Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014 | 01:38 AM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quikag
The source was specifically asked about road courses and he/she said the auto will be faster. Obviously that took me by surprise. 8 speeds, pretty close ratio and faster full throttle upshifts than the PDK gets it done apparently.

That said, I bet that rev matching manual will be a joy to use.

Do a google search on torque converters.

Initial power transfer is via fluid coupling which in drag racing actually helps as the power transfer from low rpm yields an increase in torque.

Road racing, the goal is to keep the engine within the torque curve when down shifting (rev match) to max acceleration coming out of the turn.

Unless GM has made a break though with the torque converter... the mechanical link (under these conditions) is superior. That is the advantage with a dual clutch transmission.

As I understand GM's statement... GM's auto trans shifts slightly faster than Porsche's PDK... under full throttle. That doesn't necessarily apply to torque transfer with downshifts.

Old 01-14-2014 | 04:03 AM
redleg321
Racer

I wonder how fast that 8 spd will get it to 60MPH and what the ratios are. 7th and 8th have to be Eco gears (maybe 6th too?) but what's first geared at? It'll be absurd if 1st gear tops out at 40MPH which would take a lot of fun out of the drive for me.
Old 01-14-2014 | 10:20 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by redleg321
I wonder how fast that 8 spd will get it to 60MPH and what the ratios are. 7th and 8th have to be Eco gears (maybe 6th too?) but what's first geared at? It'll be absurd if 1st gear tops out at 40MPH which would take a lot of fun out of the drive for me.
i think youre right but its a mute point for me as I'd opt for the stick.
Old 01-14-2014 | 11:06 AM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zeus
Hopefully a bunch of Porsche execs will be having a meeting in the next week or so to discuss if the 960 is a 'go' or not...

A 700hp NA V8 with equal or better power levels than the ZO6 & ZR1 will solidify Porsche's engineering dominance. Just sayin'

HAHAHA - Porsche's response will be a $275k++ car to compete against a sub $100k design .... SAD

I'm starting to think Porsche in not worth the money. I love the car but poor value
Old 01-14-2014 | 11:53 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trumperZ06

Do a google search on torque converters.

Initial power transfer is via fluid coupling which in drag racing actually helps as the power transfer from low rpm yields an increase in torque.

Road racing, the goal is to keep the engine within the torque curve when down shifting (rev match) to max acceleration coming out of the turn.

Unless GM has made a break though with the torque converter... the mechanical link (under these conditions) is superior. That is the advantage with a dual clutch transmission.

As I understand GM's statement... GM's auto trans shifts slightly faster than Porsche's PDK... under full throttle. That doesn't necessarily apply to torque transfer with downshifts.

I guess we will see, but trust me, this person would know exactly what he/she's talking about, like down to how many parts are in this new 8 speed transmission and the new LT series engines. If they have the torque converter locked and it can perform upshifts and downshifts faster than a human, plus you have 1 more gear, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be faster on a roadcourse. It's that simple.

Then, again, I'm an accounting/finance guy, so maybe I'm making the mechanical complexities too simple because I don't understand them. But, this person does.
Old 01-14-2014 | 12:10 PM
trumperZ06
Burning Brakes

I guess we will see, but trust me, this person would know exactly what he/she's talking about, like down to how many parts are in this new 8 speed transmission and the new LT series engines. If they have the torque converter locked and it can perform upshifts and downshifts faster than a human, plus you have 1 more gear, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be faster on a roadcourse. It's that simple.

Then, again, I'm an accounting/finance guy, so maybe I'm making the mechanical complexities too simple because I don't understand them. But, this person does.
Guess we wait to see what GM pulls out of their hat.

CO$T is always a consideration when developing the Vette.

Personally, I would prefer a twin turbo with a dual clutch trans... but I'm not willing to pay the price.

I'm now trying to convince myself that a ~100K track car makes sense.

GM does have a target market which limits engineering. It's amazing what
Corvette is able to do being held to a "budget" !
Old 01-14-2014 | 12:12 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by trumperZ06
Guess we wait to see what GM pulls out of their hat.

CO$T is always a consideration when developing the Vette.

Personally, I would prefer a twin turbo with a dual clutch trans... but I'm not willing to pay the price.

I'm now trying to convince myself that a ~100K track car makes sense.

GM does have a target market which limits engineering. It's amazing what
Corvette is able to do being held to a "budget" !

C7ZR1^^
Old 01-14-2014 | 12:32 PM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
i think youre right but its a mute point for me as I'd opt for the stick.
I'd be 99% likely to get the three pedal too but I am way too curious about the experience of driving a 911-eating $80k American car with a slush box automatic transmission that is allegedly "two hundredths of a second faster than PDK".

It makes zero sense and I hope the Porsche gods don't get too mad at me for such blasphemy!
Old 01-14-2014 | 12:42 PM
redleg321
Racer

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
C7ZR1^^
I think we're forgetting one word: Hybrid.

When Mark Reuss was in LA recently, he sat down to have a few words with the scribes at the Los Angeles Times. When the issue of a hybrid Corvette came up, Reuss answered with "Don't laugh." The General Motors president is a complete fan of the possibility, calling it "attractive" and "really fun," believing it would improve GM expertise and that "people would love it."
Pure speculation here but with a fatter supercharger bumping that 6.2 to 700HP and a couple of 60 kilowatt motors up front we're talking eclipsing numbers the Z06 produces.

Let me be bold here and take the pleasure of making the craziest assumption for ZR1: GM might have the 918 in their sights, boys!
Old 01-14-2014 | 02:12 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

It looks like the have no immediate ZR1 plans:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/c...not-happening/

It make me sad that this Z06 will cost less than a GT3 (as well as my 991S) and embarrass it on the track. The C6 Z06 was already quite a lot faster than the 997.2 GT3RS.
Old 01-14-2014 | 02:23 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

"Pricing won't be released for months, but a low six-figure base price shouldn't raise eyebrows..."
Old 01-14-2014 | 03:06 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
It looks like the have no immediate ZR1 plans:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/14/c...not-happening/

It make me sad that this Z06 will cost less than a GT3 (as well as my 991S) and embarrass it on the track. The C6 Z06 was already quite a lot faster than the 997.2 GT3RS.
There is so much WRONG information in that autoblog article, I don't know where to start. I think this was the same website that posted a picture of that photoshopped yellow base C7 and definitely said it was the new Z06.

Tadge said if you can afford a C6 Z06 (not a ZR1), you'll be able to afford the C7 Z06. Also, NO WAY IN HELL, will it have a base price at $100k.

Finally, GM would never talk about a C7 ZR1 at this point as it's still probably at least 2 years out (seeing as the C7 Z06 won't be out for about a year) and they don't want to steal the rightful C7 Z06 spotlight at this time.

Autoblog is apparently run by a bunch of idiots trying to generate unearned traffic on their website.
Old 01-14-2014 | 03:56 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

There is so much WRONG information in that autoblog article, I don't know where to start. I think this was the same website that posted a picture of that photoshopped yellow base C7 and definitely said it was the new Z06.

Tadge said if you can afford a C6 Z06 (not a ZR1), you'll be able to afford the C7 Z06. Also, NO WAY IN HELL, will it have a base price at $100k.

Finally, GM would never talk about a C7 ZR1 at this point as it's still probably at least 2 years out (seeing as the C7 Z06 won't be out for about a year) and they don't want to steal the rightful C7 Z06 spotlight at this time.

Autoblog is apparently run by a bunch of idiots trying to generate unearned traffic on their website.
I don't think any of that negates it likely being cheaper and way faster than a GT3.
Old 01-14-2014 | 06:17 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I think gm is over hyping this auto box. I doubt it's going to be as reliable, durable on hot days as or responsive as PDK. It may shift a useless for anything other than press faster, but I doubt it's as good all around. I like that they are challenging convention though.

I'll be awaiting all challengers to beat my manual Z06 at Road Atlanta with the auto Z06 or pull on me while I'm shifting.

This will be a 1:29 car bone stock imo. My TT did a 1:32.6 on MPSC at 3700 lbs with 600 hp, cheap CO's, pads, fluid, and a rear sway. Stock everything else. I could shave at least 2 seconds off of that now with better driving.
Old 01-15-2014 | 12:17 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
I think gm is over hyping this auto box. I doubt it's going to be as reliable, durable on hot days as or responsive as PDK. It may shift a useless for anything other than press faster, but I doubt it's as good all around. I like that they are challenging convention though.

I'll be awaiting all challengers to beat my manual Z06 at Road Atlanta with the auto Z06 or pull on me while I'm shifting.

This will be a 1:29 car bone stock imo. My TT did a 1:32.6 on MPSC at 3700 lbs with 600 hp, cheap CO's, pads, fluid, and a rear sway. Stock everything else. I could shave at least 2 seconds off of that now with better driving.
I guess time will tell on the autobox. If it's anything like current and older GM transmissions, it will need several software updates to get near perfect. GM always seems to release new transmissions with less than ideal programming. I'm sure this one will be no different. What I mean is it will clunk into gear or upshift/downshift in weird ways under certain conditions. Under most conditions, it'll be fine, but there will be unusual situations where the trans will fritz for a second or two. It'll all be fixable and GM will tweak it and you'll be able to get the software updates no problem under warranty, but it'll still be a little annoying.

I agree the newest PDK including on the 991 GT3 is going to be a better transmission overall than the GM 8-speed auto. However, there still hasn't been a PDK released yet from Porsche, save for maybe the 918, that is officially rated for over 600lb/ft of torque. The 991 GT3 PDK "only" has to handle a little over 300lb/ft of torque. So, it's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

All that said, I think the manual is the way to go. The auto rev matching feature is cool, too, so you can't forget (or never learn in the first place) how to heel toe downshift.

Quick Reply: New C7 Z06