Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS buyers: Is your dealer making you sign a "right of first refusal buyback at MSRP"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:56 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts
Default RS buyers: Is your dealer making you sign a "right of first refusal buyback at MSRP"?

Just want to see what others have been told...

I'm selling my GT3 privately and the dealer now says, "FYI, you have to sign a right of first refusal buyback at MSRP" if you sell your RS. No time frame given. I am getting car at MSRP.

Anyways, I have no intention of selling my voodoo blue RS for a profit and I am grateful at getting it at MSRP. What have others been told?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 PM
w00zie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's sounds like B.S.

My friend just sold his GT4,,,,dealer told him the same thing after he listed it

After calling PCNA, they told him there was no issue selling it, and he was even able to transfer warranty from Canada to US
Old 10-03-2015, 04:14 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There may be state laws that apply differently for all of us, but I find it hard to believe they can legally do this. Like selling houses, automobile sales are regulated by the state. If they want to be jerks, then lets get the dealers name out there on RL. And maybe you just have it titled in your wife's name first, have her sign that BS agreement, then transfer title to your name.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:17 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,004 Likes on 376 Posts

Curious what they would do if you refuse; give your car to someone else?
Old 10-03-2015, 04:25 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They want to corner the market on flipping the cars. lol
Old 10-03-2015, 04:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

How could they even enforce it? Such silliness.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:36 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

I had to sign a document I wouldn't ship my car out of the country for one year. Stupid but I didn't really care. Could be the same thing.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:40 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Just want to see what others have been told...

I'm selling my GT3 privately and the dealer now says, "FYI, you have to sign a right of first refusal buyback at MSRP" if you sell your RS. No time frame given. I am getting car at MSRP.

Anyways, I have no intention of selling my voodoo blue RS for a profit and I am grateful at getting it at MSRP. What have others been told?

Thanks.
It's dealer specific....although the first I have heard from Porsche store.

You're a good customer so I would throw a ****fit. It's debatable on how enforceable it would be even if you signed it but I wouldn't lock into that or if you did limit the timeframe...to a year or 2. This would protect against quick flippers anyways. Don't want to be in legal battle in future just in case they go to moon further.

Last edited by sccchiii; 10-06-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

You guys are all looking at this the wrong way.

I think what they are doing is GREAT. A step in the right direction! Exactly what they should be doing to prevent these cars going to "opportunists" instead of enthusiasts.

Kudos to whoever this Porsche dealer is! Bravo!

I encourage every dealer to sell at MSRP with such a contract.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:41 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I had to sign a document I wouldn't ship my car out of the country for one year. Stupid but I didn't really care. Could be the same thing.
Not the same. This is to keep people from profiting on the high price markets overseas and is an attempt to keep the car in the US. OP's issue is more of a greedy dealer wanting the profit on a marked up resale.

Tell them you'll sign it if the time limit is a week
Old 10-03-2015, 04:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944

I think what they are doing is GREAT. A step in the right direction! Exactly what they should be doing to prevent these cars going to "opportunists" instead of enthusiasts.

+1
Old 10-03-2015, 04:44 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

FYI, this dealer has always taken care of me and I have bought several cars from them
. I am not angry. I just found this interesting since it was only brought up when I sold my GT3 privately.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:45 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
There may be state laws that apply differently for all of us, but I find it hard to believe they can legally do this. Like selling houses, automobile sales are regulated by the state. If they want to be jerks, then lets get the dealers name out there on RL. And maybe you just have it titled in your wife's name first, have her sign that BS agreement, then transfer title to your name.
Yes, I would never allow this to be "effective", not that I would plan to flip the car - but the dealer can pound sand. This is america, I can do what I want.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:46 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was asked to do the same thing, basically sign a contract. I refused because I don't like to be tied up since the future is unknown. I am not looking for a profit so trading it in in at MSRP was fine by me (doubt I'll keep it more than 2 years, if that), so I have a hand shake agreement with the GM to that effect. We also agreed that I keep any extra profit beyond $100K over MSRP
Old 10-03-2015, 04:47 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944

I encourage every dealer to sell at MSRP with such a contract.
I'm an enthusiast. I have no plans on selling my voodoo blue RS. I just wanna drive the car!

Quick Reply: RS buyers: Is your dealer making you sign a "right of first refusal buyback at MSRP"?