Crying, crying
Yeah, crying, crying
Over you
Old 03-28-2014, 12:11 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocked
This was just posted on Rennteam. This person is in Europe.

Just got a call from the dealer. The car production date for my GT3 has been postponed from April to October which means that I'm going to cancel my order. If I knew that earlier I could have booked an early slot for a Huracan. Now I have to either switch to a Turbo S with June production or not get a new car at all.

That really is a big fail for Porsche. Maybe they are too busy planning their next 4-cylinder diesel vehicles for desperate housewives instead of managing expectations and finding a better solution for the customers that are buying their most signature product.

I wish Ferrari had a fresh model in this segment...
Yes, he is in Bulgaria to be exact.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got a call from the dealer. The car production date for my GT3 has been postponed from April to October which means that I'm going to cancel my order. If I knew that earlier I could have booked an early slot for a Huracan. Now I have to either switch to a Turbo S with June production or not get a new car at all.

That really is a big fail for Porsche. Maybe they are too busy planning their next 4-cylinder diesel vehicles for desperate housewives instead of managing expectations and finding a better solution for the customers that are buying their most signature product.

I wish Ferrari had a fresh model in this segment...
This is what I've talking about re: priority of GT3 customers. Mass produced products for the masses is what drives the bottom line, not race enthusiasts.

We are a vocal and spirited bunch, but we are barely a decimal point on the bottom line.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Just got a call from the dealer. The car production date for my GT3 has been postponed from April to October which means that I'm going to cancel my order. If I knew that earlier I could have booked an early slot for a Huracan. Now I have to either switch to a Turbo S with June production or not get a new car at all...
Woah. That is pretty disappointing.

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
This is what I've talking about re: priority of GT3 customers. Mass produced products for the masses is what drives the bottom line, not race enthusiasts.

We are a vocal and spirited bunch, but we are barely a decimal point on the bottom line.
Very true. It would be short sighted of Porsche to ignore this group, though...
Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Moving April production to October should not have come as a surprise. All GT3 production was halted I believe Feb. 6th. Porsche announced engine replacements in March and priority would go to owners with delivered cars, buyers with built cars but not delivered and finally the production line.

Assuming Porsche is just now started to produce engines they need to build 785 engines for the cars already built. That could take 4 weeks. That would set back February, March and April builds by three months. In August the Porsche factory is on vacation.September and October dates makes sense. The good news is those cars will be 2015 models.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Moving April production to October should not have come as a surprise. All GT3 production was halted I believe Feb. 6th. Porsche announced engine replacements in March and priority would go to owners with delivered cars, buyers with built cars but not delivered and finally the production line. Assuming Porsche is just now started to produce engines they need to build 785 engines for the cars already built. That could take 4 weeks. That would set back February, March and April builds by three months. In August the Porsche factory is on vacation.September and October dates makes sense. The good news is those cars will be 2015 models.
^^Sharp analysis. I forgot about the August holiday.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Makes sense, Nick. Still disappointing, but I'll live.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Makes perfect sense Nick. More people get 2015 cars which is good.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Clocked
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick, one item to point out, some Gt3's like mine halted on the production line on 2/14/2014. PNA provided me my vin number and told me mine will be a 2014. If what you say becomes reality then I would get my car in October or November with a 2014 vin code. Again unacceptable without compensation as the 2015 model year will be on the same boat as my 2014 that was due April of this year. I personally would then request a 2015 allocation to arrive in April 2015. Start of next years driving season.

Regarding other posts about the size of this group and does Porsche care? They really don't no matter how many cars this small group has bought, our buying power is a pimple on an elephants butt. Do I think we will be offered some form of compensation? Yes I do and some of you have major dreams about that amount. Think in lines of free maintenance like some other car manufactures, $2k per month for being without your car and maybe a 2 year warranty extension. My best guess, won't be much more than that.

Let's all hope when we get our Emails from Mr. Tim Quinn VP, after Sales of Porsche Cars N.A., Inc. that a lot of major unanswered questions will finally get answered.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:08 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Nick, one item to point out, some Gt3's like mine halted on the production line on 2/14/2014. PNA provided me my vin number and told me mine will be a 2014. If what you say becomes reality then I would get my car in October or November with a 2014 vin code. Again unacceptable without compensation as the 2015 model year will be on the same boat as my 2014 that was due April of this year. I personally would then request a 2015 allocation to arrive in April 2015. Start of next years driving season.

Regarding other posts about the size of this group and does Porsche care? They really don't no matter how many cars this small group has bought, our buying power is a pimple on an elephants butt. Do I think we will be offered some form of compensation? Yes I do and some of you have major dreams about that amount. Think in lines of free maintenance like some other car manufactures, $2k per month for being without your car and maybe a 2 year warranty extension. My best guess, won't be much more than that.

Let's all hope when we get our Emails from Mr. Tim Quinn VP, after Sales of Porsche Cars N.A., Inc. that a lot of major unanswered questions will finally get answered.

Have a nice weekend.
It is possible that those that received a vin# will be grandfathered. Can't be that many.

Those claiming that Porsche is not concerned about GT3 owners I believe are missing the big picture. The car world particularly high end buyers are watching what Porsche does for us. We (high end buyers) are a coveted customer segment. High margins for car companies come from purchasers like us. This is the one segment Porsche or any other car company cannot afford to alienate.

Porsche will do right by us. We will not get everything we want but we will get enough to keep us happy.

Last edited by Nick; 03-28-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

^Great post going into the weekend. Love your optimism and hope you're right.^
Old 03-28-2014, 02:14 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing that the 2014 cars that are still at the factory that are built without motors, will get the engines installed as quickly as the first 785 and shipped accordingly. The first 785 will see their cars back on the road before these factory 2014 are delivered simply due to the shipping, customs and pre-delivery time.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moving April production to October should not have come as a surprise..

I absolutely agree and I'm expecting my April build/End of May delivery to be delayed. Only time will tell by how much (hopefully in 2 weeks we will have an idea)

..Those claiming that Porsche is not concerned about GT3 owners I believe are missing the big picture. The car world particularly high end buyers are watching what Porsche does for us. We (high end buyers) are a coveted customer segment. High margins for car companies come from purchasers like us. This is the one segment Porsche or any other car company cannot afford to alienate.
+1.

This is Porsche's flagship sports car and they can't afford to get this fix wrong. Whatever the final warranty/financial compensation package is going to be, some will not find it acceptable and move on, but make no mistake this will blow over in a few months once all the existing cars are fixed and production restarts.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 646 Likes on 326 Posts

From a purely business standpoint, the whole compensation discussion is a calculated risk that the company will make:
- Do NOTHING, and you **** off...what...a few hundred people (keep in mind, a majority of those affected are NOT here on Rennlist, so the discussion of compensation has NOT been in their face every day and they may never even expect any). Plus, once you all get your car back and running....you'll all forget about the compensation thing in a few months anyway.

- Do just a little, you **** off less because you at least satisfy some people, and surprise the people that expected nothing.

- Do a lot (like what everyone here is hoping for) and you may make 785 people happy, but upset shareholders, executives, accountants, etc.

VERY interesting balancing act they have here...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
From a purely business standpoint, the whole compensation discussion is a calculated risk that the company will make:
- Do NOTHING, and you **** off...what...a few hundred people (keep in mind, a majority of those affected are NOT here on Rennlist, so the discussion of compensation has NOT been in their face every day and they may never even expect any). Plus, once you all get your car back and running....you'll all forget about the compensation thing in a few months anyway.

- Do just a little, you **** off less because you at least satisfy some people, and surprise the people that expected nothing.

- Do a lot (like what everyone here is hoping for) and you may make 785 people happy, but upset shareholders, executives, accountants, etc.

VERY interesting balancing act they have here...
Good analysis, Bob. The way I look at this is that Porsche isn't just selling a car, they are selling a total experience, and that comes through in virtually every advertisement we see from them. If they treat this episode as just another corporate product recall they risk undermining the message that they've been presenting to their customers for decades. Even the bean counters should understand that perhaps they can't afford to do that. I know there have been other issues over the years, but this one has had a lot of exposure, including before the general public, not just a few owners with an IMS failure, coolant pipe issue, or what have you.

A very interesting balancing act, as you say, and we're all waiting to see how it plays out.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?