991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track precision app wifi q

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 04:12 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 437 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
Searched on this and even called the dealer, maybe someone can help me

It says to connect with password of

GTx and the VIN. So I am having issues. Is it all caps except for the x, is the x actually a 3. Is it WP zero or WP "O". (Pretty sure it's a zero)

Any other hints?
x and 0 (zero)
disable the cell internet connection before
Old 03-01-2015, 04:35 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie1
The app is supposed to do that... you don't need to manually trigger after every lap if you are using the phone app, it is supposed to do it automatically just like Harry's or RaceChrono. Only if you use the Sport Chrono / PCM (as in: You are not using the app at all) you have to manually trigger laps. (The above statement is just based on what I read/heard so far since in my test the app completely failed to work at all as described above)
We are in the same boat. See my issues described above as well.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:54 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Time to lemon law your car if Porsche can't get the track app working properly after 3 repair attempts. Maybe then they'll fix it.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So I tried out the track app again this evening and tried to get it to work. Well it did this time around because I had to trigger it with the stalk. Two things that really bothered me is that 1. You have to trigger it every lap with the stalk 2. When reviewing the video, there is such delay in the controls, it glitches all the time. The positive is that there is a lot of information, and you can review every lap and it has video with overlay for that lap. Anyone who used Harry's will find that part better in this track app.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

VBox for me
Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Well it did this time around because I had to trigger it with the stalk. Two things that really bothered me is that 1. You have to trigger it every lap with the stalk
Seriously? I thought the big advantage of the phone app compared to just using the plain Sport Chrono with the PCM is that you don't have to trigger it each lap but it would be triggered by GPS (similar to what Harry's laptimer, etc do). That's super disappointing ...
Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer GM thought the app was cool and surprised I didn't spec it for the RS. I told him you couldn't export the vid with performance criteria overlayed. Was I correct in my explanation ?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
My dealer GM thought the app was cool and surprised I didn't spec it for the RS. I told him you couldn't export the vid with performance criteria overlayed. Was I correct in my explanation ?
You are correct
Old 03-06-2015, 07:30 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
You are correct
Seems like that could be a doable fix for the current software platform...no ?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rockitman
Seems like that could be a doable fix for the current software platform...no ?
They will eventually come out with a fix to export. I think the instability issues will never be fixable given that they aren't working with dedicated hardware
Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the instability issues will never be fixable given that they aren't working with dedicated hardware
I think it's a shame that a dozen track telemetry apps that have to deal with a variety of hardware on the phone as well as the car side are working better and more stable than the Porsche one which has the advantage that it only has to deal with uncertainty on the phone side of things...
Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

They will eventually come out with a fix to export. I think the instability issues will never be fixable given that they aren't working with dedicated hardware
That's a poor excuse... at least making it work on iPhone should be doable (small set of hardware to test against, and all GT3s should be identical hardware wise for the app).
Old 03-06-2015, 09:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
That's a poor excuse... at least making it work on iPhone should be doable (small set of hardware to test against, and all GT3s should be identical hardware wise for the app).
Yeah, but HLT is quirky too. There is no such thing as an app that works reliably for this kind of thing. The wireless connection plays into it too. Porsche should have just programmed the PCM to do everything. Chevy's system looks so much better.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

HLT is a poor example as that app is buggy as heck and has no hardware it must interact with to work. No excuse for the iPhone 6 version of HLT to not work flawlessly other than poor resources and / or poor programming...

If it was my product the thing would work flawlessly or I wouldn't release it, period.

Yeah, but HLT is quirky too. There is no such thing as an app that works reliably for this kind of thing. The wireless connection plays into it too. Porsche should have just programmed the PCM to do everything. Chevy's system looks so much better.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
HLT is a poor example as that app is buggy as heck and has no hardware it must interact with to work. No excuse for the iPhone 6 version of HLT to not work flawlessly other than poor resources and / or poor programming... If it was my product the thing would work flawlessly or I wouldn't release it, period.
Well, certain conspiracy theorists (me) are pretty sure that Porsche commissioned Harry to build their app.

Quick Reply: Track precision app wifi q