Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS buyers: Is your dealer making you sign a "right of first refusal buyback at MSRP"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:48 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Once again nothing wrong with trying to protect against flippers.....especially if good dealer selling at msrp but there must be a short timeframe attached to it if signed.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:55 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Once again nothing wrong with trying to protect against flippers.....especially if good dealer selling at msrp but there must be a short timeframe attached to it if signed.
Agree. Park Place Porsche is my dealer and I believe they are a great dealer.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:16 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

As long as there is a time limit to the contract, I would not have an issue. I think one year is reasonable. I agree with you that Park Place is a great dealer.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if it was the other way around, would the dealer agree to a lifetime trade in at MSRP?
Old 10-03-2015, 06:19 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Originally Posted by bronson7
I wonder if it was the other way around, would the dealer agree to a lifetime trade in at MSRP?
Out of curiosity, I asked him what would be in the contract, limitations wise and he mentioned things like mileage per year, 1-2 years max, no accidents, etc. He seemed positive they will maintain prices way over MSRP for a while but I'm not so sure, especially if during that time frame the market finds out (likely) that the 991.2 RS will also be NA, making it the more likely contender for the last of the breed.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Only if the contract is time bound and it states they cannot sell themselves or trade for more than msrp. Should work both ways.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:28 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I'm an enthusiast. I have no plans on selling my voodoo blue RS. I just wanna drive the car!

Sure...that's your story and you are sticking to it right? Next you will post...."Well I meant it when I said it". lol

Just messin with you dude ... I won't hold you to what you said.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

No request with my dealer - already had a conversation with him if he thinks I should sell the car or keep it given where the market is and based on what he knows is coming next. Told me to wait until next year for some news...
Old 10-03-2015, 10:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,788 Likes on 5,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
You guys are all looking at this the wrong way.

I think what they are doing is GREAT. A step in the right direction! Exactly what they should be doing to prevent these cars going to "opportunists" instead of enthusiasts.

Kudos to whoever this Porsche dealer is! Bravo!

I encourage every dealer to sell at MSRP with such a contract.
Actually, it just means that the car is going to another "opportunist" -- the dealer.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:12 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Any dealer that throws money into the lap of a customer, just to be a "good guy", is an idiot. A right of first refusal / buyback contract is an excellent means of ensuring enthusiasts get a car at a reasonable price without the dealer being said idiot. I'm all for it... kudos to Park Place.

That said, if I managed to get one at MSRP w/o restriction... I would sell it in a heartbeat for as much as I could get.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:40 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree with the dealer. They could easily sell their allocation at way above MSRP, and by getting this "right of first refusal", they ensure that they don't foolishly sell the car to the wrong person.

I think it is reasonable, for a period of a year or so. And yes, I would certainly sign it if buying a limited production car at MSRP , of course unless my plan was to simply resell it for a nice profit, in which case the contract becomes an issue.

If the dealer is selling these cars at MSRP, it means that they operate with a good level of integrity.

I will sign it if asked.

Rich
Old 10-04-2015, 12:53 AM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if you signed it, it wouldn't hold up in court if you sold the car. However if they are selling to you at MSRP you must have good relationship & that would probably go out the window on future cars. If you ask me, I would sign & honor as the relationship is worth more down the road than the profit you might make in the short run.

Just my $0.02
Old 10-04-2015, 02:02 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I"d rather sign a contract like that than give my dealer $100K over msrp. Good to have a two way relationship with a straightforward dealer.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,708 Likes on 2,342 Posts

i would sigh it. and my price would be 10x msrp.
they have the right to refuse.
i dont think the contract is of any use.
you ultimately decide who and how much to sell.
no worries.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

contract should state split the profit at resale then it would seem fair, but if they buy back at MSRP and the heap current market value they could still reap the $100k.

Certainly needs a time out clause and I would get a lawyer to look at the contract 'just because'.

This way of doing business is poor (MSRP + a heap more profit by the dealer) Porsche should control the margins and bonus's for good sales and customer service not a poor dealer writing a cheque 'just because' and probably stuffing customer relations in the process. Porsche and its dealers are doing well enough with out this shae practice... Porsche should stop it period.

Quick Reply: RS buyers: Is your dealer making you sign a "right of first refusal buyback at MSRP"?