Sponsored by:

My initial thoughts on GT3 vs 458 Speciale

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
So, I just took delivery of my Speciale last week and took it straight to Mid Ohio Friday, then the new combined track at Pitt Race Saturday and Sunday.

Here are my thoughts...

First, my opinions are almost all based on track performance. I hardly ever street drove my last 458, don't plan on street'ing this Speciale and never street drove my GT3 (except a few times to and from Sebring Int'l to a local gas station to avoid paying $10 a gallon for 93 octane??). Although, I did take the Speciale up and down the block a couple of times.
Very interesting read on your experiences comparing the GT3 and the Speciale on the track. The one thing that struck me was if you don't plan any street driving for the cars, why have them at all ? It seems to me you would be much better served having a GT3 cup and a 458 Challenge if you wanted a Ferrari. All those issues with brakes, grip, power would go away, no ?
Old 08-11-2015, 03:11 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
All those issues with brakes, grip, power would go away, no ?
Yup, but they get replaced with support, transport, and resale issues.

Re: video, suspect the margin would've been even wider had Tiff left the nannies on.

Last edited by Nizer; 08-11-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

As others have said, great write-ups comparing the two cars. I find it interesting that so many GT3 owners also own Ferraris (or vice versa!). I think the seed of the idea of getting a 911 to complement my other cars came out of a conversation I had last year at Quail with a Ferrari owner awaiting delivery of his GT3. I ended up with a 991TT because although a GT3 is usable as a DD, the turbo I think is better at that, and I didn't really need another weekend-focused car. I think it would be cool to have a GT3, though.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Yup, but they get replaced with support, transport, and resale issues.
Yes indeed. Ferrari support for gentleman drivers in their race cars is not as good as Porsche. Transporting is a pain, and 458 of any type that's been tracked more than a couple times loses six figures of value.

In this class of cars nothing beats a Porsche GT3/RS for regular track work. The car is reliable all day long on the track with great support from Porsche and the Porsche community.

It's funny how the other elite brands like Ferrari, Mclaren, Lamborghini, etc will flout how fast their car can drive around a track (one time). But they leave out the part about how well their cars do with repetitive all day track events, and the support needed for such things.

This is why I plan to pair my GT3 with a 458 Spider in a couple years. The Ferrari will be used as weekend, sunny day, evening or special event, etc car, but not a track car, as the GT3 is much better for that purpose.

Last edited by Drifting; 08-11-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-11-2015, 05:11 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Drifting
This is why I plan to pair my GT3 with a 458 Spider in a couple years. The Ferrari will be used as weekend, sunny day, evening or special event, etc car, but not a track car, as the GT3 is much better for that purpose.
Agree the GT3 is better for more tracking. I have not tracked my 458 yet, but will. I think the 458 will be more fun on the track, cuz.....it's a Ferrari...knife edge handling/throttle reposnse, mid engine balance and a sound Porsche can never approach. I don't care about resale as there is no V8 NA option for Ferrari after the 458. I'm keeping my 458 until I'm six feet under.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree the GT3 is better for more tracking. I have not tracked my 458 yet, but will. I think the 458 will be more fun on the track, cuz.....it's a Ferrari...knife edge handling/throttle reposnse, mid engine balance and a sound Porsche can never approach. I don't care about resale as there is no V8 NA option for Ferrari after the 458. I'm keeping my 458 until I'm six feet under.
Rockitman. You probably said that about your 996 GT3 too?

Its difficult being a Ferrari owner around here to try and not be one eyed. I find it fascinating when folks like esqt8 and others here that own both Speciale & GT3 give us their feedback. The 458 is a great car but where I live they were twice the new price of a GT3 and no one seriously uses them on the race track here in new Zealand. Most owners are cafe racers. The Speciale remains a dream car for me but even if i was offered an opportunity to acquire one at GT3 money Id hesitate. They have a bad rap here (image wise) are a real headache anywhere you go and the owners community is no where as tight knit as this one locally or globally IMO. But fantastic machine. Definitely something to compliment a Porsche of some description (DD) in the dram garage..
Old 08-11-2015, 07:07 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
Rockitman. You probably said that about your 996 GT3 too?

Its difficult being a Ferrari owner around here to try and not be one eyed. I find it fascinating when folks like esqt8 and others here that own both Speciale & GT3 give us their feedback. The 458 is a great car but where I live they were twice the new price of a GT3 and no one seriously uses them on the race track here in new Zealand. Most owners are cafe racers. The Speciale remains a dream car for me but even if i was offered an opportunity to acquire one at GT3 money Id hesitate. They have a bad rap here (image wise) are a real headache anywhere you go and the owners community is no where as tight knit as this one locally or globally IMO. But fantastic machine. Definitely something to compliment a Porsche of some description (DD) in the dram garage..
I know the GT3 is the better all around track car. That doesn't mean the Ferrari can't be more fun for the occasional tracker....like me..not to serious about being the fastest on a track day. Don't remind me of my 996.3...I now regret trading it. That could of been my dedicated track car. It was certainly rawer than the 991... Closer to the feeling I get in the 458. It's all good !
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoy reading all the comparisons with the 458's vs GT3's. An Fcar is only a dream for me but I'm extremely proud to say my 3 can hold it's own.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 PM
gt2urbo
Pro

ive tracked both. but i wont get into it. And why have either if you're tracking them almost exclusively. Get a cup already XD
Old 08-12-2015, 05:17 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interesting read on your experiences comparing the GT3 and the Speciale on the track. The one thing that struck me was if you don't plan any street driving for the cars, why have them at all ? It seems to me you would be much better served having a GT3 cup and a 458 Challenge if you wanted a Ferrari. All those issues with brakes, grip, power would go away, no ?
Yeah, great question.

So, the reason why I don't go Cup or Challenge is previous experience.

In short, I wasn't always so hyper passionate about track driving. Came from 4 different iterations of Nissan GT-R's, with the last one ('14, bought in '13) turned into a 1000 HP, Switzer Performance Club Sport. It was one heck of an experience R&D'ing w/ Tym Switzer (who, btw is about one of the greatest and passionate car guys living). Going a million miles an hour down the quarter mile stretch vs. road racing on a track are two VERY different animals. I can't tell you how many times I'd get towed in from breaking down, plugging the computer in, downloading data, re-firing up, back on track, get towed back in, re-fire up, …

When I heard of this new pdk, GT3 in the works I leveraged every relationship I had to get it because I was done w/ the breaking down and wanted a BONE STOCK, straight out of the box car with a full WARRANTY that any dealer in the country could fix.

Was first in our state of Ohio (not as cool as New Zealand, Macca but we have Lebron James ) to take delivery. Had it shipped down to Sebring, FL sight unseen. First day on track, I broke down and in limp mode due to cam sensors. Drover her 120 miles in limp mode to nearest Porsche dealer in Sarasota. Tech went in their parking lot, pulled a part from a customer's car (knew he could replace it before they would know) and got me back on the road by next day's session.

Like I've stated, between cam sensors, thermostats, engine replacement, transmission replacement, etc… each and every time it's been covered.

I'm not sure a Cup or Challenge are that easily repairable? Then, coupled with the fact that there's something comforting and absolutely cool about a production street car that can kick the "everlovingcrap" out of virtually any other car, does what this GT3 does is really unbelievable.

At the end of the day, for me (given my experience coming from my GT-R where nothing was off limits. When we were done, only the block and chassis was GT-R) my parameter is a car that is unmolested (outside a few safety measures, i.e., belts & harness, seats, etc) and in its production state. Anyone can do anything to a car. A manufacturer that produces THEIR iteration of their purpose off the production line and then puts a warranty behind it is in my book the bottom line.

Sorry for the long chant, but in close other cars come and go, challenge and fall (can we say, Z06). Nothing thus far comes close, let alone beats this GT3.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:01 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Yes indeed. Ferrari support for gentleman drivers in their race cars is not as good as Porsche. Transporting is a pain, and 458 of any type that's been tracked more than a couple times loses six figures of value.

In this class of cars nothing beats a Porsche GT3/RS for regular track work. The car is reliable all day long on the track with great support from Porsche and the Porsche community.

It's funny how the other elite brands like Ferrari, Mclaren, Lamborghini, etc will flout how fast their car can drive around a track (one time). But they leave out the part about how well their cars do with repetitive all day track events, and the support needed for such things.

Good point... I wonder why Ferrari sends a support team with each Official Factory car review? Need to have those ECU gas and air mixture's optimized to the conditions the car is driving in. While Porsche will just throw the reviewer's of their cars the keys and say "Bring her back in one piece"!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:30 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2urbo
ive tracked both. but i wont get into it. And why have either if you're tracking them almost exclusively. Get a cup already XD
Agreed. In addition to the two cars discussed, I've been fortunate to own a '15 F12 and can tell you that the torque and power in the f12 will throw your head back to levels you don't come close to experiencing in either the speciale and certainly not the GT3.

As far as inspiring confidence, the GT3 and Speciale are big time in that category. They make you feel like such a better driver than you really are. This is in sharp contrast to the F12 where you really have to know what you are doing to push the car anywhere close to its limits. With traction and stability control fully engaged, you can lose the back end very easily.

I find the seats in the speciale to be incredibly comfortable, and I have a feeling earlier comments were a result of a non-stock leather racing seat or something. The comments about the creature comforts (i.e. stereo in the speciale- and all ferraris for that matter) is spot on. It is as though they hired a team to figure out how you can make the radio sound as crappy as possible. Hard to even believe it until you hear it!

In summary though, the fact that we are even comparing a 150K car to a 400K car tells you just how special the gt3 is.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:38 AM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500+ miles in a 458 and I never found a need to turn the radio on. I still don't know how much it sucks. :-)
Old 08-18-2015, 03:54 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
500+ miles in a 458 and I never found a need to turn the radio on. I still don't know how much it sucks. :-)

Same for me in my 3

Quick Reply: My initial thoughts on GT3 vs 458 Speciale