Sponsored by:

991RS Review thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,458 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I knew that was going to strike a cord with RS owners. I am confident for the money they spent they do not want to be told or even hinted at that the non-RS may be just as good and fast around the track as the RS.
I see your point but I was not trying to stir up any thing. I would think the RS will be slightly faster because of the increased down force and its wider track. Porsche is not going to let the GT3 beat the RS on the track with equal driver skills. But- the price also gets you exclusivity because why the heck are these cars being sold for $100,000 over sticker.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I spoke with some one over the weekend who drove the 991 GT3RS back to back several times on the same day with the GT3. This was on the track. He said that the RS did not feel quicker at all on the straights and felt it was to do the huge-*** wing. He felt the GT3 sounded better in the 8000 + rpm level. He did not like the inside noises from the RS. Says the fly wheel or some thing like that did not sound good. But- the car was superior over the GT3 in the turns because you could enter later with more speed and exit, as well. - Just one person's opinion I thought I would share and he has no bias to either car. Probably nothing surprising here.
I agree and many of the sales guys I spoke with who were with me on the trip all had the same opinion. The RS is harder to drive fast than the standard GT3 but it rewards a better driver in corners and overall lap times without question. Both are awesome cars and I would be thrilled with either one in my garage....
Old 09-30-2015, 09:32 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, its not straightline drag strip racing speed that excites me about the RS. I am surprised to hear that there is no difference in acceleration since it does have the 4.0, and is lighter (slightly). But I get that the aero stuff is part of the issue. What I am hopeful of, is that it is just a more special experience. More special to look at, sounds more special from inside and outside the car, drives more special/more hot rod, handles more special, etc. If it has all that, doesn't matter to me that its not faster than a gt3 (regular) in a straight line.

Some reviews would seem to suggest that all of the above, the specialness, is there. I hope that they are right, because the price premium is significant (ignoring the potential to hold value/depreciate less than the regular gt3)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

The good DNA is 99.5 % GT3 what were you expecting?

Last edited by fxz; 09-30-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Any GT3s isn't the correct choice for straight line speed. The reality is if you're close to the limit in the RS vs the GT3 you'll be faster through the corners, earlier on the throttle and the max speed on the straight will be higher. You'll also be braking later at the end of the straight due to the increased mechanical grip.

All the time difference is in the corners and I would still expect you to hit a higher vmax on the straight in the RS.

Not saying that I'm in love with the RS as it hasn't arrived - but I much prefer more down force and cornering speed vs straight line speed. Reason I preferred my Cayman vs my GT3 on the track.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Good morning,

As a current 991 GT3RS owner, I absolutely agree with the point of view and analysis of mrsullivan.

As an occasional track driver, I can say the GT3RS is a LOT of car for me (still on break in period). For play, I am still on the hunt for a GT4 which would suit my skill set better, plus it won't hurt me as bad if I accidentally "kiss" the wall. A huge "Day and Night" difference driving this 991 GT3RS compared to AMG cars that I have experienced.

To sum it up, owning a GT3RS is undeniably "Special."

Drive safe,
GT3RS1-Fan1

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
For me, its not straightline drag strip racing speed that excites me about the RS. I am surprised to hear that there is no difference in acceleration since it does have the 4.0, and is lighter (slightly). But I get that the aero stuff is part of the issue. What I am hopeful of, is that it is just a more special experience. More special to look at, sounds more special from inside and outside the car, drives more special/more hot rod, handles more special, etc. If it has all that, doesn't matter to me that its not faster than a gt3 (regular) in a straight line.

Some reviews would seem to suggest that all of the above, the specialness, is there. I hope that they are right, because the price premium is significant (ignoring the potential to hold value/depreciate less than the regular gt3)
Old 10-02-2015, 05:45 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Swedish Motorjournalen

In short:
Overall well balanced, fun, involving, congrats to those who will get one.
He says something strange: There will be 530 cars built. Probably just a misunderstanding (by him).

Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

From Car Magazine Nov 2015: Thanks Signes!)

The reckoning

8) Corvette Z06 - Extraordinary engine, fine chassis, scary tyres. Bargain in the US; £112,910 here…
7) Lotus Evora 400 - Dreamy steering but the details will keep you awake at night
6) AMG GTS - Too well-rounded to win, but AMG’s Gran Turismo is a fine sports car
5) Lamborghini Aventador SV - Best Lamborghini ever? Believe. A £315k, 740bhp triumph of evolution
4) Porsche Cayman GT4 - The runaway winner if you factor in price. No wonder its biggest issue is availability
3) McLaren 675LT - A cut-price P1, and as focused and rewarding as the 650S is versatile
2) Ferrari 488 GTB - Breathtaking agility and speed, delivered apparently without effort
1) Porsche 911 GT3 RS - Special like a race car; practical like a (two-seat) 911. Best driver’s Porsche yet

And the winner is... By Gavin Green

We all like the car that must come last – this is one of those tests. The Corvette’s NASCAR V8 growl is bewitching, its punch of torque intoxicating, and the Z06 copes with narrow, undulating, pitted and gravel-peppered Welsh B-roads, surely the polar opposite of the wide, smooth blacktops for which it was bred. Had the Corvette engineers even heard of a Welsh secondary? Unlikely.

In the end, it’s just not sharp and precise enough for a British B-road, not when it’s facing opposition of this calibre. Those near-slick Michelins didn’t help, though they certainly boosted the entertainment factor.

Conversely, the Lotus is designed for these roads. The Evora has the best steering here, a sublime chassis, and copes with the dips and turns of a UK secondary as easily as a swift deals with a thermal stream. The Evora flows over these roads, never fighting. The downside is the V6 engine, void of the throttle sensitivity that the rest of the car deserves. Plus, that homespun style is a problem, especially in a car costing more than the Cayman.

Winging 'ell. Enough height on these spoilers to bolt on to a touring car

The AMG boasts the widest capability: surprisingly nimble over the moors, relaxed on the motorway. The twin-turbo engine is fabulous, the gearshift less so. I like sitting behind that long bonnet, hefty horsepower up front, but ultimately it just can’t compete for entertainment on the twisty stuff, not up against the best from Porsche and Ferrari.

The Lamborghini SV – the traditional supercar of this bunch – won us over with its character, and surprised us with its composure. We love its V12. We love its agility, which defies its two metre-plus girth. In some key areas though – gearshift, seats – it can’t compete. Plus the terrible visibility and video-game instrumentation undoubtedly diminish driving pleasure.

So our top three, from bronze to gold, runs McLaren 675LT, Ferrari 488 GTB, Porsche 911 GT3 RS. If value for money were a factor (it wasn’t), the fourth-placed Cayman would win. How could it fail, when it costs half as much as a GT3 and one-fifth of an Aventador? We all love it. But its rival Porsche, the GT3 RS, is faster, sharper, more dramatic to drive, has more definition to its steering and better modulation to its braking.

The Ferrari is awesome, of course. The new turbocharged engine has slightly dulled the throttle sharpness of the old 458 and, more important, the linearity of the torque delivery. The flipside is that the turbo-inflating torque makes it easier to drive briskly, the power always on tap. It is a less frenzied sports car than the 911, more supple, less hardcore, not so immersive; majestically entertaining but somehow less engaging.

Ultimately, though, it doesn’t thrill or reward quite like the GT3 RS, our winner. The Porsche is a track car boasting surprisingly civilised road manners. The throttle response and barely credible 8800rpm redline are both sensational, the gearshift crackerjack instant. It is, very possibly, the best driver’s car Porsche has ever made.

And the 675LT? It may have won, were it not for its DNF – ‘a powertrain issue on a pre-production press car, and the result of damage sustained on a previous activity’ according to McLaren. To drive this driver-focused evolution of the 650S is to be smitten. The LT is more nimble than the GT3 RS, faster and enjoys better steering, though its engine is less sweet, if ultimately more forceful at high revs. The McLaren also boasts the finest driving position here. The only consolation is that there is always a next time.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

I don't know if they made it up from a bunch or interweb (Rennlist) posts but from my POV and only having driven the RS it reads correct.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:54 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Yea I agree as well! On a more polished note, a supercup driver and former GP3 pilot drove my car and agreed. Incredibly similar to cup car and chassis feel is best of all road cars he knows today. Lapping at Spa he said flatout at Eau Rouge is no problem..........for him not me!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

FLATOUT Eau Rouge is hard to believe.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:13 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
FLATOUT Eau Rouge is hard to believe.
If you had ridden in my car with him driving you wouldn't say that, guy is legit. He instructs with RSR at Spa and was sick fast. I am not even thinking about it, but with the Aero on the RS and a legit pro driver I do think it is possible
Old 10-15-2015, 08:25 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
If you had ridden in my car with him driving you wouldn't say that, guy is legit. He instructs with RSR at Spa and was sick fast. I am not even thinking about it, but with the Aero on the RS and a legit pro driver I do think it is possible
A dream of mine is to be a passenger with a pro driver on a famous track. I think Eau Rouge would satisfy me.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:09 AM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-16-2015, 04:11 AM
Superman32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said Porsche plan to make 2000-2500 rs

Quick Reply: 991RS Review thread