Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have any of you been offered a late MY2015 allocation gt3 in PTS 'Fashion Grey'?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 01:13 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Why doesn't Porsche use the three tiered colour approach? First tier is basic white, black, yellow and red at no additional charge. Second tier is all the metallic colours at an additional charge and third tier is "exclusive" at a more significant additional charge featuring a more exotic/historical colour palette. You should be able to spec any of them in your configurator and have the order sent in by your dealer immediately without any problem or delay. No muss, no fuss.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:27 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Why doesn't Porsche use the three tiered colour approach? First tier is basic white, black, yellow and red at no additional charge. Second tier is all the metallic colours at an additional charge and third tier is "exclusive" at a more significant additional charge featuring a more exotic/historical colour palette. You should be able to spec any of them in your configurator and have the order sent in by your dealer immediately without any problem or delay. No muss, no fuss.
Who knows, your wish may be granted, depending on how the "new and improved" PTS program works. There have been rumours that PTS will be available at all times (instead of a window of time) and if you simply pick from the list of approved colours (and if Porsche pre-tests a number of previously popular colours from day one of any generation of cars) you could more or less be guaranteed to get what you requested--at the third tier, PTS price point. Now wouldn't that be nice!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 04:04 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ
One other major point on the PTS debacle not yet discussed...

PCNA flooding the market with PTS cars will diminish the $5500 investment those of us who have PTS cars/allocations were looking forward to. All of a sudden the exclusivity of a PTS GT3 is gone. I feel some compensation is in order here...
Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Who knows, your wish may be granted, depending on how the "new and improved" PTS program works. There have been rumours that PTS will be available at all times (instead of a window of time) and if you simply pick from the list of approved colours (and if Porsche pre-tests a number of previously popular colours from day one of any generation of cars) you could more or less be guaranteed to get what you requested--at the third tier, PTS price point. Now wouldn't that be nice!!!
then how is that special.
we can't be bitchin about it anymore.
i think PAG created their own problem.
no one will ever be happy again.........., seriously
Old 03-22-2015, 05:46 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by mooty
then how is that special.
we can't be bitchin about it anymore.
i think PAG created their own problem.
no one will ever be happy again.........., seriously
I agree. You're right, this would be a lot less special than what PTS currently offers. I guess what it boils down to for me is some people might prefer a much expanded list of standard colours (if it included quite a few of the usual popular PTS colours), over a true paint to sample program that would be limited in availability, take a long time to get approval, and risk you losing the car altogether (like the current program).
Old 03-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

On one hand, I feel this is a situation Porsche got itself into by trying to maintain its boutique manufacturer image while also pumping out 200k cars per year. They can't have it both ways.

On the other hand, the PTS program has always been available, and its recent popularity is a fad that I don't think Porsche could predict.

But how big is the problem, really? If we are talking about a dozen pissed off Rennlisters, while I agree it sucks, does that necessitate a system revamp? Maybe they just need to reconsider the standard color palette? Personally I do not like any of the available colors - even the current shades of silver and grey, which are hard to get wrong - and I expect I am not alone.

The solution proposed by DES GTS seems like the obvious one, while making PTS another tier above at a very exclusive price (say $10-15k), the result effectively reducing demand for PTS.

I would also suggest they stop being so stubbornly rigid on brake caliper color to allow customers another area of individuality. Offer a half dozen colors regardless of brake spec. With 20s and 21s becoming standard now, brakes are more visible than ever - red calipers have been played out for a long time, and yellow doesn't go with much, not even the standard yellow paint offering.

Looking forward to understanding how and why a bunch of Fashion Grey and Arena Red (are we embracing th 90s already?!) cars are showing up...
Old 03-22-2015, 09:26 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with the earlier post. that they should go with this system.

1- basic colors no charge ... White, red, yellow, black
2- metallics $3500.. silver, grey, blue, etc
3 - special colors $7k... mexico blue, signal green, speed yellow, etc

I would keep it simple, these may not be the exact colors or numbers but you get the point. A small up charge for metallic colors, but a bigger jump for special colors. Keeps it more exclusive, those that really want will pay. But have a set pallete for each model. Maybe 10 special colors or something like that. That's it. No more pts. But also no more BS.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:54 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^No more BS is the ticket. If we on RL can fix the system why the hell can't PAG get it right. If their target is getting to 200,000 cars/yr, wouldn't you think PAG would rather please more potential owner's than **** off current ones that may jump ship. Anyways that's my .02
Old 03-22-2015, 11:38 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

In think the PTS demand is relatively small and the forums magnify the interest. Porsche has the means to satisfy the PTS demand with little strain but they choose not to, I believe, for secondary reasons as Eduardo has discussed previously. This last run of arbitrary PTS GT3s actually confirms that the program is not customer driven.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:31 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
Show me where porsche makes a promise of exclusivity with PTS? Compensation? Give me a break. Wtf is the deal with people these days?
So who said anything about any promise?
Were talking facts here. The PTS window for GT3's was closed, then open for a few, then closed again. Many on this board were denied PTS..no more, not available, you would lose your allocation if you pushed for a PTS window that most likely not happen. To me, if you were able to get PTS, that made it the car more exclusive, the facts made that clear.
In fact I believe PCNA said no more PTS GT3's after this last window closed. Now it appears that PCNA changed their mind. That's their prerogative but that doesn't mean I have to be good with that nor make it fair for those who made decisions based on facts.
So there are 2 sides here. Having PTS for the color which is fine. And those who looked beyond just the color and saw an opportunity to have an even more exclusive option that most would not have. Not to mention the 7 months more I had to wait to get the PTS.........
Old 03-22-2015, 01:47 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by GJ
So who said anything about any promise?
Were talking facts here. The PTS window for GT3's was closed, then open for a few, then closed again. Many on this board were denied PTS..no more, not available, you would lose your allocation if you pushed for a PTS window that most likely not happen. To me, if you were able to get PTS, that made it the car more exclusive, the facts made that clear. So there are 2 sides here. Having PTS for the color which is fine. And those who looked beyond just the color and saw an opportunity to have an even more exclusive option that most would not have. Not to mention the 7 months more I had to wait to get the PTS.........
I feel your pain, GJ. This was not handled particularly well.

Does anyone know what proportion of past GT3s were painted PTS? Even with the additional 30 cars, it's probably still a small percentage this go around.

FWIW, it was pointed out to me the fact that dealers are asking $40K over and may well get it, means that my car and yours may now be worth $40K more too! Bright side!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, I'll admit that I also initially felt a little taken aback that Porsche would make so many copies of what I thought would be a unique car (at least based on the exterior colour). I told myself that while I loved the PTS program and was all for enthusiastic individuals ordering PTS cars however they dreamed up (even if it were the same as mine), there was something quite different about Porsche deciding to "flood the market" (I had thought similar words) with arbitrary selections. (Full disclosure, in case it wasn't obvious, I have a GT3 in fashion grey. I joke that I stole Conekilr's (ex)colour, but in truth had been considering a few similar non-metallic greys including modegrau before being made aware of his order.) I felt bad also for others who had ordered Signal green, or for JCBH who had the creative spark to put "Kills Bugs Fast" on his sill, and now were seeing their ideas "plagiarized" (if I can call it that, considering these are all just repeated from past cars or poster slogans).

However, the more I thought about it, the less I felt that way (at least about my own situation--I won't speak for anyone else). When anonymous918 mentioned he'd be getting a fashion grey GT3, I was ecstatic for him, and for the fact someone else appreciated the same colour too! I then began to see it as a bit of a compliment that Porsche would make cars using this colour. Almost like a wink wink, nudge nudge, we like it too and think others would want one just like it! In fact, if these cars increase the interest in these particular colours, by making them a little more visible to the public and Porsche fans, then perhaps this could end up even increasing their historic and perhaps monetary value (for anyone interested in their cars as investments), versus having a little known, poorly understood platypus of a car (no offence to platypuses) with a funny name (like "fashion grey") for a colour!

I guess if I have any reservations about the whole affair, it's that loyal, willing customers were passed over when the decision was made to produce these cars, and they were not also given the opportunity to order a car. Especially if it was in one of these colours, and especially if it turns out to be true that the PTS colour could have been modified to another colour. There is no real good reason why a few extra cars couldn't have been tacked on to the run to reopen the PTS window for these customers.

So, in the end I don't feel the need for compensation for myself (just like as a Cat C customer I didn't feel that compensation was required), but perhaps an apology and option to make things right for the customers who missed out on PTS is in order.
Daniel, I too would have been disappointed if this had happened to me. If there is any consolation, you will have the only Modegrau GT3 in Canada .

The bigger disappointment is for the people who had requested PTS and was denied only to have these 30 cars magically appear. I would be pissed !!

I look forward to reading what Eduardo and others have been able to piece together as it relates to this fiasco.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Fellow Rennlisters:

I have posted Chapter 1 of "The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!" in a new thread I just started on this forum. Here is the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...grey-gt3s.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Daniel, I too would have been disappointed if this had happened to me. If there is any consolation, you will have the only Modegrau GT3 in Canada .

The bigger disappointment is for the people who had requested PTS and was denied only to have these 30 cars magically appear. I would be pissed !!

I look forward to reading what Eduardo and others have been able to piece together as it relates to this fiasco.

Thanks for the sympathetic words.
IMO, the Canadian and US markets are really one for all intents and purposes. Anyhoo, I'm over it. But I am curious to see how quickly the 10 sell. I wouldn't have picked this for one of the three most interesting or popular colours, even though I love it...
Old 03-22-2015, 08:50 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the sympathetic words.
IMO, the Canadian and US markets are really one for all intents and purposes. Anyhoo, I'm over it. But I am curious to see how quickly the 10 sell. I wouldn't have picked this for one of the three most interesting or popular colours, even though I love it...

Certainly makes me wonder who/how they chose these 3 colours.

Quick Reply: Have any of you been offered a late MY2015 allocation gt3 in PTS 'Fashion Grey'?