Sponsored by:

Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
So a lot of people are having issues and I see a lot of "I've filed a complaint"--but what has happened from there? Does PCNA even get back with clients about this? What does dealer say? How are they resolving?

BTW, is there a touch-up paint for the various finishes on rims?

Apparently someone posted this earlier and I believe its called, "Titan Metallic" D7Z.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:49 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bronson7
Apparently someone posted this earlier and I believe its called, "Titan Metallic" D7Z.
Perfect thanks

http://www.expresspaint.com/automoti...FQoOaQodgikAEQ

Still curious what service advisors are telling clients (or PCNA) for that matter regarding this issue. Seems as though EVERYONE should file a case with PCNA and start to make more noise. Lawsuit is a little over the top, but we need someone at a high level to help for sure.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wheel and tire insurance covers wheel re-finishing, that's a defensive option, but figured I'd mention bc I hadn't seen it discussed
Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually brought up this issue with the dealer when I bought the car. I explicitly asked them if I needed to purchase the tire/wheel insurance to cover this, or if it happened, would warranty cover it. They were explicit that it would be a warranty item.

When I mentioned "class action" earlier, poor choice of words. I didn't mean in the lawsuit sense. I meant more in the sense that the more of us aligned and complaining, the more likely PAG/PCNA will take action.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:45 AM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Im not even sure there is an ultimate answer - certainly replacing the alloys is not the answer unless a better preparation coat or sealant has been added to the finish.
Yes...even if Porsche decides in certain cases to replace the entire wheel set it ultimately won't solve the long term issue, they will just do it again. Most my other cars have a clear coat over the wheel finish and this certainly helps in the reduced number and severity of the chips (or at least helps in not removing base color coat when wheel is chipped). I suspect there is a reason they couldn't apply a clear coat on these wheels when they were made.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:44 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a satin black finish on my new 991 GTS CL wheels. I do not think they have a clear coat, but not sure. I hope I don't have the chipping problem with those that you guys have. That is some nasty looking rash.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Clear coat or not, painted wheels are never going to be immune to chips from rocks banging around. Cars tracked will just accelerate the number of chips.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Clear coat or not, painted wheels are never going to be immune to chips from rocks banging around. Cars tracked will just accelerate the number of chips.
this is different... lots of painted wheels, Porsche and others, thousands of miles, never a chip in the first 500 miles... could just be random? yes if it wasn't also the case for almost everyone with the wheels, in less than 1k miles... this is different.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:53 PM
996C2Cabriolet
Advanced

I have the glossy black finish and drove the car locally for 200 miles and have noticed a few chip marks revealing a silver finish beneith the black coating. Don't want to see what the wheels look like after a few thousand miles. Should not deteriorate this quickly...
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Of course not but a alloy wheel with clear coat applied over the base color will in many instances preserve the appearance a lot longer than not. My experience is that clear coated wheels can certainly assist in preventing the wheels from appearing like they just re-entered the atmosphere especially after many track days.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Of course not but a alloy wheel with clear coat applied over the base color will in many instances preserve the appearance a lot longer than not. My experience is that clear coated wheels can certainly assist in preventing the wheels from appearing like they just re-entered the atmosphere especially after many track days.
Yes and also makes them easier to clean. Over time these 991 Gt3 wheels with their matt finish become very difficult to clan the brake dust off of especially if it has been left of for a number of days through wet and dry as might happen when you are touring to and from a track a long distance away (overnight etc).

Ive had Porsches 15 years and used them the same as my GT3. Ive changed wheels many times for looks etc. Ive never had this problem or anything other than the odd stone chip or chip/delamination of clear coat over maybe 12 different Porsche model sets of alloys in 15 years not to mention the aftermaket ones either...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
appearing like they just re-entered the atmosphere
That's a good way to describe it. My wheels look like Macca's, and I really took care of them. I now dread washing them because the chips are not visible when covered by brake dust.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:19 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay so I hear a lot of legitimate complaints, what is anyone doing about it with Porsche or dealers or BOTH?

And conversely what is Porsche doing to address it?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
That's a good way to describe it. My wheels look like Macca's, and I really took care of them. I now dread washing them because the chips are not visible when covered by brake dust.
Touché! Mine stay dirty now until I absolutely must wash the car for fear of flaking off more paint and revealing yet more "white dots".

What are we doing about it? As I stated and others we are making formal claims on our dealer that PAG address the issue. What have PAG done yet? Nothing but they are probably monitoring how many people also perceive an issue before deciding if its a warranty claim with some action...that's why this thread exists to ensure folk are putting weight of evidence back to PAG for a response plan can be formulated.

Im now calling my car Apollo 12. Defined by Wikipedia: Second landing, in Ocean of Storms near Surveyor 3 . Surface EVA time: 7:45 hr. Samples returned: 75.62 pounds (34.30 kg)
Old 01-27-2015, 10:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

FWIW, I've got about 1000 miles on the car, some damaged clear bra in the front and the rear panel, one track day, and one incident where I went 4 wheels of and went lawn mowing with the car...

But zero damage to the wheel paint so far. Go figure...?

Quick Reply: Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?