Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:25 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkim
Agree. I recall my near hysteria in August '14 when I thought I couldn't land a GT3 allocation.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:52 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Congrats!

The official answer for PTS is No right now. That could change soon, or later, or never. Lots of us are applying pressure on PCNA / PAG to open up PTS for both the 991.1 GT3 RS and the 981.1 Cayman GT4.

If it was me, and I can only speak for myself, I'd take the later slot just because it gives more time for this change to take place. It'd be annoying if I had just gotten one in non-PTS, only to find that if I waited a month or two longer, I'd have gotten PTS. Granted, I'd rather have the car than no car at all... So it's all about balancing your risk tolerance.
There must be a rational reason why no PTS or many other
standard colors
Old 03-17-2015, 10:03 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
standard colors
What ever the reason is, we'll be the last to know. PCNA doesn't seem to concerned about keeping it's customers informed. Bad! Allan
Old 03-17-2015, 10:04 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think PTS is a no, but it's a "probably but with less colors".
Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
standard colors
Rational? Kind of. Depends on how you look at it.

PTS is tough because they guarantee quality of the color. It's tough because new models have new panels, from different suppliers, and often using different materials (in the case of the 991.1 GT3 RS, CF and Magnesium). It takes a lot of testing for PAG to be comfortable with the specific paint/color on all these panels/parts/pieces/materials.

So, it's rational based on the explanation above.

It's not rational/valid, in my opinion, because not offering PTS is the lazy / cheap way out.

@Eduardo can back me up on this. (Hopefully!)
Old 03-17-2015, 11:06 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I can't understand is why are some paint colours approved to be used on the different body panel materials, but then some say, there needs to be more testing done on other PTS colours. Are the paints generally not manufactured the same, aside from the actual colouring? I'm certainly not a paint expert, but to me this shouldn't be so complicated, but I guess it is.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:10 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 233 Posts

Third on the list at dealer. Only the first spot got an allocation today. Dealer says wishful thinking to get another one in 2015 and that should hope for 2016. Hopefully this is just all hearsay as I was hoping to get an allocation.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,650 Likes on 5,105 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
What I can't understand is why are some paint colours approved to be used on the different body panel materials, but then some say, there needs to be more testing done on other PTS colours. Are the paints generally not manufactured the same, aside from the actual colouring? I'm certainly not a paint expert, but to me this shouldn't be so complicated, but I guess it is.
I can't speak for the ROW, but at least in the U.S., from what I understand each different color offered by the manufacturer must be tested by the Dept. of Transportation (or some other agency of the federal government) for various safety issues, the most important being crash test.

So, for example, if Porsche offer a red seat belt, then that seat belt color must be fitted in a car, and then driven into a wall for crash test purposes.

So, now imagine doing that for the spectrum of colors that are potentially (infinitely?) available under the PTS program.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
What ever the reason is, we'll be the last to know. PCNA doesn't seem to concerned about keeping it's customers informed. Bad! Allan
Correct. Their attitude is appalling. I, for one, am very fed up!

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Rational? Kind of. Depends on how you look at it.

PTS is tough because they guarantee quality of the color. It's tough because new models have new panels, from different suppliers, and often using different materials (in the case of the 991.1 GT3 RS, CF and Magnesium). It takes a lot of testing for PAG to be comfortable with the specific paint/color on all these panels/parts/pieces/materials.

So, it's rational based on the explanation above.

It's not rational/valid, in my opinion, because not offering PTS is the lazy / cheap way out.

@Eduardo can back me up on this. (Hopefully!)
Sure GreenLantern buddy, I will back you up!

Originally Posted by bronson7
The feasibility tests includes fading and coverage...and that depends on the chemistry of every component of the paints - the primer, the base and the clear top-coat. Some colors will not cover with the same uniformity as others. For example, this PTS orange expressly made for a customer on his 997 Turbo was problematic. In short order, the paint on the bumpers & plastic parts didn't seem to match the rest of the metal panels on his Turbo!

So if they get approval for 'Ultraviolet' or 'Lava Orange', it doesn't mean that 'Voodoo Blue' or 'Signal Yellow' will pass that test.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I can't speak for the ROW, but at least in the U.S., from what I understand each different color offered by the manufacturer must be tested by the Dept. of Transportation (or some other agency of the federal government) for various safety issues, the most important being crash test.

So, for example, if Porsche offer a red seat belt, then that seat belt color must be fitted in a car, and then driven into a wall for crash test purposes.

So, now imagine doing that for the spectrum of colors that are potentially (infinitely?) available under the PTS program.
I don't believe the DOT or any other US agency tests each color offered by an auto manufacturer nor test for a change in the colors of a seat belt as long as the technical requirements for the approved seat belts stay the same. Take the aluminum foil hat off, Ipse, and get back on your medicines.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-18-2015, 01:09 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Thanks, as always, Eduardo.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Eduardo What is the latest PTS list? The last list I found you posted was from September, but was wondering if that has changed at all as some colors were under "F" status back then.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Eduardo What is the latest PTS list? The last list I found you posted was from September, but was wondering if that has changed at all as some colors were under "F" status back then.
My latest is the same - 9/09/2014 (attached) - but I will ask Matthew Henry at 'Porsche Exclusive' when he returns from his trip to Germany!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS You also will have a PM from me soon on a different subject.
Attached Images
Old 03-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
My latest is the same - 9/09/2014 (attached) - but I will ask Matthew Henry at 'Porsche Exclusive' when he returns from his trip to Germany! Saludos, Eduardo Carmel PS You also will have a PM from me soon on a different subject.
Thank you Eduardo and I will look out for your PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:00 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Z356;12128612]Correct. Their attitude is appalling. I, for one, am very fed up!

Sure GreenLantern buddy, I will back you up!

The feasibility tests includes fading and coverage...and that depends on the chemistry of every component of the paints - the primer, the base and the clear top-coat. Some colors will not cover with the same uniformity as others. For example, this PTS orange expressly made for a customer on his 997 Turbo was problematic. In short order, the paint on the bumpers & plastic parts didn't seem to match the rest of the metal panels on his Turbo!

So if they get approval for 'Ultraviolet' or 'Lava Orange', it doesn't mean that 'Voodoo Blue' or 'Signal Yellow' will pass that test.

Eduardo, I don't get it, (I guess I'm dumb and I'm not looking for anyone to acknowledge this). So why would they have to do another feasibility test on a previously tested 'Voodoo Blue' or 'Signal Yellow', say on this current model GT3 that already passed? Is it due to the different material used on the roof?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:45 PM
jumpstone
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News from dubai: just spending some days here and visited the porsche dealer today: they have 55 reservations and will get allocations of around 30! No allocations known yet! The most chosen colour will be by far orange cause it was the start colour in geneva, followed by white! Silver gt and purple almost not ordered yet! Maybe its of some importantce to some...

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread