Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

5400 posts!

You guys make for some great entertainment!!

This is like the Super Bowl, Presidential Election, and an old Mike Tyson fight rolled up in one!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Gents. I think we should caution about jumping to conclusions so fast.

Firstly the picture we see is not the true representation of the colour. It is the same as the first picture we saw of the 991 GT3 (see below) a few hours before the official information. As you will agree that red doesn't look like guards red in real life.

The steering wheel we expected. I personally not a big fan as you find this wheel on the Macan. Small detail. Also very suprised full sized door car with pocket seems to be used not light weight door card, only change seems nylon strap which is more a nod to "RS" than any meaningful weight savings. The last surprise to me was the gear lever being so tall. I was not told this nor did I anticipate this. I was told gearbox was essentially the same as PDK-S in the 991 GT3 and PAG now marketing this box as "Racing" PDK as they never officially coined the term PDK-S (we did that for them LOL!). However the tall gear lever makes me wonder if there are further changes other than possibly gearing?

I have a copy of the order sheet for the car last week. You will be pleased to know in Europe the Chrono can be ordered WITHOUT track (CR)App! I suggest that will be same for USA too. In this case I suggest you all order option 640!

Initial feeling is:

Negative=

a). 0-100 not a big improvement
b). 8800 redline (headline number down on 991 GT3)
c). Weight
d). Expensive jump up from 991 GT3 but as always secondary market will support decision to pay the extra....

Positive -

a). That Torque. if that is true its very significant and a sign of what is to come with this engine. 15lbft more than 7.2 4.0RS and probably fatter and flatter. This is significant and explains top speed increase.
b). Top speed 320kmph - very significant given extra aero and supports above torque increase.

Overall if the information is accurate Im very pleased. With this torque and aero the RS is a winner. The Ring time is a red herring. with 354lbft and the correct gearing plus massive aero this car will be an absolute performer on the Ring and on track and will kick everything else on the market shy of the new 675 for twice the money! Speciale? Not so Special now! Assuming this comes in around 170K USD (remembering no cage, Clubsport option of lightweight windows) then its s stella bargain IMO!! I believe the real Ring time will be below 7.20s!!

P.S. However we assuming the information we have been given in that new link is true and we have been here before and this early information could be inaccurate in places as its clearly jumped the embargo?
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2015, 07:26 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

The bottom line, is that it is a Porsche GT3 RS. The car is always better than the numbers state when you compare to other manufacturers.
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 210 Posts

Anyone know what tires are on it?
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think it looks good an I am excited to get on line in the morning. I am very happy for those that want one and get it. I do not track and aside from be a sports car fan I do not have an interest in getting one. To me, there is not enough separation from the 991 GT3 in my opinion. I am also excited to see the new GT4 because I find this to be a very intriguing model with the Manual 6-speed. I think these are exciting times for Porsche to be unveiling both these models at the same time but it is also interesting that those w/o an "in" will probably have difficulty getting one from the factory.
[QUOTE=rosenbergendo;12083509]10kg!!!! 25hp. 50 Euros more. Call me totally and completely unimpressed. A total miss in my mind![/QUOTE]

I have to say that I agree with the above posts and sentiment. I do have an order for the RS (who knows if/when I'll ever get the oppportunity), but I am having second thoughts now that these specs are "official". With options added it seems a price above $180k is realistic at this point. I'm not as excited for this car as I was for the GT3, and for an added $35-$45k over what I paid for my GT3 I was hoping to be blown away by the RS. I'm not...
I do like the exterior - ALOT! But as Jimmy D posted above, not enough to replace the one I have in my garage now. I'll "settle" for 475hp and the extra weight for now.
I don't get to the track very often and this RS may be worth the upcharge for you hardcore track guys. I can't afford a divorce if I have both of these cars in my garage at at the same time. When you really think about it, it make no sense to have both. It was *either/or* for me, so now I'm even MORE excited about my GT3 and realize what a relative "bargain" it is for the price.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Old 03-02-2015, 07:29 PM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a few more pictures.

10 pictures in the gallery

Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
Not too thrilled with the orange. Looks like Zanzibar to my eyes. Was hoping for something a bit more bold and vibrant. Most curious to see the mystery purple.

Vivian.
I love Zanzibar but it wont be that fashionable. It's a down to business car.
RS remember! 4.0!

Originally Posted by 997s07
Wow, so it weighs less than the 991GT3, but by 10 Kg? This must be a mistake.

Still don't like it, even if it weighed 100 Kg less.
997s07, see pic below.

On some tracks the .1 GT3 was just as fast as the .1RS.
Even some .2 GT3's were faster than .2RS due to gearing.

GT3 better deal in .1 version, but for what they gave you .2RS much better deal than GT3.
It does not matter, OK maybe a little if you sign up for the GT3 DE CUP https://www.facebook.com/PorscheGt3DeCup but the point is there is a RS version and you need it.

Cost a little more upfront but you get that back plus X factor when you sell it. The only thing we know for sure is that you can only sell an RS too early. Ask me how I know. SSTHO finagled 2 out of my hands only for me to give away another one, a 4.0 no less....

I made money, or depreciated very little on all of them after tracking them as much as possible, OK, A LOT, genius right?

No, I was fuking idiot in retrospect.... Because RS.
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Selvatico
Instructor

Old 03-02-2015, 07:33 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Selvatico
I just got a little light headed.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
That higher Race PDK shifter is inconsequential...if you pardon the intended play on the word! But I like its looks and will remind everyone of the sequential one on the Cup cars!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
More function follows form if true since we binned the stalk shifter with the 997 Cup. But I like the interior treatment.

Originally Posted by Macca

The steering wheel we expected. I personally not a big fan as you find this wheel on the Macan. Small detail. Also very suprised full sized door car with pocket seems to be used not light weight door card, only change seems nylon strap which is more a nod to "RS" than any meaningful weight savings. The last surprise to me was the gear lever being so tall. I was not told this nor did I anticipate this. I was told gearbox was essentially the same as PDK-S in the 991 GT3 and PAG now marketing this box as "Racing" PDK as they never officially coined the term PDK-S (we did that for them LOL!). However the tall gear lever makes me wonder if there are further changes other than possibly gearing?

Initial feeling is:

Negative=

a). 0-100 not a big improvement
b). 8800 redline (headline number down on 991 GT3)
c). Weight
d). Expensive jump up from 991 GT3 but as always secondary market will support decision to pay the extra....

Positive -

a). That Torque. if that is true its very significant and a sign of what is to come with this engine. 15lbft more than 7.2 4.0RS and probably fatter and flatter. This is significant and explains top speed increase.
b). Top speed 320kmph - very significant given extra aero and supports above torque increase.

Overall if the information is accurate Im very pleased. With this torque and aero the RS is a winner. The Ring time is a red herring. with 354lbft and the correct gearing plus massive aero this car will be an absolute performer on the Ring and on track and will kick everything else on the market shy of the new 675 for twice the money! Speciale? Not so Special now! Assuming this comes in around 170K USD (remembering no cage, Clubsport option of lightweight windows) then its s stella bargain IMO!! I believe the real Ring time will be below 7.20s!!
Generally agree with all the above with minor caveat/addition.

1. lack of 0-100 improvement vs GT3 - really couldn't care. Much more interested in on the fly acceleration such as 40-80; 60-120, etc and I trust it won't disappoint.

2. Same basic interior as base model. Yawn. Time to push the envelope.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:40 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I love Zanzibar but it wont be that fashionable. It's a down to business car.
RS remember! 4.0!

997s07, see pic below.

On some tracks the .1 GT3 was just as fast as the .1RS.
Even some .2 GT3's were faster than .2RS due to gearing.

GT3 better deal in .1 version, but for what they gave you .2RS much better deal than GT3.
It does not matter, OK maybe a little if you sign up for the GT3 DE CUP https://www.facebook.com/PorscheGt3DeCup but the point is there is a RS version and you need it.

Cost a little more upfront but you get that back plus X factor when you sell it. The only thing we know for sure is that you can only sell an RS too early. Ask me how I know. SSTHO finagled 2 out of my hands only for me to give away another one, a 4.0 no less....

I made money, or depreciated very little on all of them after tracking them as much as possible, OK, A LOT, genius right?

No, I was fuking idiot in retrospect.... Because RS.
That's my RS rocket. Weighs 100 Kg less than a normal rocket.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I just left off on page 361 of this thread as my bookmark. I will wait till tomorrow and read the 20+ new pages. I start work late tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM
karimgt3
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanna see other colors!!!!

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread