Sponsored by:

New C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Google Hennessey and lawsuit. I had one of the very first Vipers he did in the mid 90s and my problems weren't any where near what others have experienced but....
I was totally unaware...
Old 08-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Price and performance. But I get that looks are #1 priority for most.
Given a choice between a fast, cheap, unattractive car and a fast, expensive, good looking one, I'd choose the good looking one, as long as I can afford it.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:33 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to edit this. I just read about Hennessey, and I wouldn't have him do anything to my car.

Last edited by TrackFan; 08-21-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
yeah its over designed. and lacks sophistication.

and will have the typical ****ty north american interior. the kind you wont mind getting crumbs all over and eating in regularly.
The Vette or the GT3? : )
Kidding, but have you seen the expansive painted plastic and cheap materials in the GT3?
For $150K, it's not as nice as a Cayman.
The 991 cabin hasn't grown on me over the last couple of years -- a 911 is not meant to have an oversized center console and it is meant to have a continuous kneebar from door to door under the line of the dash.
And the wing on the GT3 is all show, it's such a hefty lump of no use.

I normally start with track setup, but there's slim pickin's, and I think the GT3 is already very close to being a track ready car (except for wheels and tires getting to 19's) so I'm starting with finding ways to tidy up the cabin and reduce the painted shiny plastic content (and put that wing on the shelf.)
If a third party offered a 996 GT3-like "console delete" I think the 991 would have a much more appealing cabin.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Nice that they can keep it NA, unlike all the 6.2L Camaros that use S/C to make this power:

Power:
• 636 bhp @ 7,000 rpm

HPE600 Performance Upgrade Includes:
• Ported Cylinder Heads
• Upgraded Valvetrain Parts
• Custom HPE Camshaft
• Stainless Steel Longtube Headers
• Redline Water Weter
• Professional Installation
• HPE Engine Management Calibration
• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
Hennessey Premium Floormats
Hennessey Carbon Fiber Door Sills
Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
Hennessey Exterior Badging
• 3 Year / 36,000 Mile Limited Warranty

Wow, I must see these PERFORMANCE items.

OH and Hennessey is nothing but a Ponzi.

Now back OT to the Z06. I simply want to see it get pounded on the track before I cast any judgement.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
Wow, I must see these PERFORMANCE items. .
You're not doubting the floor mats are you?
Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redleg321
I was expecting some 8,000 RPM small block cranking out 550+.

This is going to be one very hard to control car.
At the higher end of the horse power spectrum aren't the Corvette's notorious for becoming beast to tame?

Anyone who has one can keep their Z06's and ZR1's. Sure their fine to keep in a collection but beyond that I wouldn't have one. But I must admit they, GM, had finally upped the ante on the interior styling! Still have a minuted to go to match Audi or even BMW or Lexus. Just throwing that last one in for the fun of it.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
At the higher end of the horse power spectrum aren't the Corvette's notorious for becoming beast to tame?

Anyone who has one can keep their Z06's and ZR1's. Sure their fine to keep in a collection but beyond that I wouldn't have one. But I must admit they, GM, had finally upped the ante on the interior styling! Still have a minuted to go to match Audi or even BMW or Lexus. Just throwing that last one in for the fun of it.
It's a track car. It only needs to be good at turning fast laps.

Luxury is for street cars.

Nobody needs a Z06, Z/28, or RS for the street unless you just want to pose.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 PM
mgent
Rennlist Member

I agree with the others that these are both great cars... Not surprisingly, on a GT3 forum, people will largely prefer the Porsche...

I do not agree with those that disregard price as a meaningful factor (I have never owned a vette, and have owned a number of 911s). When comparing performance cars, price needs to be considered, as it speaks to the technology used on the car - Vette is cheaper than GT3 which is cheaper than 458/650s/huracan, etc... Same reason I'm not a fan of the GT3/458 comparisons... I am actually quite surprised at the level of advanced technologies included on the vette for 80k or 100k, but also recognize price is likely the reason for less weight reduction (expensive materials or processes), no DCT (expensive development for high torque), and less refined interior (materials). If GM wanted to build a $150k vette, it would likely have those sorts of things included..

I really like the new Z06, and the fact that it's kinda transformer-ish is part of the reason why.. If I was buying new right now, I'd prob get the GT3, but would love to have both. That being said, if I don't buy a GT3 and don't want to pay 180+ for an RS, I'd buy a Z06 in a second...
Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It's in the eye of the beholder, of course. The quality of the interiors in the Vettes I saw up close seemed ok but the colors, shapes and overall design weren't appealing to me. There are any number of sub $100K cars, Audi, BMW and even the less expensive Porsche models for example, that look modern and tasteful without being garish ....there's that word again. The fact that the Vette has memory seats and a backup camera is nice but I prefer the understated and classy look of the German manufacturers. TEHO.
Mike,

I don't disagree with you. The beauty of interior styling (be it Porsche or Chevy) is really dependent on the personal preferences of the end-user.

But for people to quibble about (not talking about you here) the 'Vette's interior quality is simply baseless. I've driven both the C7 (not the Z06 obviously) and the Jag F-Type. Both cars interior layout are nearly identical, but for about $35k more, the F-Type's interior materials and workmanship is not necessarily better than what you find in the 'Vette. And yet no one says, "Yeah, F-Type is a nice car, sounds like a beast, but that cheap interior ..."

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-21-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Nobody needs a Z06, Z/28, or RS for the TRACK unless you just want to pose.
Fixed It For You
Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 147 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Mike,

I don't disagree with you. The beauty of interior styling (be it Porsche or Chevy) is really dependent on the personal preferences of the end-user.

But for people to quibble about (not talking about you here) the 'Vette's interior quality is simply baseless. I've driven both the C7 (not the Z06 obviously) and the Jag F-Type. Both cars interior layout are nearly identical, but for about $35k more, the F-Type's interior materials and workmanship is not necessarily better than what you find in the 'Vette. And yet no one says, "Yeah, F-Type is a nice car, sounds like a beast, but that cheap interior ..."
Fair enough. There may be some built in bias there. You make a good point too about the Jag and Corvette interior layouts...they are very similar.....and I don't particularly care for either one. As you say, personal preference.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Got some bad news fully loaded Z06 $98,000
Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 217 Posts

That's not too bad.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:43 AM
armbar