Sponsored by:

Compensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by llstuey
I suppose one of the aspects of this that Porsche is still grappling with is how to limit owners who receive cash compensation from then immediately flipping the car. I think this is a fair concern on their part, given that some of the figures being tossed around here amount to more than depreciation + typical financing costs (not to mention the speculation that you can still sell cars above MSRP once stop is lifted).
I think it's our RIGHT to be able to do that at this point truth be told. At least those of us who are in the "car is at the dealer and paid for and I can't use it" category. I had a decent amount of patience short of a little hiss here and there, but now I'm losing it incredibly quickly as the weather gets better and I don't have my damn car...yet I'm trapped to it for the most part because my money is already in. I NEED porsche to give an accurate timeframe so I can make an executive decision about this car situation.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Respectfully I disagree because I subscribe to the theory that comp should go "above and beyond" in this case. If somehow they comped you exactly your financing, depreciation and tax cost, then by all means sell the car the next day.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I think it's our RIGHT to be able to do that at this point truth be told. At least those of us who are in the "car is at the dealer and paid for and I can't use it" category. I had a decent amount of patience short of a little hiss here and there, but now I'm losing it incredibly quickly as the weather gets better and I don't have my damn car...yet I'm trapped to it for the most part because my money is already in. I NEED porsche to give an accurate timeframe so I can make an executive decision about this car situation.
Just give your car back to the dealer for a refund. You'll still be compensated for your loss. Then buy something else and enjoy the summer. I agree with you, this has gone on too long. The communication from PAG has just been for ****. No excuses in my mind.

Get a Cayman, BoxS or M4, drive the snot out of it, regroup in the fall. Life's too short to continue this.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Respectfully I disagree because I subscribe to the theory that comp should go "above and beyond" in this case. If somehow they comped you exactly your financing, depreciation and tax cost, then by all means sell the car the next day.
It's not going to go above and beyond, it'll be exact to your loss. Not a penny more. People need to keep a perspective here. The GT3 buyer is not that important. Yes we have bought more than one Porsche, but it's a small number, and dwarfed by the big money makers, Cayenne, Macan, Panamera. That's where they make their money, not on the GT3 buyer.

They'll do right by us, but they're not giving handouts for mental anguish.

Last edited by Bluehinder; 03-27-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

From RT in response to my question as to whether HT3 engines are hand built.

The 991 GT3 a part hand built on the normal 991 engine assembly line. The days of "one man one engine" are something of the past...

The engine runs on the line through the different work stations - the line from start to the finish is about 200m long. At the end every engine ist tested.

Last tuesday on the factory tour I have seen about about 150 991 engines with the silver oil cooler in a corner of the engine building - I don´t know, if these were new spec or the old version.

But as I wrote last week - the GT3 engine is again on the production line...

The 918 engine is a different story - here: one man - one engine. Out of my memory of the factory-tour last week, they told us, that it takes about 20 hours to built one 918 engine.

BlueflameSmiley
Old 03-27-2014, 12:05 PM
llstuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^
Fair, but my point is it's impossible to exactly calculate your loss since the warrant remedies, if any, will impact residuals, which impact your loss. So it's circular and the right way to do it is to approximate upwards, not downwards.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Just give your car back to the dealer for a refund. You'll still be compensated for your loss. Then buy something else and enjoy the summer. I agree with you, this has gone on too long. The communication from PAG has just been for ****. No excuses in my mind.

Get a Cayman, BoxS or M4, drive the snot out of it, regroup in the fall. Life's too short to continue this.
If I don't get this Gt3 I'm going GT as no other sports car is going to drive the same. I found a DBS that's perfect and the dealer is incredibly motivated to sell it. Even though it will lose a heap of money, it does 90 percent of what I was going to use the gt3 for and looks well...100 times hotter haha.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

^
Fair, but my point is it's impossible to exactly calculate your loss since the warrant remedies, if any, will impact residuals, which impact your loss. So it's circular and the right way to do it is to approximate upwards, not downwards.
Your loss:

L = A + B

where:
A = interest on $MSRP for the duration you were unable to drive the car
B = (MSRP) - (depreciation for miles driven) - (the price at which you or the dealer can sell the car right now)

If B = 0 (or negative, as in people are willing to buy the car from you/dealer at a premium from MSRP), then L = A.

Compensation will be in the L ballpark.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

I just don't see how they can go above and beyond if the "exact" compensation for all this mess would be near the 30k marker (especially for cars sadly like mine that are high MSRP and won't have the same appeal as a 145-150k gt3 as they did when they were first out)...which there is NO way they are going to do...I mean the reports around here that some of the reps have said the fact that if one took a loaner (and for some of us those are v6 cayennes and Panameras, so not even "sports cars"), it will effect the comp package...that shows me they are definitely counting beans vs being overly nice. Which truth be told is "fine", but don't expect me to keep the thing for that reason alone.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I highly doubt anything close to $30K, specially if a nice loaner was provided during the out of service timeframe. I guess we'll find out.
I doubt it too, Alex, unless this thing drags out for 6 months which is what the person suggesting $30K was referring too. It's also why I don't believe this will last 6 months. BTW, I was offered no loaner that was even remotely close to the car that I've paid for and can't drive.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
Your loss:

L = A + B

where:
B = (MSRP) - (depreciation for miles driven) - (the price at which you or the dealer can sell the car right now)

If B = 0 (or negative, as in people are willing to buy the car from you/dealer at a premium from MSRP), then L = A.

I agree completely with this. I would only add that for owners with cars in the garage, they may add registration and licensing fees for months unused.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
From RT in response to my question as to whether HT3 engines are hand built.

The 991 GT3 a part hand built on the normal 991 engine assembly line. The days of "one man one engine" are something of the past...

The engine runs on the line through the different work stations - the line from start to the finish is about 200m long. At the end every engine ist tested.

Last tuesday on the factory tour I have seen about about 150 991 engines with the silver oil cooler in a corner of the engine building - I don´t know, if these were new spec or the old version.

But as I wrote last week - the GT3 engine is again on the production line...

The 918 engine is a different story - here: one man - one engine. Out of my memory of the factory-tour last week, they told us, that it takes about 20 hours to built one 918 engine.

BlueflameSmiley
Just to clarify, EVERY 991 engine on the assembly line is partly/mostly hand built although at multiple stations by multiple workers. The GT3 engine goes down the same line as the rest as was stated. Also every engine is cold cranked (without intake or exhaust) on a test jig but only a tiny fraction are run hot for QC purposes. At the very end of the entire vehicle production line each car is run on a chassis rig for a few minutes to test various components. Maybe that's what the other poster meant when he said that all engines were "tested". But it's not like the old days when every engine was dyno'd.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by hf1
Your loss:

L = A + B

where:

You've included no factor for loss of use. I pay you for a product that you've advertised is designed for a specific purpose then you tell me it's not safe to use it for that purpose. I think it's fair to expect more than just compensation for the lost opportunity cost of the money even if you paid cash for the car. There's also the issue of people who are paying on loans, leases, insurance, and fees. The equation is much more complicated than what you've shown. IMHO.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:28 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

What's to prevent Porsche from offering the replacement engine only, or return the vehicle for a full refund of the purchase price? The cars that are returned, are then repaired and then re-sold as used, with repairs disclosed?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
You've included no factor for loss of use. I pay you for a product that you've advertised is designed for a specific purpose then you tell me it's not safe to use it for that purpose. I think it's fair to expect more than just compensation for the lost opportunity cost of the money even if you paid cash for the car. There's also the issue of people who are paying on loans, leases, insurance, and fees. The equation is much more complicated than what you've shown. IMHO.
100% accurate.

Quick Reply: Compensation