Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Yes Along with the other RS goods it has over the normal GT3, CF parts, big wing, wider body, etc etc etc And of course there will be a lot less RS's around.
^This
Old 07-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Selvatico
about the video I posted yesterday,here the results...

He left time on the table at T3.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:49 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Yes Along with the other RS goods it has over the normal GT3, CF parts, big wing, wider body, etc etc etc And of course there will be a lot less RS's around.
I believe the issue with the RS is the engine. GT3 engine is definitely punching above its weight and proved to be producing more than 475HP if you look at the trapspeed its producing. The RS on the other hand seem to produce the 500HP Porsche listed only. I would bet the difference between them on a dyno to be less than 10HP.

This 500HP was disappointing as the old 997 4.0 GT3RS produced 500HP without direct injection. Direct injection and newer technology should give the new RS at least 520HP and it should be at 530HP.

This is one of the main reason why i canceled my RS order.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:10 AM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I believe the issue with the RS is the engine. GT3 engine is definitely punching above its weight and proved to be producing more than 475HP if you look at the trapspeed its producing. The RS on the other hand seem to produce the 500HP Porsche listed only. I would bet the difference between them on a dyno to be less than 10HP.

This 500HP was disappointing as the old 997 4.0 GT3RS produced 500HP without direct injection. Direct injection and newer technology should give the new RS at least 520HP and it should be at 530HP.

You made a mistake canceling and the 4.0L engine is one of the biggest reasons to switch along with the other things I mentioned. The RS motor we already know makes more than 500. They will not be within 10hp of each other. They were conservative on the HP on the GT3 and are with the RS as well...
Old 07-30-2015, 03:20 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power is not the main factor here.. Yes the 4.0 is making more power, but the RS has so much downforce on the road the difference could be minimal. The torque curve is what you should be looking at. You definetely have more torque over the whole range as all reviews have been pointing out, and that is due to the 4.0.

No RS has been on the dyno yet to claim its punching its listed numbers...
Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Those lap times bear a little more scrutiny. The biggest difference by far is T1, and it's not far at all from S/F. So the RS somehow got a much faster start. RS then beaten on T3, it's the slowest corner so downforce no advantage. What's really interesting is the back straight they reach almost the same speed when RS should be faster. Perhaps GT3 nailed T3! Rest of lap more as you'd expect with RS slightly faster in most corners.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:26 AM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by karimgt3
Power is not the main factor here.. Yes the 4.0 is making more power, but the RS has so much downforce on the road the difference could be minimal. The torque curve is what you should be looking at. You definetely have more torque over the whole range as all reviews have been pointing out, and that is due to the 4.0.

No RS has been on the dyno yet to claim its punching its listed numbers...
Usually downforce plays a role over 80mph. I have seen a overlayed video with 991 GT3 and GT3RS accelerating from Zero to 250km or so and the GT3 had an advantage all the way from zero until they stopped the run. Even in the speeds where downforce didn't play a role, the RS didn't have an answer to the GT3. Now keep in mind that RS has wider tires and 25HP which should at least kept an advantage until 160km or so where downforce starts to affect the HP advantage.

Put front canards and wider tires on GT3 and you will be surprised how close the GT3 will get to the RS.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:30 AM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

.....'just' one second means almost 50m ahead considering an average speed of 140km/hr on this track.. Multiply by 20 laps and the RS driver would have finished smoking a cigarette while waiting for the GT3 to be done..

Bring in a 918 and it'll beat the RS by 'just' one second.. Is it worth the extra $800k? Hummm...

If you're an athlete, you will know well that every 'one' second gained on an exponential limit curve requires 10x times the effort. So one must admit that yes, the RS is ten times better...

Wael
Old 07-30-2015, 04:36 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Consolidated 991RS thread

Ask Rosberg if he would be happy with only 1 sec quicker lap times. I think he would go
Old 07-30-2015, 04:47 AM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Ask Rosberg if he would be happy with only 1 sec quicker lap times. I think he would go
I did and this is what he said:

Wael
Old 07-30-2015, 04:51 AM
karimgt3
Pro

Usually downforce plays a role over 80mph. I have seen a overlayed video with 991 GT3 and GT3RS accelerating from Zero to 250km or so and the GT3 had an advantage all the way from zero until they stopped the run. Even in the speeds where downforce didn't play a role, the RS didn't have an answer to the GT3. Now keep in mind that RS has wider tires and 25HP which should at least kept an advantage until 160km or so where downforce starts to affect the HP advantage.

Put front canards and wider tires on GT3 and you will be surprised how close the GT3 will get to the RS.
The video you are talking about has already been discussed multiple times.. Watch it again, and pay attention how the RS totally flopped its launch off the line in that video.. Don't watch the comparo, watch the original one, and see how it stalls in 1st for some time due to wheel spin..

No excuses, but if you want to compare them, you should do so within EXACT SAME CONDITIONS, because as I said, difference in a straight line will be minor, and this is not the purpose..you should focus on handling and track performance instead.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WazRS
.....'just' one second means almost 50m ahead considering an average speed of 140km/hr on this track.. Multiply by 20 laps and the RS driver would have finished smoking a cigarette while waiting for the GT3 to be done..

Bring in a 918 and it'll beat the RS by 'just' one second.. Is it worth the extra $800k? Hummm...

If you're an athlete, you will know well that every 'one' second gained on an exponential limit curve requires 10x times the effort. So one must admit that yes, the RS is ten times better...

Wael
But I don't smoke - lol
Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Peter, what is the proper run in, in Germany?
I hope driving to the Ring and an easy first day at the Ring will suffice :-)
Hi Peter:

Honestly I don't know - think it is 3 k km. I need to check this out in the manual.

BR

Peter

Got an issue with water temp sensor yesterday. No more read out on the temp gauge and both fans running fully. Oil temp was very low so - arround 55° C. Had very low oil and water temp in the morning and two days ago. I am a bit suspicous about a defective thermostat. Also maybe a sensor is gone. Will bring the car to the dealer on Friday. Will keep u posted.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Selvatico
about the video I posted yesterday,here the results...

Sorry but IMHO, if the other laps were like the video its too sloppy to mean anything. The first corners its like he's warming up and he has to catch and correct a few times. I like to see clean laps to analyze Vmin and Vmax in terms of car performance.

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Those lap times bear a little more scrutiny. The biggest difference by far is T1, and it's not far at all from S/F. So the RS somehow got a much faster start. RS then beaten on T3, it's the slowest corner so downforce no advantage. What's really interesting is the back straight they reach almost the same speed when RS should be faster. Perhaps GT3 nailed T3! Rest of lap more as you'd expect with RS slightly faster in most corners.
T3 was taken slow.

Originally Posted by Peterfirst
Hi Peter:

Honestly I don't know - think it is 3 k km. I need to check this out in the manual.

BR

Peter

Got an issue with water temp sensor yesterday. No more read out on the temp gauge and both fans running fully. Oil temp was very low so - arround 55° C. Had very low oil and water temp in the morning and two days ago. I am a bit suspicous about a defective thermostat. Also maybe a sensor is gone. Will bring the car to the dealer on Friday. Will keep u posted.
Ah, yes the infamous Porsche Chinese thermostats... Probably just that, problem is they will throw a new one in and you don't find out for 100Km to see if that's the problem or the fault code pops up again.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:10 AM
karimgt3
Pro

@Trakcar which video are you talking about?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread