Sponsored by:

GTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Last stick shift Mezger GT cars. Will be the Longnose hot rods of the next generation.
Will they ever be '73 RS money? Perhaps...in 20-30 years. For now,I'm waiting for the 7-8 years cycle and I believe(can't be 100% sure) that they will be had for around 100K,if not a tad lower...
Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,628 Likes on 2,313 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
So what are the 'traditional' 997.2 buyers going to buy now?
991GT3/RS
i hate technology, it will destroy us all. but even such luddite is swayed.
some of you eat plum, others eat apriot.
man, you are missing out.
try a pluot..... it's really better then the parent fruit. new sometimes could be fun.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Btw, I don't think this is true. The ratio of track rat to cars and coffee is the same with 997 and 991. The 997 guys just want you to think they are more 'hardcore'
meh...
i drink coffee on track
sometimes with good food and good company, not so much sweat and flies, road driving (the right roads) are just as fun if not more so than track. those who consistently think these cars are for track.... well, 1. you haven't driven a cup car yet, 2. you haven't found the right roads. once you find the right roads, you will know what i am babbling about.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Funny!!!!!!!! Have you driven one? Have you tracked with one yet? There are many here that have and would likely disagree with you. I am assuming you make this comment based on the fact there is NO manual gearbox?? I guess the Formula one boys are driving grand touring automatics too, and Nascar has it right............ The prior gen GT3 was not a race car either boys. It had a dual mass flywheel and different suspension components so the average Joe wouldn't stall it out in traffic and complain too much of it's harsh ride. The GT3RS on the other hand, was definitely a more track purposed 911 (notice I didn't say RaceCar), and much closer in relationship to the Cup Car, which is the race car version of the 911 that uses the same chassis. Of course the 991 GT3 is not a Race Car.....it was built for the road, built to last 100,000 miles, built to be respected on the track (and by most accounts it definitely is), and was built in limited numbers.
That's fine. People can disagree that **** smells for all I care. A car is the sum of its parts and the 991 GT3 != GT3 - not even close. That doesn't mean it can't be an incredible car in it's own right. I stand by my original statement; the 991 GT3 is more of a 991 GTS-R than a GT3. The entire drivetrain is completely different.

I don't recall stating that the prior GT3's were "race cars" as you put it. ...but there's a clear lineage between the CUP and those cars that isn't present with the 991. The GT3 is purely a marketing term at this point.

I have yet to see someone make a coherent argument against that other than "have you driven one!", "you're an idiot", "wow such ignorance" ....
Old 10-08-2014, 12:04 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
That's fine. People can disagree that **** smells for all I care. A car is the sum of its parts and the 991 GT3 != GT3 - not even close. That doesn't mean it can't be an incredible car in it's own right. I stand by my original statement; the 991 GT3 is more of a 991 GTS-R than a GT3. The entire drivetrain is completely different. I don't recall stating that the prior GT3's were "race cars" as you put it. ...but there's a clear lineage between the CUP and those cars that isn't present with the 991. The GT3 is purely a marketing term at this point. I have yet to see someone make a coherent argument against that other than "have you driven one!", "you're an idiot", "wow such ignorance" ....
Well, the last two, I wouldn't put upon you, but having not driven with such a strong opinion, is silly. Just take the PDK-S as one factor. It is entirely different in every way from the regular PDK.

You also don't accept Elephant Racing's analysis of the chassis comparison between the cup car, and the GT3.

You also have many track junkies on here with an incredible amount of track time, raving about the car compared to not only past GT3 cars, but also the RS versions.

At some point, people are going to push back. If you like the GTS so much, go buy it. Trying to heighten your choice by disparaging the GT3 to this group, will get you nothing. Honestly, watch the videos, get a ride in one, read the car reviews...etc. Then come back with a real argument.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
That's fine. People can disagree that **** smells for all I care. A car is the sum of its parts and the 991 GT3 != GT3 - not even close. That doesn't mean it can't be an incredible car in it's own right. I stand by my original statement; the 991 GT3 is more of a 991 GTS-R than a GT3. The entire drivetrain is completely different.

I have yet to see someone make a coherent argument against that other than "have you driven one!", "you're an idiot", "wow such ignorance" ....
I know for a FACT **** doesn't smell! I know for a FACT that 99% of the people you have engaged here will disagree with you, and so do you. In all honesty you are entitled to your opinion, it certainly doesn't make you an idiot or ignorant and most of us welcome spirited debate. I will say this however, you do make some very bold claims without having driven this car. The 991 GT3 is in FACT a GT3, I know this because Porsche tells me so. More importantly, as it has been stated here quite a few times there are very few parts as it relates to what makes this car tick in common with the 991 Carrera. If we look at the history of the GT3 we will see an evolution and that evolution was intended to increase not only the overall performance of the car but its appeal. The 996 of course was the most mechanical with the least amount of technology and many today regard it as the rawest of the GT3's. Is it the fastest, NO. Is it the most fun, depends who you ask, but none the less its Porsche's creation. What began with that car was an identity or spirit as well as a product. The majority of GT3 owners IDENTIFY with what Porsche has created in this car. Most people would classify it a RAW and Unrefined. There is no doubt most would also agree as this line has evolved there have been changes that challenged that identity. Things such as the addition of PASM with the 997 and additional creature comforts to RWS and PDK only in the 991. To make the statement that the 991 GT3 is a GTS-R to me is something I just can't get behind, and the biggest reason is you're just calling this car something it is not. With each evolution Porsche has stretched the performance and boundaries of the GT3. I am no race car driver but I have driven all models of the standard GT3 and a 997 RS and each car is different with one thing in common, it's spirit. The 991 is no different, Sure some don't like the PDK and some don't like the RWS. I was one of those "I'll never have anything but a manual Porsche for as long as I live guys" and dammed if there isn't a PDK in my garage today. Why? Because it makes me a better driver, a faster driver, and once I gave it a chance, a better rounded experience. My point being, the spirit of the GT3 is very much intact IMHO and Porsche has done a great job at broadening the appeal of this car without losing sight of their original vision. The 991 is VERY VERY much, A GT3.

Again, IMVHO.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:34 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog
I know for a FACT **** doesn't smell! I know for a FACT that 99% of the people you have engaged here will disagree with you, and so do you. In all honesty you are entitled to your opinion, it certainly doesn't make you an idiot or ignorant and most of us welcome spirited debate. I will say this however, you do make some very bold claims without having driven this car. The 991 GT3 is in FACT a GT3, I know this because Porsche tells me so. More importantly, as it has been stated here quite a few times there are very few parts as it relates to what makes this car tick in common with the 991 Carrera. If we look at the history of the GT3 we will see an evolution and that evolution was intended to increase not only the overall performance of the car but its appeal. The 996 of course was the most mechanical with the least amount of technology and many today regard it as the rawest of the GT3's. Is it the fastest, NO. Is it the most fun, depends who you ask, but none the less its Porsche's creation. What began with that car was an identity or spirit as well as a product. The majority of GT3 owners IDENTIFY with what Porsche has created in this car. Most people would classify it a RAW and Unrefined. There is no doubt most would also agree as this line has evolved there have been changes that challenged that identity. Things such as the addition of PASM with the 997 and additional creature comforts to RWS and PDK only in the 991. To make the statement that the 991 GT3 is a GTS-R to me is something I just can't get behind, and the biggest reason is you're just calling this car something it is not. With each evolution Porsche has stretched the performance and boundaries of the GT3. I am no race car driver but I have driven all models of the standard GT3 and a 997 RS and each car is different with one thing in common, it's spirit. The 991 is no different, Sure some don't like the PDK and some don't like the RWS. I was one of those "I'll never have anything but a manual Porsche for as long as I live guys" and dammed if there isn't a PDK in my garage today. Why? Because it makes me a better driver, a faster driver, and once I gave it a chance, a better rounded experience. My point being, the spirit of the GT3 is very much intact IMHO and Porsche has done a great job at broadening the appeal of this car without losing sight of their original vision. The 991 is VERY VERY much, A GT3.

Again, IMVHO.
Nicely said.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

Exactly. The 991 GT3 was designed to be something special from the ground up. Engine, suspension, transmission, etc.

The 991 GTS variants are combinations of features from the garden-variety 911 models. Nothing more, nothing less. It will be the best of the standard 911 variants, but it should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the GT3.

I've owned a 991 C2S. Great car, but it felt too much like a nice Mercedes and I sold it. Others may like the luxury, pampered ride, etc. Me, I wanted a sports car. (and IMHO, both my Cayman R and Boxster S are more pure sports car than the current standard 911 models - and I prefer the 987 to the 981)
Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Sport bucket seats will be available for the GTS in the U.S.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by WernerE
Very good news! As I've mentioned in the 991 forum,the buckets would probably be the only option for me. Manual and 5 lugs and you have a decent car...no GT3,but decent...
Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

The GTS downer is the painted-to-match front spoiler. The inevitable scrapes will force trips to the body shop unless a replacement factory part in black looks fine.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I can see this for RoW cars but am skeptical for the U.S. cars.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:10 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to say... its not a GT3... or even a GT3-lite... but this car looks very, very sweet. And although I am bought into PDK-S and not opening that can back up, its really cool you can still get a stick shift on this car

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/91...turesandspecs/

By the way, its also lighter than the GT3...
Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 PM
pmpsch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strimdog

Again, IMVHO.
+911

Have to admit I really enjoyed driving the 991GT3 at the Dubai Autodrome during the latest Porsche World RoadShow...it's impressive and probably as, if not faster than my 4.0

This being said, I guess what somehow frustrates 997 3s owners (including myself) is that it is much easier to drive and is therefore accessible to all now. Not only made for the "tough/skilled/hairy chested" hard core drivers anymore.

I mean....my wife who drives a Q7 did outstandingly well on the track (never been on a track - or driven a car that is lighter than 2tonnes - but relied on my instructions re braking points etc...) and even received a nice Porsche prize for that

Additionally, I subsequently drove the 991 Turbo S on the same track and have to admit the experience (and interior ) was somehow similar. This contrasts with the lack of similarity you would feel if you had driven back to back a 997 GT3 and a 997 TTS

Am getting the 991 RS when it is out as this is the way such cars evolve but will never get rid of the 4.0. The pleasure of driving a manual as I rediscovered the next day is second to none whatever people say.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pmpsch
The pleasure of driving a manual as I rediscovered the next day is second to none whatever people say.
Exactly! NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:11 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
and I prefer the 987 to the 981)
Don't want to derail the thread but can you elaborate more on this? Oh, and post (or PM me) some pics of the Mexico Blue boxster, pls. I'm experiencing the Boxster withdrawal syndrom and going back and forth between a 09+ (DFI) 987.2 and a 981.

Quick Reply: GTS