Sponsored by:

Consolidated 991RS thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
325/30 ZR 21's N0 are the standard rear tyres for the 918.
Right oh , Roger that, I guess I'm am easily excitable that they are tooled up for an RS
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Well the regular 911's are going turbo together with, or soon after the .2 2015 facelift that we already have seen in spy pics and is introduced next year.

I can see a C2S with a tune being faster than a GT3, just like the TT.
Maybe that's why they hold back and don't give those models the regular PDK. Kinda like dumbing down the Caymans.

To me it than makes a lot of sense that the new 991RS will be Turbo and as such the new Turbo side air intakes on the prototypes is logical.

The new GT3RS Turbo, or no GT3RS but straight to the GT2RS or whatever they call it (GTSTT seems appropriate to me) would explain the PDK-S only GT3 also because it would the only n/a application.
Turbo's are much better matched with PDK-S than manuals, so this than could explain why they never bothered with the manual 7 speed or retrofit a six speed on the new GT3 engine..

They can than upgrade the .2RS with a Hybrid system to catch all the lag of the Turbo like in the 918 and at the same time they plop that power plant in the new 960.

All in all bad GT news all around. The last hope could be a n/a Cayman 475HP Cayman...
That would still be less HP than all the turbo stuff and so justifiably cheaper..
Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^GT32RS? lol
Old 03-13-2014, 06:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Well the regular 911's are going turbo together with, or soon after the .2 2015 facelift that we already have seen in spy pics and is introduced next year.

I can see a C2S with a tune being faster than a GT3, just like the TT.
Maybe that's why they hold back and don't give those models the regular PDK. Kinda like dumbing down the Caymans.

To me it than makes a lot of sense that the new 991RS will be Turbo and as such the new Turbo side air intakes on the prototypes is logical.

The new GT3RS Turbo, or no GT3RS but straight to the GT2RS or whatever they call it (GTSTT seems appropriate to me) would explain the PDK-S only GT3 also because it would the only n/a application.
Turbo's are much better matched with PDK-S than manuals, so this than could explain why they never bothered with the manual 7 speed or retrofit a six speed on the new GT3 engine..

They can than upgrade the .2RS with a Hybrid system to catch all the lag of the Turbo like in the 918 and at the same time they plop that power plant in the new 960.

All in all bad GT news all around. The last hope could be a n/a Cayman 475HP Cayman...
That would still be less HP than all the turbo stuff and so justifiably cheaper..
u realize if that's the case, RS4.0 will suddenly become $1MM car cars
Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

...Turbo's are much better matched with PDK-S than manuals...
Sorry, but that's just marketing speak-I've driven pdk Turbo's and have compared them to my manual Turbo's and, alas, they are still just another automatic transmission car, not nearly as fun and engaging....
Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u realize if that's the case, RS4.0 will suddenly become $1MM car cars
Aren't they already?

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
Sorry, but that's just marketing speak-I've driven pdk Turbo's and have compared them to my manual Turbo's and, alas, they are still just another automatic transmission car, not nearly as fun and engaging....
I mean matched as in with the character of the car in 991's.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:59 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

told you to keep it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 358 Likes on 216 Posts

In other news,Nurburgring sold :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...00m-euros.html
Old 03-13-2014, 11:54 AM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait. There's "other" news?!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
^GT32RS? lol
No GT2/3 RS
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Come on guys. This is ridiculous. The GT3 RS will not get a turbo...

Look at the pictures of the black prototype. Yes it has the side intakes from the Turbo, but you don't see what is going to happen with it... just because one short-thinking journalist says "ah well if you have side intakes you must use them for intercoolers", you shouldn't jump on that.

There are no outlets for this air (like on a Turbo). Because this air is not used for intercoolers.

Look at the engine covers, those slits are way to small to allow a 3.8 or even bigger engine to suck enough air. Even if the engine is charged... Those openings are just big enough to get the air that is used for cooling the engine (look at the huge intake of the "normal" GT3 for comparison).

Therefore it is quite obvious that (as TRACKCAR said on the first post of this thread) the side inlets are just regular air intakes...

Maybe Porsche will build a GT2 / GT2 RS with a turbo charger based on the 991.. there I would watch for outlets on the sides of the exhaust pipes, like on the 991 Turbo or 997 GT2 RS
Old 03-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by hzoenvy33
Come on guys. This is ridiculous. The GT3 RS will not get a turbo...

Look at the pictures of the black prototype. Yes it has the side intakes from the Turbo, but you don't see what is going to happen with it... just because one short-thinking journalist says "ah well if you have side intakes you must use them for intercoolers", you shouldn't jump on that.

There are no outlets for this air (like on a Turbo). Because this air is not used for intercoolers.

Look at the engine covers, those slits are way to small to allow a 3.8 or even bigger engine to suck enough air. Even if the engine is charged... Those openings are just big enough to get the air that is used for cooling the engine (look at the huge intake of the "normal" GT3 for comparison).

Therefore it is quite obvious that (as TRACKCAR) said on the first post of this thread that the side inlets are just regular air intakes...

Maybe Porsche will build a GT2 / GT2 RS with a turbo charger based on the 991.. there I would watch for outlets on the sides of the exhaust pipes, like on the 991 Turbo or 997 GT2 RS
I totally concur; although I dont think the TT side inlets are being used to feed the NA engine intake (they dont in the TT/S), I just dont think that this car has the production decklid/aero on it yet... I would imagine the RS will appear with a GT3-esque decklid that has the usual "ram" air scoops on it.

As someone else pointed out, due to homologation rules, I dont think GT3 spec cars can be FI powered.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:47 PM
wurlie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The side inlets are used to feed the engine on 991 RSR, and it does not have the ram air scoop on the engine cover, whereas the 991 Cup does, and it does not have the side intakes.
They both do, however, use a Mezger derived engine.
Ho hum...
Best, w
Old 03-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by wurlie
The side inlets are used to feed the engine on 991 RSR, and it does not have the ram air scoop on the engine cover, whereas the 991 Cup does, and it does not have the side intakes.
They both do, however, use a Mezger derived engine.
Ho hum...
Best, w
really, any pictures of the engine bay showing the airbox?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM
hzoenvy33
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I totally concur; although I dont think the TT side inlets are being used to feed the NA engine intake (they dont in the TT/S), I just dont think that this car has the production decklid/aero on it yet... I would imagine the RS will appear with a GT3-esque decklid that has the usual "ram" air scoops on it.

As someone else pointed out, due to homologation rules, I dont think GT3 spec cars can be FI powered.
Well let's bet on that

I think the prototype does not show "everything". But you need air for the engine, even on the prototype... therefore I don't think they just use the Turbo side inlets for the prototype and get the air scoop for the real car. This would just mess up the whole packaging of the rear... you don't do that.

wurlie,
it doesn't matter if the engine is Mezger or Chinese to get the air from the sides So therefore not really a point. Maybe Porsche might use the side inlets to make a marketing link between RSR and RS.

Quick Reply: Consolidated 991RS thread