Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

The car may be a letter of the law LEMON but it's got a NEW factory built engine (likely blue-printed) which was scrutinized like no other. This is not General Motors.

It is exactly like every other '14 except the owners opted out thus putting the "legal" stain on them. 20 out of 785 cars and they all have the same engine!

There are plenty of banks out here and I've never met a dealership that couldn't find some way to finance a car. It's in their best interest.

Will the 20 be famous someday? Perhaps. "One of 20" sounds good.

Save those numbers...
Old 10-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Funny you say that I see the20 as being odd ball cars by circumstance, and being collectors down the road!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:37 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sithot
The car may be a letter of the law LEMON but it's got a NEW factory built engine (likely blue-printed) which was scrutinized like no other. This is not General Motors.

It is exactly like every other '14 except the owners opted out thus putting the "legal" stain on them. 20 out of 785 cars and they all have the same engine!

There are plenty of banks out here and I've never met a dealership that couldn't find some way to finance a car. It's in their best interest.

Will the 20 be famous someday? Perhaps. "One of 20" sounds good.

Save those numbers...
Thanks for your succinct insight.

I pay cash for my cars - only posted to give heads up for those who don't.... just in case.

You'll have to show us a photo your 991GT3.....
Old 10-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Funny you say that I see the20 as being odd ball cars by circumstance, and being collectors down the road!
Example: you and your next door neighbor own identical GT3's except yours has a branded title. 2 years later you both decide to trade in on that new Mercedes. Do you really believe that the used car manager at the Mercedes dealership will value the branded title car the same or more than the one with a clear title?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Sorry not referring to trade in's ...........value is based on rarity years out not in the current. Personally I never buy cars with resale in mind which is not a practical assumption from a financial gain perspective. Take thie 20 branded titles that are perfectly working cars, and they will have a story behind them that will attract a collector.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll respectfully agree to disagree. If I were a collector, I would much rather have a car with a perfect title than one with a lemon title. But that's me, others may have a different opinion. To me,rarity does not automatically equal desirability. I could get a PTS GT3 in dog **** brown and have the only one in the world, doesn't make it more desireable or valuable IMO.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:04 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Being a twenty of whatever is of no additional importance to the value of car since they have all been rebuilt and have the same story. It's the 20 owners that didn't want the car back so who cares if Joe Schmo once owned it?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

The moment you need to explain to the next buyer that your Lemon is not a real lemon by virtue of a technicality, you are at a disadvantage to every other seller. There will be plenty of other vehicles for sale without a story, and don't get me started on how the dealer will kill you on the trade of this lemon-lite GT3. I am not saying to not buy one, but the price needs to reflect the marketplace now and in the future.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:05 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
The moment you need to explain to the next buyer that your Lemon is not a real lemon by virtue of a technicality, you are at a disadvantage to every other seller. There will be plenty of other vehicles for sale without a story, and don't get me started on how the dealer will kill you on the trade of this lemon-lite GT3. I am not saying to not buy one, but the price needs to reflect the marketplace now and in the future.
Yup. I'll take one of these "story" cars right now for $85k. Heck, I'll take two.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This seems to just go round and round???? No issues if everyone wants to continue on but we have killed this thread to death and I think the same message has been repeated though many pages..here's a summary

1). FACT: There is NOTHING wrong with the "buyback" cars. They should and will be enjoyed and used as any other GT3 and will provide the owner the same excitement with use.

2) FACT: Unfortunately with any history that is short of perfect these WILL be affected in future resale value vs non buyback cars at some point. How much remains to be seen but historical data says that any sane appraiser would not value a "buyback" GT3 the same as a non buyback especially with history reports playing a big role with most buyers. Again nothing wrong with car but I think it's very evident that if 2 sat side by side with same mileage, options, and color (one a Porsche buyback and the other not) in a showroom and were the same price I think almost everyone would select the non buyback. Customers will want a break on price to overcome the buyback history. Remember NOT every Porsche customer reads forums, and as such won't realize in all cases that these cars are perfectly good cars without lingering problems that exist on some "buyback" cars, they will hear from all their friends (aka: "experts") they know on why you should never buy a "lemon".

3) FACT: many of the buyback cars have already been sold off dealers showrooms and at surprising amounts (many sold within first week!). Some would argue that this proves that they won't be worth any less than non buyback history GT3s and the market is proving it. The market will adjust once all the cars are built and delivered and could take some time to adjust once demand drops off a bit (991.2 GT3 launch).
Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Bingo. Close this one down. ^
Old 10-19-2014, 05:07 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A couple of bits of info: My local dealer got 2 buyback cars and sold one of them at $14K (they were asking $20K) over MSRP. I know the buyer and saw the car as he picked it up yesterday. Also, there are a few more (?15) buyback cars that will be auctioned off soon to Porsche dealers. Financing is a non issue for now, Porsche is providing it at their usual rate.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I wouldn't want to be in the position of having just purchased a '14' buyback at $14k over MSRP while another guy got a '15' at $5k off MSRP. However, if it's something the owner plans to keep long term it may not matter.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

True but there are no more 14's or 15's to be had and IF you have to have it.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:51 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 308 Likes on 162 Posts

I believe Porsche will finance the 2014 GT3s that include a "Lemon Law" technicality.

Quick Reply: PCNA GT3 Auction is at 4PM today