Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track precision app wifi q

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 PM
gmike911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Ortho Joe: Did you trigger it with the stalk on the first lap & then the phone app handled each lap automatically?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:59 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gmike911
I got it to work. The video quality was very good (using iPhone 6+) and the playback on the phone was great. Exported under every format offered and could not get the video to play. Loaded the app on my iPad, opened the file, and the video wouldn't run on it either. Has anyone figured out how to transfer the video to any other device?
You have to go under files in tunes and you will see the MP4 video file from your phone. Here's the kicker, no overlay, and from every attempt I have made there is no way to get that overlay short of taking a video of your phone during playback.

Complete waste of $1800.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:00 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gmike911
For Ortho Joe: Did you trigger it with the stalk on the first lap & then the phone app handled each lap automatically?
The stalk/PCM/car and the app work independently of each other. There is no crosstalk at all. Very stupid design
Old 02-28-2015, 10:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

Tragic

Ask for them and to delete it and refund your money.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 98 Posts

Do they not test these things before putting them in production? So many shortcomings why bother offering it?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,661 Likes on 772 Posts

$1800 margin on a $2.99 app.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
$1800 margin on a $2.99 app.
That about sums it up. Lol!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Tried to use it on Laguna Seca on my Android phone this week and was a complete fail...

The connection via Wifi to the car works fine, it also found my external GPS receiver (though I also tried to use the vehicle GPS) but it would 4 out of 5 times not realize I'm actually near the track. Although I had Laguna Seca selected from the list of tracks it always said "Please select track". Only at one session it actually realized that I'm near the track and proceeded... I selected "Start" while waiting in the grid and it showed me the laptimer. But it didn't record anything.
I don't even want video (I use my GoPros for that) but I just wanted the data ... but just didn't recorded anything. Also crashed a couple of times.

I really hope they fix this with some updates, otherwise complete waste of money...
Old 03-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
With the dash display, yes. With the app on your phone, no
Dr. Joe, so essentially, trigger it the first lap then you can leave it cycle with the app?

I tried it with out the app and yes you have to trigger after every lap. I tried it with the app, I pressed start and nothing happened (didn't trigger the stalk, didn't know I had to). Couldn't get it to work so I gave up and used Harry's Lap Timer.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Dr. Joe, so essentially, trigger it the first lap then you can leave it cycle with the app? I tried it with out the app and yes you have to trigger after every lap. I tried it with the app, I pressed start and nothing happened (didn't trigger the stalk, didn't know I had to). Couldn't get it to work so I gave up and used Harry's Lap Timer.
That's the way it's supposed to work, but in reality it doesn't work... Very unreliable as others besides me have attested.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:05 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rookie1
Tried to use it on Laguna Seca on my Android phone this week and was a complete fail... The connection via Wifi to the car works fine, it also found my external GPS receiver (though I also tried to use the vehicle GPS) but it would 4 out of 5 times not realize I'm actually near the track. Although I had Laguna Seca selected from the list of tracks it always said "Please select track". Only at one session it actually realized that I'm near the track and proceeded... I selected "Start" while waiting in the grid and it showed me the laptimer. But it didn't record anything. I don't even want video (I use my GoPros for that) but I just wanted the data ... but just didn't recorded anything. Also crashed a couple of times. I really hope they fix this with some updates, otherwise complete waste of money...
Yup. Total garbage. I won't use it anymore. I've got a very expensive red clock though!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:11 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I won't be specing sports chrono in my RS. Sales for that option are going to plummet to zero unless Porsche gets in front of this debacle and fixes all the shortcomings of this app.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:32 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Dr. Joe, so essentially, trigger it the first lap then you can leave it cycle with the app?
Assuming you are on one of the tracks that comes with the app you don't have to trigger anything in theory. Ignore that you have that trigger/stalk on the wheel... it has nothing to do with the app at all. The stalk only triggers the Sports Chrono clock and PCM display it has nothing to do with the app at all... it is not connected in any way (unfortunately).

The app does the lap triggering just by GPS and the prerecorded track layout in the app. The only time you are supposed to trigger anything in the app is when you are on a track that is not known by the app... in that case you have to "record" the track layout and for that you have to mark the start/finish once I think.

Yup. Total garbage. I won't use it anymore.
I still hope they can improve it with software updates. At least they can update the control unit in the car through the phone/app as well... so I hope that once all the new GT4 owners complain they'll push an update that fixes the stability issues
Old 03-01-2015, 03:02 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know why they just can't update the app to trigger it's self after every lap just like Harry's is beyond me. Thanks for the response fellas.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:06 AM
rookie1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I don't know why they just can't update the app to trigger it's self after every lap just like Harry's is beyond me.
The app is supposed to do that... you don't need to manually trigger after every lap if you are using the phone app, it is supposed to do it automatically just like Harry's or RaceChrono. Only if you use the Sport Chrono / PCM (as in: You are not using the app at all) you have to manually trigger laps.

(The above statement is just based on what I read/heard so far since in my test the app completely failed to work at all as described above)

Quick Reply: Track precision app wifi q