OT:911R