Sponsored by:

My initial thoughts on GT3 vs 458 Speciale

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:44 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My initial thoughts on GT3 vs 458 Speciale

Last week I took delivery of my new GT3 and a 458 Speciale. I've now had the opportunity to drive both cars a bit, and accumulated some thoughts and opinions on each. Wanted to share.

I suppose it goes without saying that both are incredible. But what needs to be said is that each is incredible in different ways, and at doing different things.

Any "comparison" needs to be tempered by the fact that, in my personal opinion, each of these cars really feels like it has been designed with different goals in mind.

The Porsche just feels so rock solid. Probably my favorite thing about it overall is the PDK. It's mind blowingly quick and seamless. In his attempt to describe how good it is, a recent passenger of mine said, "The only thing I can compare it to is a video game. Shifts are so instant and smooth that it almost gives you the sensation that you're playing a video game."

The other thing I LOVE about the Porsche are the brakes. Especially in comparison to the Ferrari. More on that later.

To me, the GT3 is the best all-rounder. It's comfy and driveable as a more "normal" car. But when you want to get a little crazy, it's ALL there! It is so easy to drive hard and fast that it almost makes things TOO EASY, if that makes any sense. No drama, very little effort. Just tell the car what you want to do, and it does it. I've driven some winding country roads at 100+ mph, effortlessly. These same roads required me to PUSH my 2005 C2S to get anywhere over 70 mph. In the GT3, I often seem to look at my speedometer and say to myself, "NO WAY!" It feels so effortless that it doesn't even seem possible that I could be going this fast.

Now to the Speciale. I spent about an hour in it yesterday. My back still hurts. Most likely due to the racing seats. But it also is a firmer ride, at least on our crappy roads around here. I'm actually already wondering how I'm going to drive this thing much around here, as constant back pain is not an option for me. That's the unfortunate truth, at least for me.

Another problem I'm having with the Speciale is with the brakes. They are very "grippy." There is not a linear relationship between brake pressure and the amount of stopping power delivered by the car. Once you get beyond a certain point, these brakes go all-in. They pull you in to "hard braking" at times when that is NOT what you want. I thought maybe it would change once I got some heat into them. But they do the same regardless of whether they're hot or cold. So stops, especially in city driving, tend to be herky-jerky. Maybe this will change once they get some wear on them. We'll see.

After these two obvious criticisms of the Speciale, now let me give it a huge compliment. This car is so fast and powerful that it's hard to believe it could be street legal. Seriously. I gave someone a ride yesterday who has driven many powerful race cars over the years. His response after I accelerated 0 to 130 mph: "I can't believe it is legal to put this race car on the road. The way this thing puts the power down is way better than most race cars I've driven."

Sorry to say it, but I do have additional issues with driving the Speciale. The sound system sucks. Not that this is a huge issue, but it's the truth and an observation that is easy to make. Again, especially compared to the Porsche. The GT3's is better. And then there are all the cars in traffic that see you up ahead, and begin racing to catch you, and then stick their phones out the window to take photos of you while you're driving. It gets REALLY annoying and sometimes makes you feel unsafe. Like one of those idiots is going to run into you sooner or later. Granted, this happened a few times in the GT3 as well. But not at the frequency or intensity of the Ferrari. It's almost non-stop.

Depending on the road, and what you're trying to do, the Speciale does actually have more issues with grip than the GT3. There's just so much friggin power. It will get squirrelly on you if you're not constantly on the alert about what you're doing. When it does, the e-nannies and e-diff do a fantastic job of dialing it in. BUT, it happens more often than I thought it would. I'm sure this will improve to some degree once our roads get cleaned up from some nice spring rains, and I'm able to drive in some HOT weather with heat in the pavement.

The other thing about the double clutch in the Ferrari is that the way in which it shifts literally makes the car PUNCH you in the back when you shift at anything beyond 50% throttle. It hits each gear really hard. Even upper gears. For a while, this is entertaining. But then it gets on my nerves a bit. I find myself wishing there was a way that I could make it shift as smoothly as the GT3. I can't. I tried all settings. I don't know if it's because the Speciale has so much torque that it hits each gear this hard. Or if Ferrari specifically dials in this effect for "drama." Because it is dramatic.

If I had to sum each car in one word. Porsche: Precision. Speciale: BRUTAL.

I think I have used the word "precise" to describe every Porsche I've ever driven. But this GT3 just takes it to a superlative level.

If it's drama that you seek, the Speciale is it. It's so over the top, especially in it's acceleration. And the sounds it makes while it's doing it. And the way it delivers it. A brutal, raw, uncensored display of racing prowess and sexy Italian looks and sounds. Just starting the engine probably doubles the testosterone level in any man's body!

If it's less dramatic, precise execution that you seek, the GT3 is it. The car just executes on anything and everything you tell it to do. It's almost like it reads your mind. Now that I think about it, the "video game" description isn't too far off. I'm certainly not the best driver around. But it makes me feel like I am. It's rock solid and confidence inspiring. Throw in the better comfort, better sound system, and less gawkers, and I can already tell you that I'll be driving the GT3 more than the Speciale.

BUT, for those occasions when I want to get out and become more emotionally involved with a brutal beast, the Speciale will get exercised. Now that I know what I know, I can tell you that it will likely be early Sunday mornings, on a quiet country road that is known to be smooth. No gawkers, less bumps to cause back pain. And probably a short duration drive. With no radio turned on.

I think both cars are VERY good at doing what they are designed to do, and being what they are intended to be. But make no mistake about it, (again, in my opinion) they are designed to be very different creatures. I've never driven any car that comes close to doing what each of these cars accomplishes in their unique, respective sets of design goals.

That's it. I'm sure as the miles accumulate in each, my opinions and thoughts will change and evolve based on the experiences I have. But these fundamental, initial thoughts are unlikely to change to any large degree.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had your problems! Great write up.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 210 Posts

I've owned a 458, not a Speciale, but I agree with everything you've said.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome review
Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I have yet to drive a special but the problems you talk about don't exist in my 458. GT3 is a great 911.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

eilig, that was a great write up. Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:00 PM
SHAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us up to date as you own them longer. Nice write up!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 PM
vf430
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Great review. The only thing I wish my gt3 had was that feedback on shifts which my scud and looks like 458s has. To me it's too soft below 8 k rpm upshifts. I miss that "thud" Scuderia has at pretty much any rpm. It's funny you actually mentioned it gets boring after a while , I actually enjoyed that particular feature for 10 k miles in my scud. As you say gt3 has the most technically brilliant double clutch.

Last edited by vf430; 04-01-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:08 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks, really appreciate your thoughts--fantastic post! These cars distill the essence of their respective makers' philosophies. To play up the stereotype, stoic Teutonic calculation vs exuberant Latin machismo. Enjoy the best of both insanely mind-blowing worlds!!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 PM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 437 Likes on 197 Posts

Great write up., This week I had the opportunity to trade my 2014 Italia in for a Speciale Build. Your concerns/criticisms were EXACTLY what I was worried about, especially since the "upgrade"would have cost me about 100K. I drive mostly around town on weekends with the 458 with maybe 2 track days/year (The standard Italia is great, comfortable, decent not outstanding audio ((with the HiFI upgrade)). Something was holding me back and I declined the build yesterday...If I actually get my RS allocation (not likely from the sounds of it) Ill be glad I saved my $....
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Really enjoyed reading your review.

Thanks very much for taking the time.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very good, unbiased review from real owner.
thank you for sharing your thoughts.
so, the gt3 is your wife,
and the speciale is your off-the-hook hooker with the meter running? lol
Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
very good, unbiased review from real owner.
thank you for sharing your thoughts.
so, the gt3 is your wife,
and the speciale is your off-the-hook hooker with the meter running? lol
PRECISELY!!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Thanks for the review. I've owned three Porsches but have lusted after a Ferrari for years, but I just can't find enough of a reason to get one while Porsche makes cars like the 991 GT3.

Please update us on your thoughts in a few weeks.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:44 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Great write up. Back in 1973 (I was 16) my father had a 911T and a friend/colleague owned a 246 Dino. He let my father and I take it for a drive and I recall my father saying the Dino was a real work out compared to his 911. I thought the 911 was amazing but the Dino was pure sex. I think the Dino was twice the price of the 911T or close to that.

Quick Reply: My initial thoughts on GT3 vs 458 Speciale