Sponsored by:

Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:46 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I also called PCNA today and got a case number on this issue. If I never got another chip I'd be ok with the touch up I've done but I know there will be more to come and I wanted to establish a documentation trail.
That's a good idea Mike. I would do like to do the same tomorrow. If it is not any trouble, Could you post the phone number, and who did you ask to speak to. Thanks. Mark
Old 12-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mqandil
That's a good idea Mike. I would do like to do the same tomorrow. If it is not any trouble, Could you post the phone number, and who did you ask to speak to. Thanks. Mark
No trouble, Mark. I called the same number Napoli did: PCNA: 800-767-7243 and just waited out all the prompts until it said I'd be connected to a representative. I didn't ask for anyone in particular but Chad answered and I told him my story. Nice guy; he noticed that my record showed that I bought a Carrera coupe back in '84 and we chatted about that for a while....
Old 12-18-2014, 09:41 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No trouble, Mark. I called the same number Napoli did: PCNA: 800-767-7243 and just waited out all the prompts until it said I'd be connected to a representative. I didn't ask for anyone in particular but Chad answered and I told him my story. Nice guy; he noticed that my record showed that I bought a Carrera coupe back in '84 and we chatted about that for a while....
Thanks mike. Much appreciated. Mark
Old 12-18-2014, 11:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoli
Standard GT3 wheel finish. Chipped in several areas, getting worse. Only 500 non-track miles on car. Glaring white showing in chipped areas. Other than new wheels, any way to hide and halt the chipping and flaking?

Anyone else experiencing this?
This is not new or specific to these wheels. I have seen them in many rims in the last 10 years. Park the car and admire it or drive it and accept these things - your choice.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:20 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by cyncrvr
I must admit clear plastic dip for wheel protection has crossed my mind. Unfortunately, I've accumulated a handful for chips/nicks in ~5K miles, and did not get around to trying this.
Don't you wish you'd taken me seriously... LOL
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
This is not new or specific to these wheels. I have seen them in many rims in the last 10 years. Park the car and admire it or drive it and accept these things - your choice.
Have owned many 911s road and track over last 15 years never seen anything like this. If you own a 991 GT3 I suspect it's only a mater of time and miles and you would agree...
Old 12-19-2014, 01:32 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macca
Have owned many 911s road and track over last 15 years never seen anything like this. If you own a 991 GT3 I suspect it's only a mater of time and miles and you would agree...
It all has to do with wheel aero, the same thing happens with the 997.2S wheels. Ask me how I know that.

Wide tracks, slick fan designs tend to do that and your wheels push that farther. But isn't that what the GT3 owner is after? Of course there's a price for everything. It used to be a badge of honor to show performance road hazard marks in sports cars. I guess not anymore.

The same thing with race wheels when the heat is on:

Last edited by ADias; 12-19-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hey. Your talking to a guy who doesn't have an ounce of protective plastic on his GT3 LOL!

Ive not encountered the chipping we speak of in any of the dozen or so wheel designs Ive run on my track 993. Ive spoken to the paint experts at length who have looked at my wheels and all agree its a combination of the primer/top coat adhesive and the matt no clear coat finish. Sure the design may not be helping but the stone chips are not acceptable even on the GT3 I use on track. Im all for patina, wear the gravel rash on my 991 GT3 with pride but the white spots over my wheels are an eyesore, randomly distributed. I think this is a paint process issue.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:50 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

It all has to do with wheel aero, the same thing happens with the 997.2S wheels. Ask me how I know that.

Wide tracks, slick fan designs tend to do that and your wheels push that farther. But isn't that what the GT3 owner is after? Of course there's a price for everything. It used to be a badge of honor to show performance road hazard marks in sports cars. I guess not anymore.
Tony, with all due respect, I know what you're saying but I must agree with Macca. I haven't seen this particular kind of chipping on any Porsche wheel (or alloy wheel on any other car I've ever owned for that matter) from the Fuchs wheels on my '84 up through the RS wheels on my Cayenne and the Carrera Sports on my 997.2.

The matte platinum finish is particularly fragile and doesn't seem well bonded to the primer coat. Under similar driving conditions, I have many more wheel chips after 6 months of driving the GT3 than I had in 4 years with my Carrera. In fact, I never needed to touch up the GT Silver finish of the Carrera Sports. What's happening with these current wheels seems unusual to me, even given that they may have a stronger aero effect than some other designs. I'm not being overly sensitive to this, it's simply an observation.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

YMMV, but it is entirely new and specific to my experience of owning Porsches. And all the other cars I have owned, for that matter.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:47 AM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2900 Km's. no chips yet.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
2900 Km's. no chips yet.
In an earlier post someone mentioned the possibility of a "bad batch." I wonder if this is the case. Since there are many variables in a painting process it would make some sense. Any chipping on a 15 yet? Mine has none.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
In an earlier post someone mentioned the possibility of a "bad batch." I wonder if this is the case. Since there are many variables in a painting process it would make some sense. Any chipping on a 15 yet? Mine has none.
Does anyone know if Porsche even paints these themselves?? I would assume they have a supplier with these wheels, and since they were a new design forging, I guess there could be some issues.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:48 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Does anyone know if Porsche even paints these themselves?? I would assume they have a supplier with these wheels, and since they were a new design forging, I guess there could be some issues.
Almost certainly painted by 3rd part manufacturer.
Possibly improved process on MY2015.
Chipping will come from spirited B road driving in convoy or track work faster than anything else. First 2200 miles in Europe had 1 chip. Next 500 miles in NZ back roads driving albeit more aggressively and some Sunday sortes with driving mates 10. More chips. 500 more miles track work similar again then add 1500 more touring miles and another 5-8 again.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

My point is that rock chips do cause abrasions on these types of wheels with fan like blades more so than other designs. I have them on Carrera S II wheels exactly at the leading edge of those blades and those rims are clear coated. It is a function of aero, road surface conditions, and vehicles passing by throwing debris.

The 918 rims should see the same effect, except that most of those will be garage queens.

Quick Reply: Wheel Finish Already Chipped. Remedy?