Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time CL change

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 AM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Well I popped my CL cherry! I did a complete 4 wheel CL change yesterday to put on my O.Z HLT's and learned quite a bit along the way. Thanks to Mike and Mike for all of the great info and direction! I'm no videographer but did the best I could to document this in a video.

Some overall impressions.

1. As Mike in CA says, this is not rocket science. It does seem intimidating at first but if you take your time initially and READ YOUR MANUAL as well as review the other CL info available, The video has a section on hub and wheel inspection and what to look for, It's nearly as easy as any wheel change. If you have basic shop/auto knowledge this really will be a breeze.

2. Rear wheels do not require the use of applying the brake via use of an extra person or clamp, the parking brake does a good job.

3. The front wheels can be done alone. At first I had a hard time getting enough brake pressure to keep the fronts from turning but then I started the car and pumped the brakes before applying the clamp and all was good. They will move around a bit on you as well if you are applying any force in L or R direction but it is really manageable if you start with the wheels perfectly straight and apply your force evenly and on a vertical plane.

4. The paste is a mess, USE GLOVES. Period.

5. The jackpoint stands work great and were completely rock solid throughout. I highly recommend these.

6. In all not something I see as a big deal at all, From the time I grabbed the jack till the time I was done and scrubbing in my new tires, about an hour and 45 mins. That including fumbling with a video camera, reading and re reading the manual and other docs, and just being generally OCD. As long as you are prepared with the right tools, DID I MENTION GLOVES FOR THE PASTE, it really should take you no longer than 30-40 mins to do all 4 wheels given average experience. The process would go alot faster if you have 2 sockets and a dedicated breaker bar and torque wrench which I will be ordering shortly.

I really like the look of the O.Z HLT's as well, My GR inbound has the stock grey wheels so it will be cool to have both colors.

Last edited by Strimdog; 01-04-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog
Well I popped my CL cherry! I did a complete 4 wheel CL change yesterday to put on my O.Z HLT's and learned quite a bit along the way. Thanks to Mike and Mike for all of the great info and direction! I'm no videographer but did the best I could to document this in a video.

1. As Mike in CA says, this is not rocket science. It does seem intimidating at first but if you take your time initially and READ YOUR MANUAL as well as review the other CL info available, The video has a section on hub and wheel inspection and what to look for, It's nearly as easy as any wheel change. If you have basic shop/auto knowledge this really will be a breeze.

2. Rear wheels do not require the use of applying the brake via use of an extra person or clamp, the parking brake does a good job.

3. The front wheels can be done alone. At first I had a hard time getting enough brake pressure to keep the fronts from turning but then I started the car and pumped the brakes before applying the clamp and all was good. They will move around a bit on you as well if you are applying any force in L or R direction but it is really manageable if you start with the wheels perfectly straight and apply your force evenly and on a vertical plane.

5. The jackpoint stands work great and were completely rock solid throughout. I highly recommend these.

6. In all not something I see as a big deal at all, From the time I grabbed the jack till the time I was done and scrubbing in my new tires, about an hour and 45 mins. That including fumbling with a video camera, reading and re reading the manual and other docs, and just being generally OCD. As long as you are prepared with the right tools, DID I MENTION GLOVES FOR THE PASTE, it really should take you no longer than 30-40 mins to do all 4 wheels given average experience. The process would go alot faster if you have 2 sockets and a dedicated breaker bar and torque wrench which I will be ordering shortly.

I really like the look of the O.Z HLT's as well, My GR inbound has the stock grey wheels so it will be cool to have both colors.

Excellent!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:56 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the video Strimdog !!!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I posted a reply in the other thread but you did such a great job that it doesn't hurt to say it twice: absolutely awesome vid, Strimdog!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I posted a reply in the other thread but you did such a great job that it doesn't hurt to say it twice: absolutely awesome vid, Strimdog!
It was my pleasure sir! Really appreciate the kind words. Hopefully it will take much of the mystery out of them for our fellow Rennlisters!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Great job, but I am more impressed with your garage!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:51 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Strimdog,
Excellent vid, thanks for the effort.
Where did you get the paper manual that you refered to? I'd love to have that for reference the first time.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thoroughly impressed Mr. Strimdog! Well done!
Old 01-04-2015, 04:15 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work. My tool kit is the exact clone of yours....
Old 01-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastmd
Great job, but I am more impressed with your garage!
Thanks! I love my garage! The floor is my favorite part, and that was the least expensive part!

Originally Posted by armbar
Strimdog,
Excellent vid, thanks for the effort.
Where did you get the paper manual that you refered to? I'd love to have that for reference the first time.
Just PM me your e-Mail address and I will send them to you.

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Thoroughly impressed Mr. Strimdog! Well done!
Thanks Zulu!

Originally Posted by rockitman
Nice work. My tool kit is the exact clone of yours....
Thank you sir! Actually, MY tool kit is a clone of yours!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:18 PM
armbar
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Strimdog,

Done! Check your PM.

Btw, love the Martini look!
Old 01-04-2015, 05:31 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job Jeff! Nice video! I'm PMing you
Old 01-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 513 Posts

I think someone replied on the 15 steering lock question. Just in case my 15 does not have a steering lock.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine is a 14, NO lock.
Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Mine is a 2015. I am doubly sure that the steering locks because I tug one side to get out of the car.
Originally Posted by Alan C.
I think someone replied on the 15 steering lock question. Just in case my 15 does not have a steering lock.
So Strimdog's and my cars are both '14's; no steering lock.

Zulu's and Alan's are 15's; Zulu has a lock, Alan's doesn't. That is very strange.

Zulu, is your steering just hard to turn so that you can tug on it to exit, or do you hear the definite click of a steering lock engaging?

Comments from other '14/'15 owners welcome...
Old 01-04-2015, 07:46 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 513 Posts

Just went down to the garage and tried again. My 15 definitely does not have a steering lock.

Quick Reply: 1st time CL change