Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:25 AM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg57 View Post
I started reading this thread from the beginning to refresh my memory of the early days of this issue. I believe that aamersa's post (#179 on 2/14) was the first to get close to the right answer. He caught a lot of flak over it.
Quote:
Melting con rod bearings? Really?

You know that's the funny thing about the RL.... you can love it and hate it at the same time. You get the good with the bad, the astute and the insane, the engineer and the idiot, the mortals and the immortals. But one thing is for sure, you throw all the posts together and sort through what you want and (I can only speak for myself) there is some real valuable information in there! Think about the poor dude who doesn't know about this resource. He's listening to his dealer tell him absolutely nothing but the letter that came out. There were people who panicked and threw in the towel based on the info on this thread. There are others like me who are staying the course. Time will tell, but I personally can't wait to have this car. Worts and all.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:39 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Quote:
I started reading this thread from the beginning to refresh my memory of the early days of this issue. I believe that aamersa's post (#179 on 2/14) was the first to get close to the right answer. He caught a lot of flak over it.
Quote:

You know that's the funny thing about the RL.... you can love it and hate it at the same time. You get the good with the bad, the astute and the insane, the engineer and the idiot, the mortals and the immortals. But one thing is for sure, you throw all the posts together and sort through what you want and (I can only speak for myself) there is some real valuable information in there! Think about the poor dude who doesn't know about this resource. He's listening to his dealer tell him nothing but the letter that came out. There were people who panicked and threw in the towel based on the info on this thread. Others like me who are staying the course. Time will tell, but I personally can't wait to have this car. Worts and all.
excellent touché
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
aamersa was almost spot on, but because he called out the issue very early, he got ridiculed. The guys who had "sources" within Porsche were very wrong at the beginning.

Of course, no one who gave him flak has said "I am sorry, you were correct".
Aamersa was amazingly close to the real cause that's for sure... The sources from within were so off the mark, it's not funny... pipes, joints, brackets, simple fixes...

Oh well, all has been said and done now... The facts have vindicated Aamersa, that's for sure...
Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
..But....cup engines are meant to be rebuilt after 50 hours. Can't do that for street cars, so.....
Plenty of Cup engines w/125hrs or more running around out there. The 50hr recommendation from PMNA is for teams in competitive series.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 648 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Plenty of Cup engines w/125hrs or more running around out there. The 50hr recommendation from PMNA is for teams in competitive series.

<sigh> OK fine, 125 hours. either way, that's less than 10,000 miles. You missed my point....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a chat with a buddy of mine last night who's a mechanic at the local dealer. He's very knowledgeable, probably one of the best Porsche mechanics in Charlotte and a true MECHANIC...engine and tranny builds are no big deal to him.

He said that rod bolt failures are way more common than you would think. Lots of the race engine builders have issues with them, like the big teams. Surprisingly, so do some of the race engines that come directly from Porsche (and other manufacturers). Few years back, one of the Grand Am teams went through 3 motors at Daytona 24 in practices before one let go 4 hours into the actual race...each time, rod bolt failure. Thing is, we never hear about this stuff, these are RACE engines, stuff happens...

Technically, what you guys are getting is as close to a full blown race engine as you can 'street legally' get. So, as he said, you can't expect it to be as "perfect" and trouble free as a normal street car. It's not normal. I pushes the boundries because that's what you (we) all want. You can't have both. You want loads of hp? You want 9k RPM? You want perfection in driving? Sure...but at what cost?

Any of you ever drive a Porsche cup car? My understanding is that is as close to the perfection of the drive as you get in the 991GT3 - instant power, exceptional handling, lightning fast shift response, etc. but with creature comforts, nice interior, softer suspension, more 'quiet' etc....But....cup engines are meant to be rebuilt after 50 hours. Can't do that for street cars, so....

You are buying a street legal race car. Race cars have mechanical failures, get used to it....
++ Thx for the update -- This is exactly what I said when this came out. By getting this car you signed up to push the envelope. -- Looks like both parties will be doing the right thing..
Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Quote:
Quote:

You know that's the funny thing about the RL.... you can love it and hate it at the same time. You get the good with the bad, the astute and the insane, the engineer and the idiot, the mortals and the immortals. But one thing is for sure, you throw all the posts together and sort through what you want and (I can only speak for myself) there is some real valuable information in there! Think about the poor dude who doesn't know about this resource. He's listening to his dealer tell him absolutely nothing but the letter that came out. There were people who panicked and threw in the towel based on the info on this thread. There are others like me who are staying the course. Time will tell, but I personally can't wait to have this car. Worts and all.
-- Yep.. No such thing as a free lunch. You still have to be an independent thinker, TIFWIW, filter, and apply the info to your specific situation.. Sorry..
Old 03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Thx.. whats the cost range to re-build a Cup engine.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:36 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 648 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBrake911
Thx.. whats the cost range to re-build a Cup engine.
+/- $35k
Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
kaamacat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaamacat
I do not have a horse in this game, but, agree. We are talking simple old connecting rod, cap, bearing bolt/nut stuff here... how much is there to really invent? The communication referred to loose, but nothing exactly specific on anything breaking...or that a connecting rod hold sheered...etc. I thought that this part of the engine assembly was done with human intervention. Is it not possible that it could be as-simple-as human error on assembly?
I would still venture something closer to this. Torque end/cap related.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I had a chat with a buddy of mine last night who's a mechanic at the local dealer. He's very knowledgeable, probably one of the best Porsche mechanics in Charlotte and a true MECHANIC...engine and tranny builds are no big deal to him.

He said that rod bolt failures are way more common than you would think. Lots of the race engine builders have issues with them, like the big teams. Surprisingly, so do some of the race engines that come directly from Porsche (and other manufacturers). Few years back, one of the Grand Am teams went through 3 motors at Daytona 24 in practices before one let go 4 hours into the actual race...each time, rod bolt failure. Thing is, we never hear about this stuff, these are RACE engines, stuff happens...

Technically, what you guys are getting is as close to a full blown race engine as you can 'street legally' get. So, as he said, you can't expect it to be as "perfect" and trouble free as a normal street car. It's not normal. I pushes the boundries because that's what you (we) all want. You can't have both. You want loads of hp? You want 9k RPM? You want perfection in driving? Sure...but at what cost?

Any of you ever drive a Porsche cup car? My understanding is that is as close to the perfection of the drive as you get in the 991GT3 - instant power, exceptional handling, lightning fast shift response, etc. but with creature comforts, nice interior, softer suspension, more 'quiet' etc....But....cup engines are meant to be rebuilt after 50 hours. Can't do that for street cars, so....

You are buying a street legal race car. Race cars have mechanical failures, get used to it....
Or perhaps start appreciating Mezger's (over)design genius even more.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:55 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 356 Likes on 215 Posts

I had a chat with a buddy of mine last night who's a mechanic at the local dealer. He's very knowledgeable, probably one of the best Porsche mechanics in Charlotte and a true MECHANIC...engine and tranny builds are no big deal to him. He said that rod bolt failures are way more common than you would think. Lots of the race engine builders have issues with them, like the big teams. Surprisingly, so do some of the race engines that come directly from Porsche (and other manufacturers). Few years back, one of the Grand Am teams went through 3 motors at Daytona 24 in practices before one let go 4 hours into the actual race...each time, rod bolt failure. Thing is, we never hear about this stuff, these are RACE engines, stuff happens... Technically, what you guys are getting is as close to a full blown race engine as you can 'street legally' get. So, as he said, you can't expect it to be as "perfect" and trouble free as a normal street car. It's not normal. I pushes the boundries because that's what you (we) all want. You can't have both. You want loads of hp? You want 9k RPM? You want perfection in driving? Sure...but at what cost? Any of you ever drive a Porsche cup car? My understanding is that is as close to the perfection of the drive as you get in the 991GT3 - instant power, exceptional handling, lightning fast shift response, etc. but with creature comforts, nice interior, softer suspension, more 'quiet' etc....But....cup engines are meant to be rebuilt after 50 hours. Can't do that for street cars, so.... You are buying a street legal race car. Race cars have mechanical failures, get used to it....
This whole analogy doesn't make sense to me in the 991GT3 context and related problems. Might as well use the famous line : " BECAUSE RACE CAR ".
Porsche's goal was to build a car that is even more comfortable to drive on the street than its previous generations(think of the 996GT3,then the 997GT3 etc). So they've built this car as a whole package-engine included. How is " pushing the envelope " by making a " racing engine " is supposed to be making owners comfortable,when it failed miserably? I don't remember reading about any Mezger that needed a rebuilt after 300 miles...
So " pushing the boundaries " and needing a rebuilt after 50hrs is not what Porsche had in mind for a street car,but reliability and usability.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:07 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this whole situation boils down to:

1. Naysayers have support for their position to vote with their pocket books and not buy the car, as was their intention. Not happy to see adopters suffer, but happy that they remained strong in their stance.

2. Adopters have a chance to walk or take a bet and take the car, supported by either their first hand experience with the car or the litany of positive reviews--and to say that the reviews have been "good" is drastic understatement.

Adopters are the ones who were / are put through the wringer. Only time will tell if the pain was worth it. I'm in that camp. I think to will be worth it, but could be wrong. Ask me in a couple of years.

For now, IMO, we've beaten the topic of the 991 GT3--the engine, the gearbox, etc. to death.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

<sigh> OK fine, 125 hours. either way, that's less than 10,000 miles. You missed my point....
I guess so.

But to clarify my point, the only difference between a Cup motor and street GT3 motor that used it (pre-991) was lack of variocam and side mufflers. Rebuild and maintenance schedules would be the same if both engines were used in a like manner. Varying them yields the same risks.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I guess so.

But to clarify my point, the only difference between a Cup motor and street GT3 motor that used it (pre-991) was lack of variocam and side mufflers. Rebuild and maintenance schedules would be the same if both engines were used in a like manner. Varying them yields the same risks.
^This, plus worth noting that there is a HUGE difference between racing at a pro level and doing DE (even in fastest run groups) + an occasional club race. There are many Mezger GT3s with 50k+ miles (30k+ of which are track) still pulling strong without a refresh. The Mezger GT3 engine is probably the most robust sports/track engine ever.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?