Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:19 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Macca, changing a loom or component once off is one thing and I hear you... Being lied to over the first 3 years of ownership, having CL technology introduced that is not up to task and being asked to replace it every 3-4 years because they've washed their hands of it does leave a sour taste in ones mouth...

I love the car and love my hobby but spent the first 3 years during the uncertainty of it all wondering if I was going to lose a wheel at the next corner doing 200kmh... And to add insult to injury, when I asked to convert back to 5 studs, PAG told PCA they don't reverse engineer their cars and I would be on my own for warranty.

I knew all about the fitting issues and was happy to address that at some point. The rest was a result of half arsed engineering and testing, buck passing and arrogance. So yes, I was looking for the CL to be a one off debacle yet for Porsche it seems this is now more and more so the norm...
+1 Chris. I see Macca's point, but Porsches are MY #1 hobby. This isn't a web board dedicated to discussing the pros/cons of my wife's minivan. Whether or not the rumble seat lies flush with the interior flooring has little impact on me… But knowing that I can trust a product at 100+mph on a sweeper is of great value.

I have not read every post on this thread, nor I have read every thread on this board. However, I wonder how much of an impact VW is having on Porsche???

I HOPE more than anything that Porsche rectifies this situation with the GT3, and I can not wait to get one in my hands on the track in order to "just drive it!" But what I can guarantee is that I will be driving the new fleet of Corvette's on the track in coming months - and that was not even in the cards a few months back…

I'll always be a Porsche fan. It just might be pre-996 models along with a few exceptions.

Good luck guys, and hang in there. Can't wait to see more posts about this car on the track!

-B
Old 03-16-2014, 07:22 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It depends on the specific problem, of course, but if there is in fact something significant that has failed inside the engine due to a supplier quality issue, manufacturing issue, or whatever issue I personally would much rather have a brand new factory fresh motor, than have the dealer rebuild my existing one with new parts. Sorry if my "praying" will be counter to yours; don't know how scores are kept on that kind of thing.
I wholeheartedly agree! If they have a dealer open and repair an engine they can keep my car.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:34 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bored of just waiting, so was browsing youtube for fun videos, stumbled on this. I guess it make sense they fly all over like this.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:48 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
First, I appreciate you posting the feedback from your friend. Beyond that, respectfully, can you or anyone else produce even one documented fact that supports your theory? I'm friends with a member of AP's inside team, one of those guys who has been working every day since this whole thing began to track down the problem. (Why work so hard to find a problem that's already "known" or "suspected?). He has not been able to share any specifics with me, but I know the kind of guy he is, how hard he works, and the passion he and others on the team have for the car. Not to put too fine a point on it, but what is being said about these issues showing up in testing and being swept under the rug is complete and utter BS.
On one of the manufacturing delay threads quite some time back, a European RL’er posted that more than one early car suffered broken con rods in the hands of journalists conducting test drives. A bunch of people who are active in this forum immediately pounced on him, labeling him a troll, stating that he was full of BS, etc. Months later there is a stop sale, and unofficial reports from various sources, including highly respected European publications, are all indicating problems with rod bolts and/or rod failures.

If the current stop sale does indeed turn out to be related to rod bolt failure, it seems that our heavily-ridiculed RL poster from so many months ago was spot on. Could it have been a big coincidence that he fabricated a BS story that just so happened to turn out to be true? Possible I suppose, but the alternative seems more likely, IMO.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:52 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Manual Cayman/Boxster GT3 for under $85k. That batch would be epic/historic.
Sign me up! (assuming the warranty covers engine fires that happen on track)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
On one of the manufacturing delay threads quite some time back, a European RL’er posted that more than one early car suffered broken con rods in the hands of journalists conducting test drives. A bunch of people who are active in this forum immediately pounced on him, labeling him a troll, stating that he was full of BS, etc. Months later there is a stop sale, and unofficial reports from various sources, including highly respected European publications, are all indicating problems with rod bolts and/or rod failures. If the current stop sale does indeed turn out to be related to rod bolt failure, it seems that our heavily-ridiculed RL poster from so many months ago was spot on. Could it have been a big coincidence that he fabricated a BS story that just so happened to turn out to be true? Possible I suppose, but the alternative seems more likely, IMO.
It certainly may be true that the information was accurate...

However, not ALL members pounced on him and certainly he was asked to elaborate and / or give supporting detail. He didn't. In fact, as I recall, he vanished.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 480 Posts

^^^Probably laughing at us about now too...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:04 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by 0Q991
However, not ALL members pounced on him and certainly he was asked to elaborate and / or give supporting detail. He didn't. In fact, as I recall, he vanished.
be nice to andreas

Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
^^^Probably laughing at us about now too...
If so, he would've come back to gloat be now...
Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 0Q991
It certainly may be true that the information was accurate...

That he didn’t elaborate isn’t too surprising. If his source was feeding him sensitive information, he’d have to set some limits on what he could reveal. The same holds true for many posters who are active on this forum and claim to have sources they can’t reveal.

That he disappeared is even less surprising, given the uncharacteristically harsh rebukes he received here (not pointing any fingers at you).
Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

When did he do this? I don't recall his post.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1
Manual Cayman/Boxster GT3 for under $85k. That batch would be epic/historic.
Sign me up! (assuming the warranty covers engine fires that happen on track)
No problem. But it's going to cost more than 85.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...n-cup-car.html
Old 03-16-2014, 08:19 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nick
When did he do this? I don't recall his post.
It was in one of the threads on manufacturing delays. A huge thread that went on for dozens of pages as I recall. Hopefully, someone will find it and post up a link. I'm feeling too lazy to search for it this evening.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nizer
No problem. But it's going to cost more than 85.

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...n-cup-car.html
Wow! That's going to be awesome on track, but very pricey I'm guessing.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 74 Posts

On one of the manufacturing delay threads quite some time back, a European RL’er posted that more than one early car suffered broken con rods in the hands of journalists conducting test drives. A bunch of people who are active in this forum immediately pounced on him, labeling him a troll, stating that he was full of BS, etc. Months later there is a stop sale, and unofficial reports from various sources, including highly respected European publications, are all indicating problems with rod bolts and/or rod failures.

If the current stop sale does indeed turn out to be related to rod bolt failure, it seems that our heavily-ridiculed RL poster from so many months ago was spot on. Could it have been a big coincidence that he fabricated a BS story that just so happened to turn out to be true? Possible I suppose, but the alternative seems more likely, IMO.
That is what stuck me too. Months before the stop sale, the guy comes out of wood work made a very specific claim about a very specific part failing and if it turns out that indeed is the part that is failing (we don't know for sure that is indeed the case yet and it might turn out to be something else), chances are he knew something. Which means Porsche also knew something.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?