Sponsored by:

Stop Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

This is what Porsche said about the GT3 at the news conference today;

We know the reason and the problem-solving measures,” Chief Executive Officer Matthias Mueller said today at a press conference near company headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany. “We’re testing them.” Porsche plans to announce the technical solution “shortly” and will first inform customers, he said.

This is what I get from what he said;

One reason for the problem; (know the reason for the problem)

Implies there are several fixes (problem solving measures);

"We are testing them" does this mean something other than engine replacement?

Finally, since he did not indicate it was limited to a few cars as they initially announced it is fair to assume all cars are affected.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
For me, the GT3 would be pretty much a dedicated track car, and without the sport bucket seats, the GT3 already is deficient. At this point, i'm really tempted to buy a 6mt Cayman, gut it and turn it into a dedicated track car.
I may just do it to my loaner, if Porsche keeps acting like that
Old 03-14-2014, 01:44 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

A few comments preceded by the statement that I do not have a 991 GT3 either on order or at home. I am perfectly happy with my 997.2 GT3. I am sympathetic with those that are waiting and I'm not sure I would be as calm.

That said I applaud Porsche for the way they are handling this. They got some mud on their collective faces over several issues like IMS bearing, coolant pipes and the infamous center lock hubs.

In a prior career I did aircraft and industrial safety investigations as well as material failure investigations and many times the problem is hard to solve. I found quickly that until you have something concrete to report it is better to say nothing. When I say something concrete I mean a conclusion that has been arrived at only after a through investigation and analysis of the subject matter. To jump to a conclusion early and announce it only causes more issues.

I don't know any more about the current issue with the engines than what I have read but i would say the problem may be made harder and thus take more time to resolve if the VIN numbers of the vehicles that caught fire are not close together in the production run. I will also say that when you have a fire that distorts the properties of metal analysis becomes more difficult.

I am confident that Porsche will solve the issue and hopefully the wait for those with cars involved will be worth it as a better and stronger GT3 may emerge. In the meantime I do understand your frustration with the lack of information but it is better than miss-information.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM
LateBrake911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
I will ask, very good quation. I just sent an inquiry to see if they have C2S with powerkit anywhere nearby. Won't let go of the GT3 unless it is certain to take months. I heard of the race spec Caymans but don't know anything about them, as I love the heavy rear end.
Now your talking.. that would be awesome..let us know.. -- you must be a good customer if they do all this for you, or is it just PCNA telling them.. --PCNA said they are working with regional mgr in Chicago area on loaner since I bough car in CA and had it shipped.. -- They called back and said they were working on it..

I said no rush as was waiting for Friday announcement.. Now I just want it.. ASAP.. 911s demo, loaner what ever.. so I can forget about GT3 as it could be a while.. .. I will call them in a bit.. later today.

TAX . .in IL you can offset the tax with your trade in. .IN CA you can't. not sure about TX. (sam from TX right.. LOL). dealer will know for sure..
Old 03-14-2014, 01:58 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
I would definitely have your original contract voided and have them roll the trade into your next car.

BTW PP has a white 50th ed 911. So it has powerkit and wide ***. Perhaps your dealer can trade for it
Thanks for both pointers.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:04 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by LateBrake911

TAX . .in IL you can offset the tax with your trade in. .IN CA you can't. not sure about TX. (sam from TX right.. LOL). dealer will know for sure..
Yes, I paid no tax on the GT3. TTS trade in value was higher than my MRSP on the 3.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:05 PM
RINGMEISTER27
Racer

Originally Posted by JimSand
RINGMEISTER27 Congrats on your 458!

Did the dealer try to convince you to be a bit more patient and wait for the GT3 or did they take the position of here is your deposit, we have plenty of buyers that are still interested in buying a 2014 GT3?

Thank you!
They did ensure me that Porsche was resolving the issue, blah blah and suggested that I wait a little longer. My response was a little longer could be a few days or months. No one knows. And for a customer dropping 150k on a vehicle, the uncertainty is unacceptable. I'm good friends with them and as soon as I said "458" he they told be to jump on it, lol.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the Corvette Z06 beckons
Old 03-14-2014, 02:17 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Originally Posted by kosmo
the Corvette Z06 beckons
A year away.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:25 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I just hope this fiasco doesn't completely kill the GT3 program as I need a continuous stream of 3-5yr old GT3s to which I will upgrade. I'd be stuck with my $100k+ 6GT3 forever.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreeder
Yep I have test rigs to test products. Guess what you always miss something. nothing like real world testing. Like race tracks. Yep that would help. I think this thing is half baked. If they know the problem then tell us and then tell us your fix. then we'll let you test it all you like.
All you rennis have to start to get a bit angry if you really want the information . You read the article we are all happy little customers we understand. That really is the biggest insult. No we are not happy little customers.
Sorry a bit presumptuous of me. I know I'm not a happy little customer and I assumed all of you are not exactly overjoyed. If anyone is over the moon happy about it then please correct me.
Ok Mr. Ellis

No one has corrected me so your assumption that your loyal base is ok with this is wrong.

Have a look at how many people have read this thread did I see 156,000. So there are quite a few people who are aware of your absolute folly in thinking we are all ok with it.

Statements like that make my blood boil. Come on rennies get stuck into them you know they monitor these threads
Stop being so understanding. We all need to know what is going on we are stakeholders and have a right.
god you are nice people I wish my customers were so understanding.
I'm late to the party this AM. I see we've now gone ape **** for another 10 pages over a single quote from a "spokesman". I still haven't received an official communication, Have any of you?

Geez, gonzobreeder, that's 6 posts in 15 minutes. Take a breath and consolidate! Since I've personally checked this thread about 1000 times the 156,000 view number isn't all that impressive. And what is it that you expect: hourly updates of "we're still working on it".....?

No, I'm not happy. But I am a realist and the issue for me isn't that something happened that apparently didn't show up in months of testing. The issue is how will it get fixed. So now that the problem has arisen what is it that we all want, a quick fix or a quality fix? The two are usually incompatible.

I wouldn't blame anyone at this point for pulling the plug on an order. I intend to ride it out with the expectation that I will get a significant chunk of money back for loss of use and eventually a 100% functional car. But I don't think that yelling and stomping my feet is going to accomplish much.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I wouldn't blame anyone at this point for pulling the plug on an order. I intend to ride it out with the expectation that I will get a significant chunk of money back for loss of use and eventually a 100% functional car. But I don't think that yelling and stomping my feet is going to accomplish much.
I got a call from PCNA a few minutes ago, and she said that we should hear something on Monday, and that today's announcement was in fact pushed to Monday. I asked a bunch of other questions about details, problems/solutions, etc..., but that was all she could say.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
I got a call from PCNA a few minutes ago, and she said that we should hear something on Monday, and that today's announcement was in fact pushed to Monday. I asked a bunch of other questions about details, problems/solutions, etc..., but that was all she could say.
Thanks, Jeff. No call for me yet....
Old 03-14-2014, 02:45 PM
Fadi1
Pro

This is a crazy mind game that PAG is playing. Pure torture...
Old 03-14-2014, 02:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

In the meantime,I'm sure you've read they are making 23 grand a car sold! That's insane! The next manufacturer(Audi) makes 5 grand.

Quick Reply: Stop Sale?