Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:38 AM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Well, since the Iraqi government (Prime Minister) admitted that their forces abandoned 2300 new Humvees (USA gifts) recently I am sure the ISIS forces are getting the best discount possible on all of their certified military products!
As long as GM provided all those vehicles with a little bit of OnStar (tm) and a cross platform technology sharing agreement, say with General Dynamics, it might still all work out too the good :-)
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Selvatico
they refer to the outside temperature and in the article it seems, if I uderstand well German, that they confirm it could influence the performances by some margin. I don't agree too much but this is what it seems they have told there..
Its been heat wave hot the last couple weeks. Makes a big lap time difference, like running at Sebring in July.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Its been heat wave hot the last couple weeks. Makes a big lap time difference, like running at Sebring in July.
i think it was 16 for the Gt3 compared to 26 celsius for the Rs. Not 36 as it is now in this area:-)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the future is coming, Automobile Magazine's latest 16 July 2015 online issue, " . . . .While the free breathing, naturally aspirated 4.0-liter motor fitted to the current Porsche 911 GT3 RS has some potential for evolution, it will eventually be superseded by an even brawnier, lightweight Mk II engine, but without forced induction. . . ."

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...all-turbo-era/

Ouch. I'm obsolete already, C'est la vie.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,070 Likes on 2,326 Posts

That's why you take the summers off for tracking.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mlpor
From the future is coming, Automobile Magazine's latest 16 July 2015 online issue, " . . . .While the free breathing, naturally aspirated 4.0-liter motor fitted to the current Porsche 911 GT3 RS has some potential for evolution, it will eventually be superseded by an even brawnier, lightweight Mk II engine, but without forced induction. . . ." http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...all-turbo-era/ Ouch. I'm obsolete already, C'est la vie.
You can't believe the rubbish in the press. we had Frankel convincing the wold through a poorly conducted Hatz interview last year that the RS 4.0 was a completely new design from the GT3 and 9A1 when it was not.

I have no doubt at some time the RS engine will be a bit beanies and a bit lighter but this will be evolution not revolution. Remember there is now (or vey shortly to be) a race car with this engine....
Old 07-17-2015, 07:55 PM
AEsco48
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

-----

Last edited by AEsco48; 07-18-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

By way of comparison with temps and pressures during the SA GT3 v RS tests:

Hock:

GT3 = 17C ambient at 1012 mba
RS = 22C ambient at 1020 mba

Ring:

GT3 = 15C ambient
RS = 17C ambient?

I personally have noticed a power difference on track between a day 10C ambient and 26C ambient and 17C ambient and 26 Ambient but my experience is the most noticebale difference is when the ambient is under 15C

Its interesting to compare the Hock track time data points. The RS hold more G in 3-4 of the corners but the corner exit speeds of the two are suprisingly similar with the GT3 actually beating the RS on 2-3 corners. However its game over on the straights as you might expect and well as faster sweeper corners. Its an imperfect comparison as different days and conditions etc. However it points tome that the RS mechanical grip (wider front and rear wheels/tyres) is making up at least 50% of teh difference between the two with the aero advantage (and sometimes disadvantage) and power/torque advantage making up the other half of the difference. I have no doubt if you put larger tyres and a bigger Crawford wing on the GT3 you may collect a couple of seconds at the Ring.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:09 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca

Hock:

Ring:

GT3 = 15C ambient
RS = 17C ambient?

I personally have noticed a power difference on track between a day 10C ambient and 26C ambient and 17C ambient and 26 Ambient but my experience is the most noticebale difference is when the ambient is under 15C

Its interesting to compare the Hock track time data points. The RS hold more G in 3-4 of the corners but the corner exit speeds of the two are suprisingly similar with the GT3 actually beating the RS on 2-3 corners. However its game over on the straights as you might expect and well as faster sweeper corners. Its an imperfect comparison as different days and conditions etc. However it points tome that the RS mechanical grip (wider front and rear wheels/tyres) is making up at least 50% of teh difference between the two with the aero advantage (and sometimes disadvantage) and power/torque advantage making up the other half of the difference. I have no doubt if you put larger tyres and a bigger Crawford wing on the GT3 you may collect a couple of seconds at the Ring.
Ambient temps can definitely have an impact on lap times. A day with cold air temps (engine power) and lots of sunshine (warm track surface for warm tires) is usually ideal. I've never driven the MPSC2's, but some street-biased tires also don't respond well to the very high track temps that can occur on a really warm day, and grip can fall of noticeably. If the RS was tested on a slightly warmer day, I would expect that to be a slight disadvantage, although the differences listed in your post aren't that big.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 972 Posts

Lightweight, no frills 911R. Hmmmm.

"While the free breathing, naturally aspirated 4.0-liter motor fitted to the current Porsche 911 GT3 RS has some potential for evolution, it will eventually be superseded by an even brawnier, lightweight Mk II engine, but without forced induction. The lightweight, no-frills Porsche 911R scheduled to appear in limited quantity next year will have a naturally aspirated 450-hp engine, which is further proof that the classic Porsche flat-six has a future in Stuttgart."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz3gCM4TVab
Follow us: @AutomobileMag on Twitter | AutomobileMag on Facebook
Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Lightweight, no frills 911R. Hmmmm. "While the free breathing, naturally aspirated 4.0-liter motor fitted to the current Porsche 911 GT3 RS has some potential for evolution, it will eventually be superseded by an even brawnier, lightweight Mk II engine, but without forced induction. The lightweight, no-frills Porsche 911R scheduled to appear in limited quantity next year will have a naturally aspirated 450-hp engine, which is further proof that the classic Porsche flat-six has a future in Stuttgart." Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz3gCM4TVab Follow us: @AutomobileMag on Twitter | AutomobileMag on Facebook
Agree. I'd be in the market for that. However I don't trust the internet press. Reading that and taking it literally disappoints me. You would only put a 450 BHP engine in it if you were using up your stores of 3.8S engines and power kits. Otherwise you would be de tuning a 475-500 BHP GTS/RS engine and why would you do that?

Which would mean it's unlikely to be a freely and high revving GT family engine. Realistically how much can you drop from the 991 platform without getting highly exotic (thus making your clients the prototypers)? If you took the base GT3 and removed it's seats, dash, air con, radio, door cards, carpet and rear and side glass you may win 90kg (I.e. 1340 kg about the same as a new Cayman Spyder).
Old 07-18-2015, 03:36 AM
Selvatico
Instructor

Hock:

Ring:

GT3 = 15C ambient
RS = 17C ambient?

at the ring the difference was 10C ambient. Can someone estimate how much this could impact the RS Ring time at the end?a pair of seconds is realistic? or not?
Btw and just for info, on Italian Forums, the same that informed correctly about the RS in the past, there are some insiders, that insist to say that different (more than one) GT3 versions are coming soon.. We will see..
Old 07-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

at the ring the difference was 10C ambient. Can someone estimate how much this could impact the RS Ring time at the end?a pair of seconds is realistic? or not? Btw and just for info, on Italian Forums, the same that informed correctly about the RS in the past, there are some insiders, that insist to say that different (more than one) GT3 versions are coming soon.. We will see..
Hi mate. Thanks for the correction. I couldn't find the Ring temp on the posted SA article. So 15 vs 25. It's enough to make a small difference but barometric pressure was similar at 1012 v 1020 and a large difference here may have had a larger impact. Every SA test has differing conditions as does every manufacturers Ring time so if we were to try to take those conditions into account we would go in circles. The 0-100 times for both cars according to SA were identical with a 0.3s difference in the 0-200, so one imagines the time differences at the track are more about dynamic improvements such as mechanical grip etc than on a power basis. Even aero seems to have a limited impact in reality.

The information I have heard is very limited. That there may be a future transmission choice for GT3 next gen but that the RS will likely be PDK only for outright performance. The "GT" car that has been discussed in the above posts is intriguing but I am not holding my breath and assuming another badge engineering job from Porsche?
Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Selvatico
Instructor

Hi mate. Thanks for the correction. I couldn't find the Ring temp on the posted SA article. So 15 vs 25. It's enough to make a small difference but barometric pressure was similar at 1012 v 1020 and a large difference here may have had a larger impact. Every SA test has differing conditions as does every manufacturers Ring time so if we were to try to take those conditions into account we would go in circles. The 0-100 times for both cars according to SA were identical with a 0.3s difference in the 0-200, so one imagines the time differences at the track are more about dynamic improvements such as mechanical grip etc than on a power basis. Even aero seems to have a limited impact in reality.

The information I have heard is very limited. That there may be a future transmission choice for GT3 next gen but that the RS will likely be PDK only for outright performance. The "GT" car that has been discussed in the above posts is intriguing but I am not holding my breath and assuming another badge engineering job from Porsche?
Hi Macca...
probably a silver RS will be faster at the Ring?
Old 07-18-2015, 07:07 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Macca... probably a silver RS will be faster at the Ring? Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjHmgn60-1E
Does look good in GT silver doesn't it. Sounds good too!

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread