Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HP wars are destined to end, however, light weight is not going to happen with the ever increasing safety standards and computer technology, which is heavy.

In fact, we aren't far from seeing hybrid system which are going to add a boatload of weight.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Chevy is now sponsoring HPDE programs in order to showcase the stingray at HPDE events. You can actually demo their cars at an HPDE. That is pretty impressive. Will Porsche ever step up?

Hooked on Driving Adds Chevrolet Corvette As National Sponsor
DANVILLE, CA – (Feb. 6, 2014) – Hooked on Driving announced today a new partnership with Chevrolet, to place 2014 Corvette Stingrays in high-performance driving events across the United States.
Hooked on Driving (HOD) was founded ten years ago by David Ray, who took a unique skill he had – the ability to drive a car safely at high speed on a race track – and used it to start a high-performance driving program unlike any other. These events were dedicated to building a passionate community of car lovers eager to experience skilled, high-speed driving on a closed course, and gain a deeper appreciation of their own cars' capabilities.
Hooked on Driving (HOD) aims to help make it possible for amateur drivers to capture the fun of driving on a race track in a safe, controlled environment. The group's coaches guide drivers to higher skill levels in their own cars, which typically represent a cross-section of high-performance marques from Germany, Italy, Japan and the U.S.
As part of the sponsorship, Corvette Stingrays will be available for HOD participants to experience, and if qualified, drive on the track at HOD events in its six regions – Northern California, Pacific Northwest, Great Lakes, Northeast, Southern States and Florida. Among the tracks that Hooked on Driving uses are , New Jersey Motorsports Park, Autobahn Country Club, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Homestead Miami and others.
“Partnering with Hooked on Driving provides two exciting opportunities for Chevrolet,” said Russ Clark, Corvette Marketing Director. “For our customers, it offers the chance to help them experience the full capabilities of their Chevrolets; for owners of competitive makes, it provides an opportunity to introduce them to the performance, design, and technology of the all-new Stingray.”
In a typical first session, a coach will ride in the passenger seat and teach the driver high-performance driving techniques in their own car. As is HOD's philosophy, all marques will continue to be welcome at its events.
"I see this as a big thumbs up to the enthusiast community from Chevrolet," said Ray, HOD founder and group leader. "They're willing to put the Corvette in front of savvy, well-informed car people. Corvette is an American icon and its seventh-generation model is the perfect example of a car that’s great fun on the track but can be driven every day around town."
HOD drivers can progress from the very basic Beginner group, where classroom theory and protocols are taught, through Intermediate to Advanced level driving skills. A driver can stay in a Beginner or Intermediate group as long as they want, as long as they’re safe and having a good time. Coaches are vetted, trained volunteers that help keep the cost of programs down. HOD programs can be corporate events, client entertainment or a reward to employees.
Most cars are fine for HOD – all the owner needs to do is be certain it is in good working order. The rest is up to them, but the results show that many develop very good track skills. Some move on to serious competition in other venues. Ray is proud to acknowledge that HOD has spawned many top level competition drivers – many of whom have come back to coach.
About the Chevrolet
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
About Hooked on Driving
Hooked on Driving is a community of individuals who share a passion for driving their cars. Founded in 2004, HOD is meeting its goal of being the first true, trusted national brand of performance driving programs. Hooked on Driving currently operates in six key regions of the U.S. including: Northern California/Reno, Northeast U.S., Florida, Great Lakes, Southern States and the Pacific Northwest. The school is focused primarily on providing high performance driver training for those with capable cars, in the controlled environment of a race course – without the pressure of competition. More information on Hooked on Driving can be found at www.hookedondriving.com.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,576 Posts

^ Interesting, I'm an instructor/coach with HOD. How will this work? Is the Vette available for rental at the DE?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Z06 or Stingray?!!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:38 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
^ Interesting, I'm an instructor/coach with HOD. How will this work? Is the Vette available for rental at the DE?
I believe that participation in the event and sufficient experience qualifies you for a drive in the stingray without extra fees. This is smart marketing by Chevy, IMO. What better way to get the word out through enthusiasts than by giving out test drives at a track event?

Originally Posted by kosmo
Z06 or Stingray?!!
Stingray.... for now, I hope.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:29 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Looks like the 991 GT3 and old ZR1 are pretty closely matched on Magny Cours (French F1 circuit) and Z06 is said to be faster than ZR1 (C7 Stingray a couple sec behind ZR1 on this short course)...

http://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2014-02mlkyn.png
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

The Z06 with 600+HP VS the 500+HP 4.0 RS..
Both arrive about a year from now.
Both will have initial production run issues sorted out.
Both need to outdo incredible capable cars.

Interesting to see what happens when the 30% cheaper, more fun, manual Chevy is faster than the RS??
Tactical prices VS brute power, but the differences are getting smaller.

The 991 GT3 PDK is getting closer to the 458 and seems a bargain in that respect, the Corvette is getting closer to the 911 and a bargain in that respect as well but one of the last good old manuals.
Than review the current over MSRP prices of the 997RS.. a 4 year old out of warranty manual 997RS or a shiny new Z06 manual that Chevy is claiming not to give you a hard time regarding warranty about even when you track it...

Than there is the bargain of the century Z51 Corvette at $60k...

Too bad about the Corvette's styling..
Old 02-07-2014, 11:59 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Interesting to see what happens when the 30% cheaper, more fun, manual Chevy is faster than the RS??
I think a Z06 might cost less than half of an RS (and a Z51 starts under $55k)...
Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 777 Posts

My spec would be like that, id take the loaded Corvette and a no option RS to get closer figuring looks make up for the lack of options..
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Too bad about the Corvette's styling..

C'on if its good enough for Scarlett Johannsen its good enough for us!

Its not as Fugly in black...
Attached Images   
Old 02-08-2014, 11:36 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I have to say that the new Z06 looks great, even better in person, straight out of a speed racer movie and the kind of car ya buy the poster and put on your wall. Cost I think will be well north of 100K and glad chevy/GM are marketing the track component with the corvette as well as as the Z28. But the Manual trans isn't really what we think of as a true manual. It has a lot of electronic doo dads on it, rev matching on downshift, hill hold feature which just like in the 7MT on my 991 Carrera makes in hard to feel the engagement of the clutch. The rev matching is becoming more and more common and feels weird as no heel and toe is necessary and the blip of the throttle is really unnatural. It looks like even the manual transmissions are taking away more involvement. After a year and a half with my 7MT a PDK that replicates a sequential gearbox actually sounds a lot better. I feel if they even were to introduce a manual gearbox in the GT3, most would be unhappy as it's no longer like the old days. An RS America or a 996 GT3 sounds like a great third car but the new tech always has allure. Glad I wasn't the only one looking at the real life Matchbox car 2015 Corvette Z06!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 AM
john weires
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I am perhaps the unusually car guy that has owned both Z06's (2001 LPE 427 and DRM chassis mod's) and 911's (2009 C2S and 2015 GT3 on order).

I hope this sounds sexist, but they are like two different women, each with their own special charms.

The Z06 is the voluptuous Playmate and the GT3 the super model.
Neither woman should feel threatened by the other, at least on a date with me!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:02 AM
gonzobreeder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry are those things real on Scarlett. Lost concentration for a while
Old 02-10-2014, 04:54 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzobreeder
sorry are those things real on Scarlett. Lost concentration for a while
Quick GoogleFu says no.....
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I have to say that the new Z06 looks great, even better in person, straight out of a speed racer movie and the kind of car ya buy the poster and put on your wall. Cost I think will be well north of 100K and glad chevy/GM are marketing the track component with the corvette as well as as the Z28. But the Manual trans isn't really what we think of as a true manual. It has a lot of electronic doo dads on it, rev matching on downshift, hill hold feature which just like in the 7MT on my 991 Carrera makes in hard to feel the engagement of the clutch. The rev matching is becoming more and more common and feels weird as no heel and toe is necessary and the blip of the throttle is really unnatural. It looks like even the manual transmissions are taking away more involvement. After a year and a half with my 7MT a PDK that replicates a sequential gearbox actually sounds a lot better. I feel if they even were to introduce a manual gearbox in the GT3, most would be unhappy as it's no longer like the old days. An RS America or a 996 GT3 sounds like a great third car but the new tech always has allure. Glad I wasn't the only one looking at the real life Matchbox car 2015 Corvette Z06!
In the corvette the flappy panels in the manaul turn off the doo-das so you can heel and toe all your want. Though I think the flat shifting do-da is good thing concept wise, never tried it though.

Quick Reply: New C7 Z06