Sponsored by:

1st time CL change

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by needspeed
Thought I share my experience with my first CL change. I followed the instructions from Mike and Jeff to perform CL change this weekend on my 991 Turbo S. This is the first time the wheels are removed in 12k miles of back mountain road driving. Initially, I couldn't get the Precision Instruments breaker bar to budge the CL nut. I had to buy a 5' long and 1" diameter galvanized steel pipe from Home Depot to place over the Precision Instruments ratchet head to break the CL nut. The Porsche manual noted large torque is required to break the nut if the wheel have not be removed in a long time. I guess 12k and 1 year is a long time.

The rest of the remove and install went as described by Mike and Jeff and pretty smoothly. I was able to use the Precision Instruments breaker bar on the torque, break, re-torque install step.
Thanks for that follow-up needspeed. Did the conical face of the CL screws have less grease on them than you expected? I had no problems removing the wheels with the 40" bar, and I don't think the fronts had been removed since the car was new so it was almost 12 months, but I had less than half the miles on my car that you had.

I wonder if it makes sense to loosen, check, and re-torque everything a couple of times a year to help avoid any problems with removal. Or, like you did, just buy a bigger bar....
Old 02-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I think the periodic loosen/lube/check/re-torque mode would be the better choice. A 5 ft. long pipe added to the 40" PI breaker bar is going to put a large load on the ratchet mechanism in the wrench. With an 18" overlap of the pipe/bar and a 200 lb force applied you'd generate 1300 ft./lb. on the ratchet. Joe would have to start eating a lot of ice cream to hit that number.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:08 PM
needspeed
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Thanks for that follow-up needspeed. Did the conical face of the CL screws have less grease on them than you expected? I had no problems removing the wheels with the 40" bar, and I don't think the fronts had been removed since the car was new so it was almost 12 months, but I had less than half the miles on my car that you had.

I wonder if it makes sense to loosen, check, and re-torque everything a couple of times a year to help avoid any problems with removal. Or, like you did, just buy a bigger bar....
Conical portion of the CL nut and wheel socket looks properly lubricated. It's possible my detailer over torqued the wheels, but unlikely since he used the same torque wrench as I do.

There are some potential problems I spotted on the nipples that guide the wheels I'll share when I get access to the photos.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I think the periodic loosen/lube/check/re-torque mode would be the better choice. A 5 ft. long pipe added to the 40" PI breaker bar is going to put a large load on the ratchet mechanism in the wrench. With an 18" overlap of the pipe/bar and a 200 lb force applied you'd generate 1300 ft./lb. on the ratchet. Joe would have to start eating a lot of ice cream to hit that number.
I'm standing right here.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Definitely the better choice. I don't know what the ratchet head is rated for but I'd hate to think about what could happen if the thing failed while you were really leaning into it with an extension.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone confirm that the CL removal tool accepts a 3/4" drive? If not, is a metric adapter required? My car arrives soon, so I can't check it myself.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

It's 3/4"
Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Just a word of caution for those using the Precision Instrument Torque wrench. The handle mounts on the bar for either clockwise or counter clockwise rotation. If you get this wrong you could over torque your wheel nut.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 PM
CarCrazed
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question:

Nice job documenting this process. Can you provide some info on the short ramp you are using. Manufacturer, rise and where you purchased them? Also curious where you found the detailed documentation on the CL system?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 1st time CL change