Track precision app wifi q

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:10 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
I

The only way I have found to download the video with the overlay is on a Mac computer using Quicktime -- connect your iPhone to the computer, under File select "New Movie Recording" and then click on the little downward arrow next the record button, select iPhone as video source and iPhone microphone as the audio source. On your phone, select the lap or laps you want to record, start recording on Quicktime and then start the playback on the phone.

How is the quality of the exported video and overlay? does the optical image stabilization of the iPhone 6s cause shakes and noises? i.e., iPhone camera lens is mobile.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:37 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
i have been using the app on both an iPhone 5s and now 6s and the app will record the sessions and i can review after the session but i find as i continue to use the app during the day i "lose" sessions already recorded. using imazing i can search the iPhone file system and find the raw video but they do not appear in the app with the overlay. after a full day ay NJMP on oct 30th i find only one lap shown in the app but i can find the videos for all the runs that day. has anybody else seen this, have a fix?
I have had the same problem -- sessions just disappear. I assumed that I was doing something to cause that to happen -- I have 25 GB or more on my phone, so that is not the problem.

I also ran the phone's battery down to 20% and it cut off the session, recorded the data but deleted the video -- that makes no sense, the video is already recorded, why not keep it? I could see if under low battery it stopped recording and kept everything that had already been recorded, but to delete the entire video makes no sense.

Let's hope updates will address some of these problems as I generally like the app for its "ease of use."
Old 11-10-2015, 08:40 PM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by 9972RS
How is the quality of the exported video and overlay? does the optical image stabilization of the iPhone 6s cause shakes and noises? i.e., iPhone camera lens is mobile.
Quality of the video is OK, slightly better than the SmartyCAM AIM unit. You need a good mount like the RAM mount I use on both AIM setups and the iPhone.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
I have had the same problem -- sessions just disappear. I assumed that I was doing something to cause that to happen -- I have 25 GB or more on my phone, so that is not the problem.

I also ran the phone's battery down to 20% and it cut off the session, recorded the data but deleted the video -- that makes no sense, the video is already recorded, why not keep it? I could see if under low battery it stopped recording and kept everything that had already been recorded, but to delete the entire video makes no sense.

Let's hope updates will address some of these problems as I generally like the app for its "ease of use."
thanks for the reply, now at least i know i am not missing something. i have plenty of available memory too, use in airplane mode etc. if it worked the app would be ok, although i see the overlay freeze for a few seconds here and there.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:48 PM
NMM991
Racer

Here a good link on downloading videos with overlays -

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-a-how-to.html
Old 11-10-2015, 08:56 PM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by tgibrit
thanks for the reply, now at least i know i am not missing something. i have plenty of available memory too, use in airplane mode etc. if it worked the app would be ok, although i see the overlay freeze for a few seconds here and there.
It's freezes and then jumps every time it completes a lap for me - annoying, and then you cannot see you previous lap time on the video.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

are you guys using an external gps? i.e., racelogic sport?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

After much experimentation with the Track Precision app, external GPS, etc. at 3 different tracks, and much frustration with bad connections / randomly missing laps or videos / etc., I have officially given up on using the Porsche app and have gone back to Harry's Lap Timer.

With the XGPS160 external 10 Hz GPS, the speed / position updates are super smooth in Harry's Lap Timer and no more complaints...

Only downside is the lack of the gas / brake pedal overlays on the video. I may experiment with a bluetooth OBD dongle just to see how that performs, but I don't have high hopes for the synchronization.

If only the Track Precision app was reliable... it had such promise with all the data it has available...
Old 11-10-2015, 09:42 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

^ so, only 1 european user (nur93) has gotten this to work? I'm going to remove this option if it's not reliable.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:38 AM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone use Track Addict on Android phone...?
Its free or with premium features....also can pair with OBD via a Bluetooth Dongle...
I wonder is sport chrono/track app will be a waste of money for me...
Old 11-11-2015, 09:39 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

With the latest new track app software update I am also loosing recorded sessions. As soon as I click the "check" mark to save a session, it deletes it.

On the rare occasion that it saves a file, as soon as I try to "analyze" a run, the app deletes the file.

So the question is: who do we tell?
Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 AM
NMM991
Racer

My dealer has been zero help -- I have asked repeatedly for help over the last month, asked for a number a PCNA and gotten nothing. And this is from a dealer organization that is normally excellent on follow up. My only guess is that no one in the Porsche organization in this country knows anything about it and that Germany is not supporting them. I suspect that this software is deeply flawed and no one wants to admit it. Hopefully thee will be some updates that begin to address these problems.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:33 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I was starting to think I was the only one that finds the app unreliable, buggy, and cruddy. Whew! Lol

I don't bother with it anymore.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that you have to buy an external GPS antenna in order to get accurate times? They can be almost 2 seconds off a transponder or aim solo without one
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

Has anyone tried calling PCNA?
Old 11-11-2015, 06:44 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by sasportas
Has anyone tried calling PCNA?
The problem is reproducing the issue for them... I can only hope somebody developing the app is actually using it occasionally.

Quick Reply: Track precision app wifi q