Sponsored by:

Track precision app wifi q

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 629 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Well, certain conspiracy theorists (me) are pretty sure that Porsche commissioned Harry to build their app.
That's the problem there, then!

Porsche wouldn't have done that if they had used HLT for a while first. Needs a re-write.

Last edited by Mech33; 03-07-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Had a lot of problems trying to keep a stable connection with the app and the car. Just did the latest app update and also the control unit firmware update. Problems solved, works perfect now with a stable connection. Overall once you get it working it's a helpful tool. If Porsche update it so you can export the video and overlay it will be excellent.

Here's some pics of the analysis pages that are available:

Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

That view with understeer/oversteer was really cool.

But did you really have understeer several 100 meters?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Slip
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobalt
That view with understeer/oversteer was really cool.

But did you really have understeer several 100 meters?
No, the screen captures were prior to the new software updates, when I was getting constant connection dropouts. I think the total recording for those captures was less than 1 min in total and the long understeer was during a connection dropout.

Looking forward to getting some new data with a stable connection and updated firmware.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:53 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 542 Posts

Having delivered so many cars in the cold months has probably slowed PAG's beta testing.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:48 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

We just want what PDR Chevy has or Racelogic / VBox offers through OBD (You know the one that car manufacturers R&D uses, it has all the data anyone could ever want.), next time I get the new HD version:
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2015, 06:24 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slip
No, the screen captures were prior to the new software updates, when I was getting constant connection dropouts. I think the total recording for those captures was less than 1 min in total and the long understeer was during a connection dropout.

Looking forward to getting some new data with a stable connection and updated firmware.
So you think the app is worth it ? Can you export driving vid to your computer with performance spec overlay ?
Old 03-07-2015, 07:34 PM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you export driving vid to your computer with performance spec overlay ?
No, right now you can't. Doesn't mean they can't add that functionality in the future with an app update but right now you can't export it with the overlay.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:32 PM
super90ish
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DucatiSPS
and one more step in the puzzle.

all the files are stored in iOS under iTunes, then go to Apps when your phone is plugged in, then scroll way down to App Data, click on the Precision app and you will see the files.

here's the catch so far, if you run the .MOV file, it doesn't do the overlay. looking at the Circuit Tools app from Vbox to see if I can combine the data.

On the phone if you watch the video it is cool,the overlays are fantastic.

eventually I'll puzzle this all out and publish an FAQ that is not written by some German guy without the least bit of computer knowledge...
I am not sure who is aware, but you can use Apple's AirPlay Mirroring (over your home wifi network onto your television screen) to play the video with overlay on your flatscreen if you have Apple TV.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:40 PM
super90ish
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rookie1
Assuming you are on one of the tracks that comes with the app you don't have to trigger anything in theory. Ignore that you have that trigger/stalk on the wheel... it has nothing to do with the app at all. The stalk only triggers the Sports Chrono clock and PCM display it has nothing to do with the app at all... it is not connected in any way (unfortunately).

The app does the lap triggering just by GPS and the prerecorded track layout in the app. The only time you are supposed to trigger anything in the app is when you are on a track that is not known by the app... in that case you have to "record" the track layout and for that you have to mark the start/finish once I think.

I still hope they can improve it with software updates. At least they can update the control unit in the car through the phone/app as well... so I hope that once all the new GT4 owners complain they'll push an update that fixes the stability issues
I wonder if those of us with a satellite wart on our roof will have better gps reception and therefore better app functionality
Old 03-07-2015, 09:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

All sounds good in theory but I see no videos on YouTube.
Hell I can't even get Harry's to work.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 AM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the WI-FI in the car?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have the very expensive option. I've added tracks (TWS and HMSR) by using the maps options. Then edit the map and add start/finish marker and any other turn markers. When you cross the Start/Finish the app will AUTOMACTICALLY start recording - NO STALK tripping needed. Now for the overlays... You CANNOT export with the data overlays - total crap - do you hear that Porsche. Now everyone on this forum needs to go to their respective App Store - Apple or Google - RATE the app and put your comments on it. Maybe then Porsche will get the message!!! I've done that, but not enough comments to have a rating... come on guys!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:00 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine working after a lot of effort - the documentation is pretty poor. If you use an iPhone; I recommend that you go to Airplane Mode to turn off cellular (text messages & calls interfere) and then activate the wifi network to the MYPorsche WLAN. Every time you go out, make sure that you are connected to your car's WLAN and not another network operating at the track, and that you are using your car's GPS and not the phones.

Download the track "via Map" option under Add Tracks. Add stop/start line with the "Edit" command -- this line will trigger each lap using the car's GPS if there is no lap trigger at the track. Not sure exacting how accurate it is, but it is more accurate with the car's GPS than the phone's GPS. You never use the stalk in the car.

The only way I have found to download the video with the overlay is on a Mac computer using Quicktime -- connect your iPhone to the computer, under File select "New Movie Recording" and then click on the little downward arrow next the record button, select iPhone as video source and iPhone microphone as the audio source. On your phone, select the lap or laps you want to record, start recording on Quicktime and then start the playback on the phone.

You can record the video as well and the Analysis screen shown above by controlling the image through the phone -- not easy or clean, but you can edit you video later. I have also downloaded .vbo files the Circuit Tools but no video that way.

My AIM and SmartyCAM is much better but takes more time to setup. The Porsche app is very quick in that you just need to mount the phone to your windshield. I prefer the AIM solution.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:07 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 148 Posts

i have been using the app on both an iPhone 5s and now 6s and the app will record the sessions and i can review after the session but i find as i continue to use the app during the day i "lose" sessions already recorded. using imazing i can search the iPhone file system and find the raw video but they do not appear in the app with the overlay. after a full day ay NJMP on oct 30th i find only one lap shown in the app but i can find the videos for all the runs that day. has anybody else seen this, have a fix?

Quick Reply: Track precision app wifi q